Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that thing is like a peanut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: U1100 cabriolet (former troop carrier)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Put a gasser in the smart and....junk. Great concept

Small car with Large interior built for Europeans not miniaturized for "Asians" ( don't kid yourself, very safe car ) gasified for USofA Why??? American's and their dislike of diesel. Diesel is the way to go...
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 c280, 2009 320 ML BT, 2011 ML 550 Grand Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to morbid angel
did you guys see "smart brabus" ? lol.
My opinion is the smart is not so smart if you think about the trade off. Sure you save on fuel and easy parking job, but if you get hit by another car what are the chances you going to walk away from it? The car is design to compact on it self and absorb the damage. Smart has no where to compact to, just on you.
And its not just my opinion, there was a study recently done at a university talking about this very same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 'Tweaked' V220 'Ambiente'
Tridion safety Shell

Unsafe? they are one of the hardiest cars on the road!!!

Bear in mind That the lighter car has less momentum, and will not carry on rolling on, should the plot be lost completely. The wheels are set into each corner, and are very difficult to lift. (I tried. REAL hard. On a roundabout, full lock full power. just span out, eventually) The engine is set to the rear, and is designed to break away in the event of a catastrophic flipping and flying incident. The Tridion safety shells are a mega strong all encomassing hemispherical shell, unseen in any other car... Have you not seen the TV advert where they drop a wrecking ball into the front of one?

Thought it was fake?

Last edited by haggis_eater; 01-28-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Because I'm too stoopid to embed objects!
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
I have owned one for about a year and absolutely love it. I figure it has to be safer than a motorcycle, correct? Plus I live in DC and just drive it around the city with few excursions on the actual highway and out into the suburbs. Never have a problem finding a parking space!!
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
My 2005 has 100,000 miles on it and a lifetime fuel economy of about 60 US MPG. No worries there. My 2006 BRABUS model is still working on its first 6000 miles.....
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Small cars are definitely the vehicle of the future, at least until we find a way to power our cars with water then weight won't matter. The difference in weight that causes damage and injury when a Smart is in an accident with a larger vehicle will remain however, until the larger vehicles have all reached the end of their life cycle and the roads are populated with equally small vehicles. The wrecking ball demo was interesting, but you have to realize that ball weighs many times less than an automobile and the speed was negligible, so not an accurate portrayal of the real world.

I'm not a Smart car hater, I love them and wish there were no large SUV's allowed within city limits so we could all drive these and Mini's, etc. more safely.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talking

Just can't get by the 35-40 MPG rating for such a small car,If it got 100MPG I could see it!!! My SL-500 gets nearly 30MPG and is a SAFE car. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how an educated Human could drive one of these death-traps, I guess they(in their own mind) feel like there saving the planet. I'm sorry if this sounds HARSH, Just the way I feel!!!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
Quote:
Originally Posted by drags1998 View Post
My SL-500 gets nearly 30MPG and is a SAFE car.
If you can get 30 MPG out of one of those gas pigs, then you would get 50+ out of a gas smart, and 80 out of my diesels.

SAFE, is it? Designed by the same folks who designed the smart, so yeah it could be, because it's a post-1998 model
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drags1998 View Post
Just can't get by the 35-40 MPG rating for such a small car,If it got 100MPG I could see it!!! My SL-500 gets nearly 30MPG and is a SAFE car. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how an educated Human could drive one of these death-traps, I guess they(in their own mind) feel like there saving the planet. I'm sorry if this sounds HARSH, Just the way I feel!!!
I would agree that it makes no sense to buy a Smart with a gas engine because of the fuel consumption. There may be other factors such as parking space available or maybe someone just likes the looks of it.

The diesels we used to be able to get in Canada have MUCH better mileage and the new European MHDs that cut the engine when stopped, say at a light, improve the gassers mileage by about 13% in town for a mileage of about 53mpg.

Some of this may not seem important to those in USA where gas and diesel is still cheap. In Canada, we pay more, but in Europe fuel is much more expensive ($7.50/gal for diesel?)

Regarding safety - "Feelings" don't really count The car has been engineered to be safe. It does have crumple zones and the driver & passenger sit in a reinforced steel cage with multiple airbags that have been engineered and shown to be safe in crash situations. This is not a F1 racer, but these days drivers even walk away from crashes at 200mph in those!

A lot of these cars have been sold, so I guess some like them! We have a 2006 diesel - just for mmy wife to run to the shops or golf course. Makes a lot of sense for us, at least until the next wave of mini-cars arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > smart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in