Who has purchased Unimog(s) from Expedition Imports or Atkinson Vos? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Who has purchased Unimog(s) from Expedition Imports or Atkinson Vos?

I'm looking for feedback from members who have purchased Unimogs from Expedition Imports or Atkinson Vos, to help me to make my purchasing decision.

When I retire this fall, my wife and I plan to buy a Unimog, build an overland-type camper box, and do full-time RV living in the slow lane for about five years.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, G500, Volvo C303
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Either is highly reputable. Do not hesitate buying from them. Others are also equally good, but these two are great. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy, sight unseen, anything from Expedition Imports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokaTD View Post
Either is highly reputable. Do not hesitate buying from them. Others are also equally good, but these two are great. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy, sight unseen, anything from Expedition Imports.
Who else do you think I should be looking at?

Have you purchased a Unimog from Expedition Imports or Atkinson Vos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: a couple round ones
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Most on this list know of one or both those vendors and will only have good things to say!!! Do you know what size of vehicle your looking for as some mogs are better suited to camperization than others.. Give us some information on what your end goal is???
G Vavra
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosawboy View Post
Most on this list know of one or both those vendors and will only have good things to say!!!
I appreciate that many members know of them and will say good things about them.

But what I'm really looking for, is actual feedback from any members that have purchased vehicles from them.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:03 PM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
I have been buying and selling to Scott at IE for years, you will not find a more honest seller. I have also dealt with Simon at AV and have had good luck with them as well. Since you are here in the states, Scott would be a better bet. It just works easier being here in the same country makes life much easier when buying a Unimog. But don't limit yourself to only those two sellers, as there are many private sellers out there with great trucks for sale as well. You just need to figure out what you model fits best for your needs, and how much work are you willing to do yourself. If money is no object than buy one already done, just make sure you take the wife along to look at it before you buy!
Ochse likes this.

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
Scott at EI is one of the grand old men for unimogs in the US specifically but not limited to the 404.

AV is a massive resource for Ag and other working trucks and carries an amazing reputation in both information and supplying the odd bits and bobs.

Andy at VK Cars has had a hand in brining many high quality trucks into North America and is generally regarded as a top notch dude.

Merex in Germany is able to supply nearly gaggenau/wurth level service and support and is known to not sell crap, ever.

Hellgeth is the Vulcan’s forge for trucks that go fast, faster, fastest! Expensive but speed is a function of money and you are hard pressed to do better in terms of ROI.

Schussler offerers a wide range typically and offers renewal services if you want a turn key showroom truck.

The real questions here is not who but what; what do you want to use as the base truck and what do you want it to do? What are the limitations and restrictions you can accept? Unimog are amazing at what they are amazing at and a real donkey show at what they aren’t. The trick is recognizing the differences and harmonizing your want & need list to target trucks.

An good example is the fact that despite coming from the fatherland they are not designed for or intended for prolonged high speed highway travel. Despite having eight speeds in three ranges plus a gear splitter that effectively doubles this, you don’t go any faster as all these gears are to make it go slower! They are heavy and thirsty and expensive and a mystery to a significantly large fraction of mechanics in the US; they are not like other trucks. They are not a 4wd Winnebago.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. They are an amazing all conditions hauler and within reason if you can’t get there in a unimog you have no business being there. Sand, snow , mud, rocks, swamp: unimog can do it. Need to build a camper that’s a scale model of your house? Unimog can haul it. Need that camper to cross the Altar? Done.

It’s mostly a matter of matching the reality of the truck to expectation of the user. Race trucks can fly and do 80mph but they make very poor long term middle of nowhere working machines. Ag trucks can just about stop the rotation of the earth with traction and working rigs can carry so many implements you have no idea where the people fit but they top out at 45 and need WOT going down hill.

What do you want unimog to do for you and we can help you find and configure a solution.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VON View Post
I have been buying and selling to Scott at IE for years, you will not find a more honest seller. I have also dealt with Simon at AV and have had good luck with them as well. Since you are here in the states, Scott would be a better bet. It just works easier being here in the same country makes life much easier when buying a Unimog. But don't limit yourself to only those two sellers, as there are many private sellers out there with great trucks for sale as well. You just need to figure out what you model fits best for your needs, and how much work are you willing to do yourself. If money is no object than buy one already done, just make sure you take the wife along to look at it before you buy!
Thanks, Von.

The overland Unimog was my wife's idea.

I e-mailed Scott today. His web site only lists two square-cabs that aren't Dokas, and both of them are short-wheelbase vehicles with 6-lug axles.

I'm also trading e-mails with one of Simon's employees on a couple of vehicles that might work for me. I don't mind flying over there to inspect them, and I've got a customs broker lined up to handle things on this end.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1980 Model 406
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Puzzling question to tell the truth.

I lived and worked in the UK for several years back before the beginning of time and I am perfectly comfortable with doing business there. But when I needed a front axle for my ancient 406 which I could not find in america, I eventually bought the part from AV and was astounded at how difficult it was to get answers to simple questions about the part they were offering. The process literally took months.

If I had a choice between purchasing a vehicle in the US that would be accessible for inspection, detection and rejection versus a purchase from the UK that would require a long distance dialogue or trip to the UK, I would have to go through the closer process and determine I could not find the mog of my dreams before I would ever consider an overseas purchase as a viable alternative.

When you have to tell the UK dealer that their quote includes VAT ("Value Added Tax": is it still 20%?) not required for an export sale, you realize that you may speak the same language, but you are working off a different business model, and you have to pay close attention to the details.

The replacement axle was fine, by the way, and the details were all as finally understood, but there was alot of uncertainty until the part finally arrived.

So I have bought parts, not a vehicle, from both Expedition Imports and from Atkinson Vos, as well as from several other excellent parts sources in the US: my recommendation is to start as close to your geographical location as you can, and only extend your radius when you decide you cannot find what you need here.

Of course, if you are looking for a right hand drive Unimog, better to start in the UK or South Africa or Japan or Australia because the selection will be better.

But if your question is North American source versus UK source, the answer is pretty clear.

I have no experience purchasing a vehicle from either of your chosen suppliers, so I am probably not helping you with the specific input that you are requesting. Pretty unlikely that you will find a response from someone who has bought a unimog from both prospective vendors and can offer a candid recommendation.

Resource
Ochse likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resource View Post
Puzzling question to tell the truth.

I lived and worked in the UK for several years back before the beginning of time and I am perfectly comfortable with doing business there.
I have spent some time in Europe also.

Quote:
But when I needed a front axle for my ancient 406 which I could not find in [A]merica, I eventually bought the part from AV and was astounded at how difficult it was to get answers to simple questions about the part they were offering. The process literally took months.

If I had a choice between purchasing a vehicle in the US that would be accessible for inspection, detection and rejection versus a purchase from the UK that would require a long distance dialogue or trip to the UK, I would have to go through the closer process and determine I could not find the mog of my dreams before I would ever consider an overseas purchase as a viable alternative.

When you have to tell the UK dealer that their quote includes VAT ("Value Added Tax": is it still 20%?) not required for an export sale, you realize that you may speak the same language, but you are working off a different business model, and you have to pay close attention to the details.

So I have bought parts, not a vehicle, from both Expedition Imports and from Atkinson Vos, as well as from several other excellent parts sources in the US: my recommendation is to start as close to your geographical location as you can, and only extend your radius when you decide you cannot find what you need here.

Of course, if you are looking for a right hand drive Unimog, better to start in the UK or South Africa or Japan or Australia because the selection will be better.

But if your question is North American source versus UK source, the answer is pretty clear.

I have no experience purchasing a vehicle from either of your chosen suppliers, so I am probably not helping you with the specific input that you are requesting. Pretty unlikely that you will find a response from someone who has bought a unimog from both prospective vendors and can offer a candid recommendation.

Resource
Thanks. Your input is not without value.

EI would probably be my first choice, due to geography. I've been looking at a lot of other sellers across the U.S., but I'm not finding what I'm looking for ( BTW, the thread for "What kind of Unimog am I looking for?" discussion is located here: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/uni...do-i-want.html ). So I started looking elsewhere, to include AV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in