Smart CDI fuel consumption - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:31 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To achieve the claimed 83mpg that Mercedes say their Smart Cdi can return you have to adopt a very careful driving style, the kind of driving few drivers will ever adopt.

Tyre pressure has to be spot on, the car has to be in perfect health having been regularly serviced and maintained and the most important effect on fuel consumption is the use of any of the electrics.

Last September i drove from my home in North Wales to Keswick in the lake Distric a journey of 183.3 miles.

I ensured my Cdi was full to the top with quality Shell diesel (not inferior supermarket dishwater) and on my arrival at the Bp service station in Keswick i refilled the tank.

After a lengthy process of around twelve minutes all i could put back into the tank was 9.1Litres of diesel. If i had tried to squeeze anymore into the tank it would have poured onto the garage fourcourt.

During that journey north i had kept to a constant 50-55mph and used no electrics.

The windows remained closed the entire journey, the A/C never gets used anyway so that remained switched off and even the Sat/Nav was removed.

Hypermiling as its known as or beating the claimed manufacturers fuel cosumption figures can be achieved but the kind of driving involved would send most owners to sleep at the wheel.

In normal driving expect around 70+mpg from a well maintained Cdi and to explore those fabled 80 or oeven 90mpg you have to work very hard indeed but it can be done.

Mic Linford achieved almost 100mpg this year on the Esso Eco Challenge so the fact that few owners are getting anywhere near 83mpg does not mean the car cannot achieve that figure because it can and ive done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
If Smart Cdi owners adopted the correct driving style to achieve 80+mpg then we would all see a big increase in our fuel economy.

The Cdi has A/C as standard, i bet 99% of owners use that A/C on a regular basis.
The use of A/C will cripple your fuel economy by as much as 10mpg.

How often does the average driver check their tyre pressure with a known accurate gauge and use a footpump not the often highly inaccurate garage airline.

Incorrect tyre pressure can rob you of another 5-6mpg.

The quality of fuel used can have an impact on fuel consumption aswell.

In the three years ive owned my Cdi ive never used supermarket diesel even though currently its 5p a litre cheaper than the regular Shell garage i use.

I am not a rich person by any means but using the best quality diesel is important for fuel economy.

Last week i even put 3 gallons of £1.48 a litre Shell V power diesel into the car because i know the addatives and way the V power is manufactured make it similar to the old 5star rated octane fuels we had years ago.

I never use the A/C on my car even though i am supposed to use it now and again to regenerate the gasses in the system.

My tyre pressure is checked weekly and is always accurate.

I always use the highest quality fuel no matter what it costs, and because the Smart uses so little of the expensive diesel i put in it then it does not matter that its costing me say an extra £1 or £2 to fill up the car.

The biggest way to save fuel, even bigger than any of the ones ive already mentioned is your speed.

On my regular journey up and down the A55 expressway towards Chester i keep my Smart to that 80-85Kmh or 50-55mph because i know that is the speed for best fuel economy.

Last week i lost count of how many drivers overtook me at 70+ seeing me as a nuisance travelling to them what appeared a very slow speed.

If every owner of a Smart Cdi adopted a totally different driving style to thei current one they are using taking into account NO A/C, correct tyre pressure, using quality fuel and servicing their car regularly then their fuel economy will rocket.

There is no magic secret to achieving stellar fuel economy , you have to work hard at it but the rewards can be significant.

Getting 90mpg from a Smart Cdi can be done but do not expect it to be easy because its not.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
My 2005 smart cdi cabriolet which was recently scrapped due to someone rear-ending it had a lifetime FE of 72 Imperial MPG over 154,000 miles.

This car was riding on 175 front and 195 rear tires, had A/C which was used often. It was very satisfactory.

Go to www.100MPG.ca to see how to get 125 MPG in a smart 450 cdi.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Hi Mike Tee, you know me from CSC
for the rest of this group my life time fuel usage over 154000, of the 178000 (car bought with 24000) is;
4.06 L/100km over all
3.85 L/100km summer
4.25 L/100km winter (with snow tires and cold Ontario winters) and we all know how much diesels hate the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > smart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in