post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX330, 2007 B200 Turbo (Traded-in), 2010 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Smart or Not??

I'm about to turn 16!! Time for my first car!!! We're thinking whether I should use my mum's B200 Turbo, or get a Smart Car. The B Class has got a few little problems which occur every now and then. That's a little discouraging. However, the Smart's acceleration is slow, and, top speed is 140km/h. Hardly speeding!! Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
Not enough information.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2006 c230 sport, 2006 BMW 330
Why are they buying you a new car? And why are you deciding on a Smart as your first car? What is your budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
My mum just wants me to drive a car that's safe, has good quality, and what she thinks looks good. I actually like the B200 Turbo she has though...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2006 c230 sport, 2006 BMW 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by humsin94 View Post
My mum just wants me to drive a car that's safe, has good quality, and what she thinks looks good. I actually like the B200 Turbo she has though...
Have you seen the crash testing videos for the Smart cars. They get destoryed.

I would shop for a regular saloon or coupe.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
no they didn't. didn't you see the crash into the concrete brick?? the safety cell was so strong. it hardly bent.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you want a car that's "safe," get something bigger. Doesn't have to be brand new.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGlover4life View Post
They get destoryed.
De story ed?

LOL!

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed

2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet

2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by humsin94 View Post
no they didn't. didn't you see the crash into the concrete brick?? the safety cell was so strong. it hardly bent.
I understand what you are saying but understand this from basic grade 10 physics class, the laws of motion:

First law
There exists a set of inertial reference frames relative to which all particles with no net force acting on them will move without change in their velocity. This law is often simplified as "A body persists its state of rest or of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force." Newton's first law is often referred to as the law of inertia.
Second law
Observed from an inertial reference frame, the net force on a particle is equal to the time rate of change of its linear momentum: F = d(mv)/dt. This law is often stated as, "Force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma): the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration."
Third law
Whenever a particle A exerts a force on another particle B, B simultaneously exerts a force on A with the same magnitude in the opposite direction. The strong form of the law further postulates that these two forces act along the same line. This law is often simplified into the sentence, "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

What this all means is basically the largest mass ALWAYS wins. I have a family member who is a paramedic here in BC and he's seen some things that will make your head spin. In an equal mass collision they are very reasonable but place it in one involving a Frieghtliner or even a full size pick up like my dodge and watch out.

Therefore, for me, I would tend to go to the side of caution, esp. if you live in a rural area (aka not a big city), get something a little larger - you can thank me latter.

Wyatt Earp
2008 R320 CDI - Diesel Luxury
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS 5spd, AFE Stage 1, Timing bumped, Sitting on Yoko 225/17 and Eagle Rims with lots of go for cheap
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel LWB, 4x4, SLT, Quad Cab, 6spd, 2" LVL kit, DSS, Stage 5 sticks, AFE stage 2, ATS Manifolds, Smarty Box, Comp Box, Trailer Brakes, Custom lights and switches, FP, Boost and Pyro gauges, Ring MIA, Sitting on 33" Toyo MT's
Save the Planet, Drive an Oil Burner
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't let these people convince you the Smart is unsafe, it's very safe. It has a better safety rating from the U.S. insurance institute and the star ratings from the dept of traffic than the Mercedes E class, yet Princess Di felt safer in her E class.

People have this impression that cars can't be safe unless they are big. So imagine this, 200 mph on a race track, you are driving and you crash, which do you think you'll survive in, a Cadilac Escalade (specially modidied to go 200mph) or a formula one race car that's way smaller, doesn't have big massive bumpers, heck, probably doesn't even have air bags?

Smart Cars are not made by MB, so they don't have the poor reliability. Get the Smart convertible, it's a lot of fun.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > smart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in