new SBU UNIMOG underdash air conditioning! - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
You might be able to get a VA unit in there, but I think it'll be tight. As you have no doubt seen, they have dimensioned drawings of their various offerings on their website.
I think one of the challenges,will be to get the ducting through the firewall, especially if
You keep the original heater. The central rectangular port is tight, but maybe you can do
A version of what you have shown on the UHN, and tap into the existing plastic duct, on the right hand end. I think you might have to add a controllable flap to keep the A/C from
Blowing out the cowl intake. One good thing is that the VA controls are 'fly by wire ', so you
Would not have to rig up cables and sliders like the old days.
Someone mentioned the Unit that mounts to the rear cab wall- that is worth checking into,
And would be a simpler rig. The fellow that built the nice camper on here (4Xexplorer I think) has a unit in that position. There was also a U1750 armored SWAT truck that sold in the US with a similar mount. Red dot and Greentop both offered these I think.
If you still have the double military bench seat on the passenger side, I think you might be able to get one of the VA units under it, running the ducting up the back wall.Keeping the VA unit inside the cab somewhere will eliminate the need to put it in an insulated box, which
I think you might wind up with of you put it into the engine bay.
Another possible solution is to look at the units for construction equipment - Redtop makes
Some of them. They are similar to a rooftop unit, but they mount to the side of the cab on the outside, and are built to operate in dusty conditions, blowing cool filtered air into the cab. I looked into them, with a thought to having it feed either into the cab or the camper...
Although having the engine running when parked, just to run the A/C didn't make much sense. My box has a void up front that would take the unit, but I'm not sure where you could mount it with the Ambulance box.

Or:
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-co...onditioner.jpg
http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/red...onditioner.htm
http://fishfearme.blogs.com/.a/6a00d...2c61227970d-pi

Last edited by TRUKTOR; 06-14-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
VA unit really needs to be mounted inside the cab. If I were a Unimog dealer of any sorts, I would spend my time building up a new center and glove box dash setup to allow installing a VA unit in the dash while keeping the glovebox. If I had the motivation, I could make a really sweet dash in very little time.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2003
Vehicle: G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncouch01 View Post
Anyone commenting on this thread own a Green Top in dash care to weigh in on pros and cons of this unit?
I have one in the 2450. It's pretty good. It is really well customized to the SBU. The pump goes on a v-belt, and you get the bracket and a bolt-on pulley for the v-belt. The evaporator goes behind the driver's step under the cab (actually they give you a whole new step with it built in). You can install one in a day, and you won't even need to go to the hardware store for anything. Every last bolt and zip tie is in the kit.

Pro:

No fabrication needed - they supply everything, including the mounts for the compressor etc.

Appearance - the vents are integrated to the bottom of the dash, so it looks factory.

Fit - it doesn't take up any space inside or outside. It's cleverly hidden away.

Performance - it can keep the cab cool even in SoCal summer. Just about.

Vents - you can direct a cold stream of air at your face, so it's nice while it cools the rest of the cab down.

Con:

Expensive.

Performance - it keeps up, but only just. You really need to help it with tinted glass and extra firewall insulation.

Instructions - pretty bad. You will be doing plenty of head-scratching. But it all goes together once you figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9537.JPG.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	991145  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1986 U1300L; 1976 U900 Cabriolet
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Being RHD the VA is not an option so bought and fitted a Sanden SD7 24v compressor (pictured), a condenser the same width as the radiator and an under-dash style evaporator unit. For various reasons I'm now considering ditching the condenser and evaporator and going for a rooftop unit. My Binz box is already higher than the cab so a rooftop poses no real height problems for me.

I have the RHS turret and don't want to cut up the roof to remove it.......unless I really need to.

Does anyone see downsides with fitting a Reddot R6100 to the LHS of the roof? Any good 24v alternatives to the Reddot for rooftop mounting?

I'll be in SF next week so may go and see what EI has on offer.

Thanks - Craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Compressor fitted.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1281682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt clearance with air compressor.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1281690  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CragDuc View Post
Being RHD the VA is not an option so bought and fitted a Sanden SD7 24v compressor (pictured), a condenser the same width as the radiator and an under-dash style evaporator unit. For various reasons I'm now considering ditching the condenser and evaporator and going for a rooftop unit. My Binz box is already higher than the cab so a rooftop poses no real height problems for me.

I have the RHS turret and don't want to cut up the roof to remove it.......unless I really need to.

Does anyone see downsides with fitting a Reddot R6100 to the LHS of the roof? Any good 24v alternatives to the Reddot for rooftop mounting?

Thanks - Craig
Why does right hand drive preclude you from the VA? Is the right hand drive just a control extension with left hand controls still partially intact?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

The VA unit was my first choice. The pedals and steering are now on the RHS so it cannot fit there (as yours is) and the steering shaft on the LHS means that it wont fit there either.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 250GD Wolf
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CragDuc View Post

Thanks - Craig
There's a good post someplace on here about the roof top units, I'll see if I can dig it up, basically (in a centrally mounted case, ie, square roof hatch) the ear closest to the unit freezes, the one closest to the window bakes from the sun And your legs, feet, etc, don't cool down.

Also it's (in some opinions) ugly, and a tree branch catcher

Edit, it's a few posts back in this very thead.

-Trev
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Given mine is RHD it should freeze my left ear rendering it temporarily deaf.......I see only benefits.

I did check out the other rooftop posts and have read DokaTD's post a few times as his installation is really neat. Ursus585 built a custom unit from Subaru parts and made it fit under the LHS footwell with part of the unit on the engine bay side of the firewall. I'd rather fit something off the shelf if possible and the roof option keeps the cab interior uncluttered. The Reddot should be capable of pushing a few branches out of the way and I take it very gently while offroad.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 250GD Wolf
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Reddot also makes a VERY heavy duty model, all metal case, very stout looking. Used in mining and agriculture I think. I like how easy it is to pop open and service (or remove small critters in Aus? )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJBoE7yJMVJ(eBPHsqKRd0!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1282169   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJBIE7)0fnHpuBPHsqy0o1g~~60_57.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1282177   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJCEE7zCqyvKEBPHsrH8cV!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1282185   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!l0E8F6z9HFLBPHsrcTK4!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1282193   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJCgE7zC,OsU7BPHssFuS+g~~60_57.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1282201  

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJCUE7zPq)sl-BPHsswY94w~~60_57.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1282209   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJCME7zB5TcL5BPHstFHnRw~~60_57.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1282217   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!g0E7ShTkF5UBPHtHOQhQ!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1282225  

-Trev
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

So I'm not sure you couldn't still fit the VA unit under the LHS Dash. I think it would be higher than the steering column. But please do not quote me on that as I'm just guessing. The VA unit really does not stick down all that much and honestly could be placed higher than I did.

On another note, I am working on an A/C system for another smaller truck I am buying and I believe I might try the Bare Red Dot system. It's basically all the components without a real case and is intended to mount under a seat or in a tool box etc. It should easily replace the existing heard of my new truck and add A/C at the same time while only taking up a little more space. From there you just have to run vent tubing etc. It's worth a look anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in