Help needed to ship U1300 Germany>Canada - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
This lash down, via Mog Central in Australia, grabs the axle, without grabbing the actual axle. The tie down grabs the axle mount for the Torque Tube strut, so it grabs 'below the suspension', yet stays well clear of the brake lines and so on.

I'm not sure what they've grabbed in the front-possibly the lower spring mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24174243_895885093920986_622094376745709227_n.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2507894   Click image for larger version

Name:	24296667_895885097254319_4090964021673482112_n.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2507896  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: U1300L, U1100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Some U1300L have excellent lash points (most fire engines, Australian army, FLU 419) while others have terrible (or none) lash points such as German Army U1300L and civilian municipal vehicles. Your fire engine should have had lash points (D shackles) on the front and rear or the chassis rails but from the picture it looks like they were removed. If the brackets for the D shackles are still there, then it is wise to buy the shackles and re-install them. Also the lashing strategy, and to what degree you are going to lash the unsprung weight vs the sprung weight will depend on what type of shipping method you use, and if on a flat rack, where it is stowed in the ship and whether you are paying to be out gauge on width. However at the end of the day it is sort of a moot point. Regardless of whether you ship Ro/Ro or flat rack, it will be somebody at the port who lashes the Unimog. Some do a good job, some don't. While notes and the like might help, assume the batteries will be dead and also assume it will be impossible to jump start 24v at port. Of course you might get lucky but you should always have a plan for a tow out and bring a jump starter with your voltage.
photobldr likes this.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Mogauspuf Dual Tanks Other Goodies 91 F250 HD 4x4
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unirover View Post
Regardless of whether you ship Ro/Ro or flat rack, it will be somebody at the port who lashes the Unimog. Some do a good job, some don't. While notes and the like might help, assume the batteries will be dead and also assume it will be impossible to jump start 24v at port. Of course you might get lucky but you should always have a plan for a tow out and bring a jump starter with your voltage.
Finally, Unirover points out the moot point.

How to lash down is only relevant to you if you are going to pick up yourself, with the hauling vehicle. My research into Wallenius-Wilhelmsen was that they lash to SPRUNG WEIGHT, rendering your own supplied ideas completely irrelevant. This method is because packing is so close, they can not allow vehicles to sway with the ship's motion.

For my money (and I did put it where my reply is), I would ship RoRo, no question. I would also take care to verify drivability, with the exporter, (fluids, portal seals etc), and then have trip permits in hand and go pick up the truck (with friend, chase vehicle, tools and supplies), and drive it home. Which is what I did do. Involves the fewest extraneous organizations and associated unthinking boobuses. KISS

Finally, I wonder if some folks on the site get kind of burnt out on the same questions. FWIW, here is the link to a good thread on the subject of ocean transport/ delivery:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/uni...6-ro-ro-3.html

Final thoughts: Find and use a GOOD customs broker, one who has brought in older vehicles before. And DO YOUR HOMEWORK on the POE, they all have differing rules and procedures; you do not want surprises post-landing.

And enjoy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here my draft "Instructions"
I also got a RoRo quote from Hamburg-Halixa for 3.800,00 Euros which seems exssive. I may need to find a better forwarder/broker. Also, Bremerhaven may be better for RORO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2508502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2508504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2508506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2508508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2508510  

Name:	Slide6.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2508512  
ACAD_Cowboy likes this.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Mogauspuf Dual Tanks Other Goodies 91 F250 HD 4x4
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Baron View Post
Here my draft "Instructions"
I also got a RoRo quote from Hamburg-Halixa for 3.800,00 Euros which seems exssive. I may need to find a better forwarder/broker. Also, Bremerhaven may be better for RORO.
WOW. Very impressive instruction set. I would be surprised if much is ever read, but it sure can't hurt.

My RW1 came over March 2018. VK Cars was the seller/ exporter. I did not question his use of or history with Wallenius-Wilhelmsen. They were excellent, but the key was I monitored the on-route schedule changes myself, kept the customs broker informed, and did due diligence on the Port rules and procedures (which can be a bigger mystery or stumbling block than Customs itself).

My shipping cost was about $2800 USD. I paid about $300 USD for a COMPREHENSIVE, STATED VALUE marine insurance policy: no regrets on that score.

WW has a virtually direct connect from Europe to Halifax. Here is the link:

https://www.2wglobal.com/globalasset...ated-11.02.png
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, it's a bit wordly. I will try to simplify.
Thanks for the tip with WW. I'll get in touch with them right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobldr View Post
WOW. Very impressive instruction set. I would be surprised if much is ever read, but it sure can't hurt.
My RW1 came over March 2018. VK Cars was the seller/ exporter. I did not question his use of or history with Wallenius-Wilhelmsen. They were excellent, but the key was I monitored the on-route schedule changes myself, kept the customs broker informed, and did due diligence on the Port rules and procedures (which can be a bigger mystery or stumbling block than Customs itself).
My shipping cost was about $2800 USD. I paid about $300 USD for a COMPREHENSIVE, STATED VALUE marine insurance policy: no regrets on that score.
WW has a virtually direct connect from Europe to Halifax. Here is the link:
https://www.2wglobal.com/globalasset...ated-11.02.png
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
Good looking instruction set. Pictures can say more than words sometimes but it always pays to be specific and direct with meanings.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Nice work.

I don't think it is too wordy-seems pretty concise to me.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
I think what photobldr means is that for all the work and concise wording the deck apes probably won’t read it as much as we hope.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Oh, yeah, I completely got that.

If the sheet just said: START - GO - STOP , it could / would be ignored.

I was trying to suggest that it was good as it stood, and if, on the odd chance that a responsible person happened across it in the cab and actually read it, then it would serve them well.

What was I thinking ?

Last edited by TRUKTOR; 04-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in