LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What kind of Unimog do I want?

I started a thread asking for feedback from members who have purchased vehicles from two particular sellers. Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough, because most of the responses I've received were members that instead wanted to discuss what kind of Unimog I wanted or to advise me that Unimogs are slow. So I'm starting this thread to keep the other thread from getting cluttered up.

I'm looking for a long-wheelbase square-cab, over 25 years old, with a GVW rating closer to 26,000 pounds. We plan a fairly heavy, fairly large overland camper box to put on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 PM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Well I have a 1987 U1250 coming in with the heavy duty 8 lug two piece axles on it, with 3 piece split rims, 24 speed transmission with PTO's. Has a long dump box, but I don't think there is a dump cyl. on it. Should have it here next week. Needs some work, but only has 14k miles on it with 2200 hours on the motor. Let me know if your interested and I can send some photos when I get it here.

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VON View Post
Well I have a 1987 U1250 coming in with the heavy duty 8 lug two piece axles on it, with 3 piece split rims, 24 speed transmission with PTO's. Has a long dump box, but I don't think there is a dump cyl. on it. Should have it here next week. Needs some work, but only has 14k miles on it with 2200 hours on the motor. Let me know if your interested and I can send some photos when I get it here.
Thanks, Von. I'm not familiar with the U1250.

Large or small portals?

Wheelbase?

GVW rating?

Horsepower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
The U1550L is often considered to be a good choice for a Camper / Touring UNIMOG. If you are lucky enough to find one in the 1993-94 year model, you'll have larger portals, Two piece axles, and a wheelbase of at least 3250mm. They do appear with the 3700mm wheelbase as well, and this wheelbase is the target size for many camper builds.

I probably did not save the ads, but I have seen U1550L's with a camper box already installed and broken in, within the last year, certainly.

Finding such a truck in the US is not likely, but you never know.

Aside from the Dealers mentioned in Europe, I would definitely consider private sellers, with one wrinkle. If you do locate a truck, but it is in the hands of a private seller, I'd suggest working out a deal with one of the reputable dealers to get involved with the purchase, once you have done enough initial scouting to know that the truck is really a contender.

With an agreeable dealership, the language barrier disappears, they can do a technical inspection, and depending who the dealer is, they can handle the shipping.

MEREX has shipped a number of trucks, and it is not a mystery to them in the least. I have to admit that Neil and Rene are friends, especially Neil and his family, but I am recommending them based on my business dealings, not on my personal relationships.

The fee for the dealership to become involved would have to be negotiated and adjusted if necessary, of course. If you find a great truck, and decide that it is the one, then having a technical inspection at an authorized dealership is a plus. They will be equipped better than anybody to assess the condition of a UNIMOG, and if it is lacking in some regard, they would be able to repair it to specs.

If I was to bring a UNIMOG from Europe and it needed a repair, I'd be inclined to have the work done there. This is not a slight on anybody in the US at all, it is just that I'd want the truck in A-1 shape before it went onto the boat. I would not want to pick it up with an un-repared flaw, only to have to hunt down parts and a good repair shop before I could jump into it and drive it.

If I were to fly to Europe, Inspect a truck, and purchase it, I'd then be inclined to drive it straight to MEREX for an inspection, any subsequent repairs, and the addition of any options that I desired. It is just easier to get it all done in one place, with experienced staff, and in a country full of new and used UNIMOG parts. One could substitute another dealership's name for MEREX - I'm just telling the story of what I would personally do.

The Location of the mythical desired truck in relation to the preferred dealership (if you go that way) is important, because I doubt you will find a dealership that will send a mechanic on a road trip for you. It is a small UNIMOG world in some ways, and some dealerships have good working relationships with others, and in a like manner, there are dealerships that have a reputation that leads to them being avoided by the good dealerships.

Also, I if I were in the market, I would not ignore France. They have a lot of UNIMOGs in France, and they have auctions of their retired firetrucks. One Body style that the French often have used for their Fire Trucks is the 'Short DOKA'. This cab type has been used for a number of campers, because it offers up extra room, but does not eat up as much frame length as the Factory DOKA cab. Just a Thought.

Here are some photos. Aside from the Short DOKA Fire truck, they are all U1550L's....unless I slipped up. I always thought that 'POCO LOCO' was a great looking truck, and just the right size.

Best of luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poco-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2513398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2513402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6312.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	2513404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6313.JPG
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2513406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uninicat1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	2513408  

Name:	photo2.JPG-2.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2513410   Click image for larger version

Name:	04255 (1)-1.jpg.png
Views:	21
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	2513412   Click image for larger version

Name:	11734327.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2513414   Click image for larger version

Name:	14_1_1099_fancybox.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	2513416  
Attached Images

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 1981 Unimog U1300L - ex German Military
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
AC Price in the UK have a U1550 for sale.
It has been there for a while and I know the price is negotiable.
They could also undertake all necessary work on it and I’d recommend them.
They’re also only 10 mins drive from AV if you prefer them.

Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 1981 Unimog U1300L - ex German Military
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersburn View Post
AC Price in the UK have a U1550 for sale.
It has been there for a while and I know the price is negotiable.
They could also undertake all necessary work on it and I’d recommend them.
They’re also only 10 mins drive from AV if you prefer them.

Dan.

Sorry, forgot link: https://www.acprice.co.uk/second-han...nimog-for-sale

Ochse likes this.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 AM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochse View Post
Thanks, Von. I'm not familiar with the U1250.

Large or small portals?

Wheelbase?

GVW rating?

Horsepower?
go here for info on size of the 1250
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/uni...250-specs.html
The one I have is listed as having a 10000kg GVW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintag1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	2513450  

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: U1300L
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
ADF 1700s are being auctioned off. Though I’m not sure how long those will last. They are long of the appropriate age and very heavy duty. Only negative is the right hand drive thing which I’ve heard is not that hard to convert to left. Apparently the wheel is connected by a chain and sprocket to the left side. Maybe Atkinson would supply trade you the parts for the conversion stuff as they probably want it for conversion to right drive. Price is right too. Pretty good deal when you consider what you’re getting.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VON View Post
go here for info on size of the 1250
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/uni...250-specs.html
The one I have is listed as having a 10000kg GVW
The narrow track width, short wheelbase, 125 horsepower, and 73km/h top speed indicate that the 1250 would probably not be a good fit for us, but thank you anyway.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiMOGPrime View Post
ADF 1700s are being auctioned off. Though I’m not sure how long those will last. They are long of the appropriate age and very heavy duty. Only negative is the right hand drive thing which I’ve heard is not that hard to convert to left. Apparently the wheel is connected by a chain and sprocket to the left side. Maybe Atkinson would supply trade you the parts for the conversion stuff as they probably want it for conversion to right drive. Price is right too. Pretty good deal when you consider what you’re getting.
Yes, the spec of the ADF U1700L trucks would work for us, assuming we can find one that hasn't been beaten into junk by armed teenagers recently liberated for the first time from parental supervision (soldiers). The only downsides I can see, as compared to something like a U2150L, would be the 170-horsepower OM352A engine instead of the 214-horsepower OM366LA engine, no intercooler, no factory body lift, and narrower fenders.

The RHD steering uses a 90-degree gearbox on each end of a crossover shaft that runs across the bottom of the dash under a plastic cover. AV wants almost $6,000 USD just for the parts to convert to LHD. That's just not gonna happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in