post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: Unimog U3000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Extracting compressed air on a U3000

Does anyone know what the compressed air fittings are on a 2005 square-cab mog please? (Pic below)

I want to arrange a low-pressure airline take-off point, but none of my local engineering suppliers have any idea what the vehicle fitting is, or how it works. The Mercedes main dealer couldn't tell me either.

Surely this must be a standard thing? It's pointless to fit a separate electric compressor when there's plentiful high-pressure, dry, air on board already. I assume all it needs is the right adapter to convert the existing take-off point to a standard compressed air tool fitting, via some kind of pressure reducer.

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9066.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	2152170  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: U500 with Unicat camper
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Voss 232, I'm not sure what size, but it should be in the UGN bodybuilder manual. Also advice on where to get air for auxiliary purposes. Too big to upload.
Unicat took air off my system installing fording air pressurization for generator box and gearboxes.
Maybe you could PM me your email address?

http://www.voss.de/files/auto_400_do...system_232.pdf
Charlie

Last edited by m37charlie; 04-29-2017 at 07:19 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1986 U1300L; 1976 U900 Cabriolet
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You can buy an airline that fits those fittings, chop the other end and fit a standard adaptor to it. Getting to the spot to screw in the hose is a hassle so I wanted to add a half metre hose. Drilled out the white valve and fitted a female threaded connector with a short lead with quick-connect fitting to suit my air hose. A rubber boot for a chair leg makes the perfect dust cap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	file1-3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2153850   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-11.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2153858  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CragDuc View Post
You can buy an airline that fits those fittings, chop the other end and fit a standard adaptor to it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by m37charlie View Post
Voss 232, ... Unicat took air off my system installing fording air pressurization for generator box ...
http://www.voss.de/files/auto_400_do...system_232.pdf
Charlie
Brilliant help, thanks gentlemen.

I'll do some research about where to order these Voss fittings. Neither I, nor any local engineering supplier in the UK, had heard of or recognised them.

One thing I don't understand though (I'm new to vehicle air brakes) is isn't the on-board air at a very high pressure (18.3 Bar), unsuitable to take off directly to normal air tool hose? Of does the Voss 'test point' (that's what it's called) include some kind of pressure limiter?

Last edited by iridium_moon; 04-30-2017 at 12:54 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Oops! as Charlie said, it’s all in the BBM. Here are the extracts for the guidance of others who might be searching for this information.

Factory option code Y31 would provide exactly what I (and probably most users on here) would want: an ‘auxiliary consumer connection.’

But the manual also states: ‘… air can also be tapped for bodies and equipment at the auxiliary consumer distributor installed as standard’:

4.4.6.3 Tapping air at the auxiliary consumer distributor (standard equipment)
Every UNIMOG vehicle is equipped with an auxiliary consumer distributor as standard. This distributor is located in the area of the 3rd frame crossmember on the left-hand side of the frame and is supplied by connection 24 of the 4-circuit protection valve i.e. an air pressure of 8.30 - 0.20 bar is available here.

Free connections are sealed with an appropriate plug (part no.: A000 998 42 50). Once the plug is removed, a compressed air line with a suitable connector can be connected.

In order to disassemble installed connector components, the retaining screw M16x1.5 screwed into the auxiliary consumer distributor must be removed together with the inserted part and replaced with a new retaining screw (part no.: A000 997 47 34).

The vehicle is equipped with the connector system of Voss, series SV232, NG8, on the auxiliary consumer distributor.

Part numbers of suitable connectors for various line diameters are listed on the following (See pics below.)

Voss parts to extract air from the standard distributor also have Mercedes parts numbers, which makes it easy (if no doubt more expensive!) to order these few bits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Position of Aux Consumer Distributor.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2154042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux Consumer Distributor.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2154050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air extraction parts.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2154058  
ACAD_Cowboy likes this.

Last edited by iridium_moon; 04-30-2017 at 01:26 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, so I found the 'auxiliary consumer distributor' (pic below).

But guess what? All four aux take-offs are already occupied from the factory. Mercedes makes a big deal about providing aux air connectors on all Unimogs, but then use them all themselves. Analogous to when I buy my girlfriend chocolates, then help her by eating them all

So I'll need to find somewhere else either at, or downstream of, connection 24 of the 4-circuit protection valve. (This line supplies the aux consumer distributor).

The problem is, there's a mass of wiring and black tubing, all of which looks the same and is impossible to follow accurately. Does anyone know where the '4-circuit protection valve' is and what it looks like please?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_9070.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2155122  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I found this training manual for Wabco air brake parts:

http://inform.wabco-auto.com/intl/pd...50100033t1.pdf

Massively useful for anyone who, like me, is new to pneumatic systems. Shows every component, what it does, and why.
wengejor and JimsMtnMog like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: Unimog
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Install a tee fitting between one of the aux connectors and the distribution block. If they are connected with banjos, get a double banjo bolt and a second fitting.

You can then run that to your own distribution block, depending on what you're using it for. The plastic cap with the press fitting is likely a test port and might not be behind the protection valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium_moon View Post
OK, so I found the 'auxiliary consumer distributor' (pic below).

But guess what? All four aux take-offs are already occupied from the factory. Mercedes makes a big deal about providing aux air connectors on all Unimogs, but then use them all themselves. Analogous to when I buy my girlfriend chocolates, then help her by eating them all

So I'll need to find somewhere else either at, or downstream of, connection 24 of the 4-circuit protection valve. (This line supplies the aux consumer distributor).

The problem is, there's a mass of wiring and black tubing, all of which looks the same and is impossible to follow accurately. Does anyone know where the '4-circuit protection valve' is and what it looks like please?
iridium_moon likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Hi - great job on your truck- beautiful
Work .
Regarding tapping your air system,
Here is what I think :
I believe that you already have at least one air tap , possibly two,
But you may have not found them yet.( I could be all wet...)

I'd suggest looking in and around your air tanks, and all of the piping between your tanks and the regulators. The taps have a rubber cap, and they can blend in pretty well.

I have photos of a U5023 that I spent time with ( cannot post photos
At the moment ) , and the air taps are right on the rear air tanks. Pull, the cap, put the factory aux. air hose
On it (BW surplus), and air up your tires, etc.
I will post photos when I can.
Also , you can tap the system at the
Tanks, and if you have 'Glad Hands'
For trailering, you can use a trailer side fitting on the Red glad hand and tap the air, without taking anything apart. ( you just put the trailer side piece on the end of your hose and plug it into the Glad Hand-
For temporary use.)
There is a thread on here somewhere that shows a variety of air taps that owners have installed.
Still, I'll bet you a beer that you already have at least one, just waiting to be found. I would not
Take anything apart until I had done a good look .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Correction -" ON and around your tanks " - not in them. Ahem.
Yes - your first photo is indeed the little gem you seek. Like I say, they can blend in pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in