-FOUND- have you seen my Unimog??? (it's been stolen) -FOUND- - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1986 Unimog U1300L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
-FOUND- have you seen my Unimog??? (it's been stolen) -FOUND-

My Unimog has been stolen by a rouge transport subcontractor.

I went to Sydney to get my Unimog off him, but they have moved it to a new hiding spot before I go there.

Last seen at 45 Chifley St, Smithfield NSW - Saturday 18/05/2019
google maps location

If you have seen the Unimog please send me a pm or contact directly Fairfield Police station (02 9728 8399)

if you have twitter, facebook, anything - please share

any help appreciated

Kind Regards
Andre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u1300l - 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2515838  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1965 404, 1980 MB4/94, 1983 240D, 1999 E55, 2000 ML55
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Holy crap I hope you get it back!

Good luck man!
andre_ likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 1988 U1300
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Geez; related to the financial dispute and hopefully for you getting the authorities involved may expedite a happy ending. If the police are labelling it 'theft' that puts you in a better place vs being told that it's a civil matter where somebody is holding it pending payment for alleged monies owed from somebody else.

A stressful adventure for you for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2019
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Andre, if your laws are anything like ours, that's not theft- it's a civil matter.

Some (but not necessarily all) of the legal challenges that you may encounter when attempting to label it as "theft", would include the fact that you gave it to the shipper and gave them permission to have it- they didn't break into your garage and steal it. And in order to prove theft, you would have to prove that they intended to never give it back, which in actual practice, is virtually impossible to prove.

It would be like if you loaned your car to a friend, and they loaned it to another friend, and you were not able to get them to give you your car back- that's not theft.

I am sorry that you're having to go through this. You may need to contact an attorney. Do you have insurance on it?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1986 Unimog U1300L
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochse View Post
Andre, if your laws are anything like ours, that's not theft- it's a civil matter.

Some (but not necessarily all) of the legal challenges that you may encounter when attempting to label it as "theft", would include the fact that you gave it to the shipper and gave them permission to have it- they didn't break into your garage and steal it. And in order to prove theft, you would have to prove that they intended to never give it back, which in actual practice, is virtually impossible to prove.

It would be like if you loaned your car to a friend, and they loaned it to another friend, and you were not able to get them to give you your car back- that's not theft.

I am sorry that you're having to go through this. You may need to contact an attorney. Do you have insurance on it?
It is theft, police is onto it.

The reason it is theft and not a civil matter is: an individual working for the transport company removed the Unimog without the companies permission from their property and is hiding it. The Unimog's current location is only known to this individual.
Ochse likes this.

Last edited by andre_; 05-26-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: additional info
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_ View Post
It is theft, police is onto it.

The reason it is theft and not a civil matter is: an individual working for the transport company removed the Unimog without the companies permission from their property and is hiding it. The Unimog's current location is only known to this individual.
Yup, that's theft.

And it's probably good news, in a way- if the employee stole the vehicle from the company, then the company is the victim of the theft, and the company no doubt has insurance, so you should be made whole, even if your vehicle is never recovered.

I wish you the best.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 PM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Time to have "Vinnie and Dino" pay him a visit with a baseball bat (I guess cricket bat down there) A few "Dancing lessons" I'm sure it will loosen his tongue on where your truck is!

Well I hope all works out for you.
krietpiel and bunyipben like this.

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
Any insight as to why a rouge employee has your truck hostage? Are you caught in the middle of a pay dispute between the vendor you contracted and their sub?

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_ View Post
My Unimog has been stolen by a rouge transport subcontractor.

I went to Sydney to get my Unimog off him, but they have moved it to a new hiding spot before I go there.

Last seen at 45 Chifley St, Smithfield NSW - Saturday 18/05/2019
google maps location

If you have seen the Unimog please send me a pm or contact directly Fairfield Police station (02 9728 8399)

if you have twitter, facebook, anything - please share

any help appreciated

Kind Regards
Andre

To be sure you are certainly the victim of a felony crime. In some places it is known as "theft by conversion". To put it simply when you give someone temporary permission to use you car but they never return it that is indeed a felony.

I do hope you get it back!

Una vita
One life
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavita View Post
To be sure you are certainly the victim of a felony crime.
If their laws are anything like the laws here in the U.S., the company he entrusted his vehicle to are the victims. The OP's involvement in this as the owner of the vehicle would be a civil matter in any place I've ever lived or worked. The difference here is important, because the company he entrusted his vehicle to has insurance, which means that he can be made whole again.

Quote:
In some places it is known as "theft by conversion".
It's not theft by conversion. The company he entrusted his vehicle to, has not converted his vehicle into funds for their use without his permission. His vehicle was stolen FROM the company he entrusted his vehicle to. HUGE difference.

Quote:
To put it simply when you give someone temporary permission to use you car but they never return it that is indeed a felony.
It's not a felony in any place I've ever lived or worked.

Please do not spread disinformation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in