BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: Case MB4/94 U900 Unimog
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U900 (Case MB4/94) Starter Issues for a New Mog Owner

Gentelmen-

Let me first say I find this site to be awesome and a valuable resource. I have been using it unregistered for a little while and decided to join today.

I recently purchased a Case MB4/94 U900 406 that was not running. The owner unfortunately passed away a year ago and he left quite the mess in regards to wiring. He was a farmer and there were quite a few "farmer fixes" under the hood. The mice also made themselves comfortable over the past year in his absence. It had been sitting outside without the hood.

I'm not one to shy away from a electrical challenge and dove into things. After running a few jumpers I was able to get power the critical components needed to attempt to start the Mog. With the clutch pressed I pushed the starter button...... The solenoid clicks and the starter motor fires up, but it is not cranking the engine. I let go of the button and the starter motor decelerates. I try a few more times and it's evident that the starter gear is missing it's teeth or it is not shooting out to engage the fly wheel.

I'd like to know what you guys think. My plan is to remove the starter after I figure out how to tilt the cab and bench test it. Is there a starter rebuild kit or should I go with this gear reduction starter off ebay:

New Gear Reduction Starter Fits Unimog U 800L U 900 AZJ3299 MT66BA 5001836 11360 | eBay

The price seems a little too good to be true, and I'd like to stick with OEM stuff. Has anyone rebuild an original starter or used one of the eBay gear reduction starters? The ad says they fit a OM353, but I imagine they fit the OM352 as well....

Let me also say that the battery is a new Optima blue top and it's also hooked up to a 100A charger/jump starter. My other though was that the fork that moves the gear out into start position is stuck? But if that was the case I don't think the starter motor would move, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Anyway, here's some pics. I can take vide of the problem if needed and post it as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1969 404.1, 1987 300SDL, 1999 C230K
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I thought that your Unimog would be a 24V system. Do you only have one battery installed?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Canuck View Post
I thought that your Unimog would be a 24V system. Do you only have one battery installed?
All CASE trucks were 12v originally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Canuck View Post
Yes, only one battery. That's how I picked it up from the original owner's wife. I was under the assumption that Case MB4/94 was a 12V system. I guess I need to research more, or if anyone can enlighten me, it would probably be a good thing to know...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1969 404.1, 1987 300SDL, 1999 C230K
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VON View Post
All CASE trucks were 12v originally.

Von knows about CASE trucks. Yours should be 12V. I must have been thinking about the SEE versions.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1976 406
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You can pull the starter without tipping the cab.

BWSwede
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 84 U 900 Sold, 71 406 AG Sold
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There's an access panel for the starter motor next to the accelerator pedal. I'd removed it and try bumping the starter while tapping on it, might free up.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwswede View Post
You can pull the starter without tipping the cab.

BWSwede
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmog View Post
There's an access panel for the starter motor next to the accelerator pedal. I'd removed it and try bumping the starter while tapping on it, might free up.
This is great info. Thank you. I think my floor board may have some repairs made to it, but I'll check. Perhaps what I thought was a repair is actually a access cover. I'll check when I get home from work today.

Also, in an attempt to to be a better Unimog owner I purchased this factory Case service and repair manual off ebay:

Original Case Unimog MB4 94 Service Repair Overhaul Manual Book 9 66021 | eBay

The price was a little steep, but will probably be money well spent in the long run.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are very welcome.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay, I had a couple minutes to check out the removable service panel on the right side of the driver's floorboard. It looks like that is for both starter R&R and throttle work.

Has anyone ever taken one of these starters apart to clean the armeture, fork, etc? Are they similar to GM starters? They are the only ones I've ever rebuilt. Perhaps there is only one way to find out.....

The eBay people need the part number off my current starter to see if the gear reduction one will work. I may just buy one from VON since it seems like he knows his stuff.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Von's probably had more Case Mogs pass through his hands than anyone else on this board. He's got orange under his fingernails.

Von, didn't you have some high speed starters made at one point? They sounded like the old school pneumatic starters for big rigs if I remember correctly. Kinda cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in