post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2003 U500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U530 Pricing

Anyone have a price list for the U530? Looking for a list with all the options priced out. How hard would it be to import one for purely private use? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 1981 Unimog U1300L - ex German Military
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Would help to know what country you’re located in.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
Import of a U530 into the US is a no-go unless you have some serious governmental body waiver mojo. The U500NA was federalized and even they had some emissions issues, pretty much not viable in California. The show & display exemption would be a way to bring it in but you have strict mileage restrictions and you'd need to make a case for why this one specific unimog is of such significance as to justify it.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
ACAD_Cowboy is correct.

Being located in California, you have two strikes against you, and Randy Johnson is lining up a nasty fastball for the third pitch.

'Importing is a Federal Issue, Registration is a State issue' is what I was told by a UNIMOG importer years ago. But, even with the theoretical wiggle room that concept might provide, California is the absolute worst State when it comes to the registration part of the equation.

Is it impossible ? Well, it is as close to impossible as you'd want to get.

If you do manage to pull it off somehow, whether registering it in another state or cloaking it in invisible paint, do not tell anybody here or anywhere else how you managed to do it, as I suspect that will lead to a knock on the door.

They are fine machines, and I may be in the minority, but I actually think that they look better than the UGN, although it is close.

Looks are such a minor consideration when it comes to such vehicles, especially when the Square Cab UNIMOGs easily take the "Most Handsome' crown when it comes to the current offerings.
yarr likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 AM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 250GD Wolf
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I am in that same boat, I like it better than the U500 for looks, especially with the cage (also the rear radiators have nice cages on them as well, this whole unit is on my want list):

Lets say you got it into North America (Canada's possible, it's actually on the list of approved vehicles for offroad use, I won't comment on the USofA), who's going to work on it the first time it tosses a Check Engine Light? Mercedes won't, you can be sure of that.

On the new Unimog U530, this is the Muffler, Cat, DPF, and SCR all rolled into one (surly not cheap to replace) Unit:

Yes..I can justify that "small tractor" for my vineyard...honest.. Wonder what the local shop that offers "DPF delete for all makes and models" would do if you drove this puppy in...

If you really want one, I suppose you could store it at my house, free of charge, fly up and drive it anytime you want. Really.

-Trev
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Price-wise, I have, somewhere, a page with the Current list price, which was in the $220K range, if I remember.

I do not have a price list for all of the options. If you are serious about this, I'd suggest that you contact Auto-Henne in Germany, as they are essentially the Factory Dealership, and open a conversation with them. They will be able to provide pricing. You can find it on the net, too.

Here are a couple of used ones that I had in the Files. I know that I have more.

So, since you are in SoCal, here is a thought. Mexico probably does not have any restrictions on importing this model of UNIMOG. Palms may need to get greased, but it is a model that exists in Mexico. The Dealer in Mexico City has posted photos of them, as well as the (for me) much more desirable UHE model. You may not have to grease palms at all, just purchase what you want from the dealership.

No, you still can't import it, but you could keep it registered at, say, a beach house near Ensenada and Surf Baja with your brand new UNIMOG. You could also, I 'Think", cross the border with it and drive it to Malibu. Vehicles with Baja plates regularly cross the border and travel all around SoCal. I see them on the Freeway all of the time.

Now, how long they can be in the US, and how far into the US they can legally go, I don't know, but if everything is legit, I don't know why a family from Ensenada could not take a road trip vacation to New York and back if they wanted to and had the proper visas. As an American Citizen, you would not have that hurdle.

You still could not import it, but you could own and drive it, and I bet you could manage to drive it in SoCal for stretches of time....maybe.

Swanning around Baja in a brand new quarter of a million dollar truck, in a place where the cartels are indeed active, are ridiculously well armed, and are of evil intent, is a whole other issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 1.38.00 AM.png
Views:	17
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	2512740   Click image for larger version

Name:	NDS8553024_NK17AKZ_1-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2512742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 11.39.42 PM.png
Views:	17
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	2512744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DbtVUkLXcAA667k.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	2512746   Click image for larger version

Name:	s1200-16.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2512748  

Name:	K800_MB Unimog U529 Gelb 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2512750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2512752   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2512754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-Unimog-U218-and-U423-Upfit-Showcase-14-800x533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	2512756   Click image for larger version

Name:	csm_Zweiwege-Unimog-U423-Strabag-Ungarn_fa580ec13e.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	2512758  

JimsMtnMog likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 250GD Wolf
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKTOR View Post
Swanning around Baja in a brand new quarter of a million dollar truck, in a place where the cartels are indeed active, are ridiculously well armed, and are of evil intent, is a whole other issue.
They make a model for that I think...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1365px-Mercedes-Benz_Unimog_U_5000.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2512764  

-Trev
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2003 U500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your replies. I'll come clean and explain myself. My U500 was caught in the Woolsey Fire and I'm trying to price what an adequate replacement would be. Its not really an insurance claim, more of a Southern California Edison needs to replace /fix my truck and the starting price is........... But I do like the idea of going to Mexico to pick one up, anyone know what the option code for a mounted GAU19 is?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

See now there we go, much easier to deal with. M37Charlie and TKV likely have sales data hoarded for the U500NA and your build is a matter of record so it should be fairly easy to figure out what MSRP was adjusted for inflation and “sentimental value” & “pain and suffering”. Remember it was only 1 of perhaps a hundred and each one was unique.

My condolences on the loss of your truck BTW.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I don’t believe there is an SA code for the M134T but wouldn’t it be nice?

-= Francis =-

A.E. Housman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in