LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: na
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I see the passenger side both doors and the B pillar, so make sure to look under the floor as well?

A little rust is not a deal breaker for me, you should see the rust on my 36' and 37' ford pickups or my old 52' M38.

Just hard to find a comparable recent sale to know value with these flaws. Any Guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Other Option Better?

There is another Doka 406 listed on Unimogshop, but for $65k
http://unimogshop.com/ads/1984-merce...406-doka-sale/

This machine has less miles and looks much cleaner, but what is the better value?

Hard to come up with $65k for a toy.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadougrand View Post
I see the passenger side both doors and the B pillar, so make sure to look under the floor as well?

A little rust is not a deal breaker for me, you should see the rust on my 36' and 37' ford pickups or my old 52' M38.

Just hard to find a comparable recent sale to know value with these flaws. Any Guesses?
unimog prices are sometimes erratic. sont be surprised if the biggest pos sell for the highest price. the pics show a very well used and tired machine. i would value it at maybe $15000 at the most even if it is a doka.
treebogan and sdibaja like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 AM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Doka prices are climbing, as they are not making any new ones, and they did not make many to begin with! That said, the 416's sell for more than the 406's. Be aware, that truck might require over $20k to be make right! But will be worth more when right! As for the rusted doors, we will soon have steel door skins, both front and rear for sale!! I will have them listed on my site once ready. Everything that you want would be easier to find on a 416, vs a 406 tug. But you will most likely have to spend a bit more $$ to get all that you want.

Last edited by VON; 01-03-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1981 Case 406
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello,
if the asking price is 28.5 and you are still looking, that means that you must have the coin to do the deal. And that is fine as long as you know what you are doing. There are quite a few big wigs on here that have chimed in. Some of them are direct like I tend to be, not b/c I don't want you to have it but b/c you should make a smart buy. Others that have commented are a bit more conservative and you really must read between the lines and so far the comments need to be taken seriously.
The cab and tin work will require extensive work, that has already been established. That is normal for a truck as old as it is. The drivetrain probably will need to be addressed as well. It all depends if you wish to own a boulevard cruiser or just a capable buggy to carry you from point A to point B. If the latter is the case then the tin is not very important as long as it doesn't fall on your head.
15 thou sounds reasonable. I don't think I'd offer more. There is or was a complete Doka cab for sale on here on page 11 in the Wanted/For Sale ads section. The cab was also green and had the more desirable high top roof. Yes, the seller was in Greece but the cab looked like a real winner and the price was very very low. I think if I were to do a resto I would definitely call Greece.
I think it will be kinda costly to redo this Doka cab that you're looking at. There are a few fellows on here that have had the experience and pleasure of exploring such a Doka cab rebuild. You should definitely get in touch with them to find out where the problem spots are...
I wish you all the best. More power to you. Glad to see that you are still fighting. You've got the Mog spirit. Two thumbs up.
Cheers Rolf
...and we still don't know your name or your location.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Uni406, Von, Tmax. Mike Wright and I live in Southern Idaho up against the Humboldt Wilderness/Forest which allows me to drive out the back door for almost all my play.

Appreciate all the comments. A lower price is always better, but on the same token I want to be fair to the seller. I am not out for a steel, just don't want to be on the wrong end of a lopsided trade.

I was casually looking before this one came up, but since it is so close to home I have become more serious.

I see the 15k comments, but I have been looking in Europe as well as USA and the only Doka I saw come up for that price in the last 2 years was a 404 in Vegas. In fact I weekly track about 10 websites to see what is new, but I am not finding anything down in the 20's that looks like something I want. Dokas seem to be on for very high prices or located in Europe and hard to get at.

My uses will be either pushing through drifts looking for something to hunt in the winter, pushing drifts out of the way in my driveway or pushing through mud in early spring cabin fever time of the year when you know you will get stuck, but can't help yourself from trying. I'll be driving the same roads that I drive my old jeep on, just in that colder wetter/messier time of year and staying within 25mi of my house, with most of those roads 2 lane dirt tracks.

I dont need anything fancy, but that being said who doesn't try to continuously improve there wagons.

Again thanks all for the advice. If I pull the trigger I am sure I will be contacting every one of you for parts and advice.

MW
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 250GD Wolf
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You wanna play you gotta pay no such thing as a cheap diesel Unimog, you either pay up front for a good unit, or pay over time to repair one. DoKa's are rare and automatically demand a premium, regardless of condition. Personally, I pay up front, for the ability to enjoy right away, if your handy, and can wrench on you own iron, and prepared to do some repairs and rust doesn't scare you, that could be a diamond in the rough. If your unsure, perhaps there's a forum member close that could go look at it with you.

One thing I can't personally repair, is rust. Just not in my skill set, so rust free, is worth more to me.

Also, no way my dogs would ride in a 406 at full throttle, too loud. A square cab yes, a round cab, maybe after extensive sound deadening. Maybe. But they are wee little fellas.

-Trev
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I worked in a body shop as the mechanic general fix it man when I was younger in another life so while it is better value paying someone to do it and working at my current job, I can still do it if I need to.

Do wise, my labs are used to riding in the 185 and Super Cub so they dont mind so much; especially if we are going hunting. Side note, if you take a dog for a first ride in an airplane, take the collar off; makes it interesting when they get hooked on it. A little too interesting for my taste.

Thank you for your opinion.

MW
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
do you actualy need a 406? if not, if i were you, i would 100% stay away and would look for a 416 regardless of the cost.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 84 U 900 Sold, 71 406 AG Sold
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmax View Post
do you actualy need a 406? if not, if i were you, i would 100% stay away and would look for a 416 regardless of the cost.
I would have to agree, If I was going to buy a DoKa it wouldn't be in a 406!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in