post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key Fob wont turn HELP!

Friends,

I was driving my 1999 E320 4Matic (W210) home yesterday evening and the “Engine Oil Level at Minimum” warning light came on. Within a minute of this the display turned red and it was obvious that the error was now of a critical nature as it was saying that it was “BELOW Acceptable Oil level”. Luckily there was an exit right there with a petrol station. I was able to pull in and check on the issue. Opening the hood, I found what looked like a science project had exploded, except in my case there was engine oil sprayed and splattered every where. While I was unable to ascertain with any level of certainty where the leak was from or what had ruptured, however one thing was evident. The leak had occurred on the front side of the engine with the belt and pulleys assisting in spreading the oil.

I called for a tow truck and drove the car 50 feet over to a safe area of the petrol pump out of way of the other refueling cars.

When the tow truck arrived, I was in for a second shock.

The key fob would not turn in the tumbler!

The battery was at full capacity as could be gauged form the lights and other systems in the car.

Car was in the park gear.

The remote locked and unlocked the car fine.

However the “Panic mode” would not work (this did work fine I am certain of that as I have tested it intermittently.

The red LED on the fob would not flash as it had in the past.

No matter how we tried (rocking the steering wheel etc) the key would not turn in the ignition at all!

When one opened the door, the dash would light up as it should. Inserting the key with the door open would trigger the key alarm “Take Key”. Shutting the door would cause the alarm to go away.

The steering wheel was in a locked position, but luckily the wheels were straight. The tow truck driver was able to slide the car up on to the trucks flat bed and take it to my indy mechanic.

We cleaned the keyfob and the ignition tumblers eye with alcohol as a blog has stated that these do get dirty but with no success.

We changed the battery for the key fob and that did not do anything.

We topped off the engine oil thinking that the low oil sensor tripping had locked out the fob movement and still the key fob would not turn.

I am at a loss and so is my mechanic. I don’t want to tow it to the dealer for fear of damage since the car cannot roll. Without being able to start the car, I am unable to get a diag on the leak. I have only this one key fob. A new key fob is $250! I would pay for a new one if someone would with level of certainty confirm that the Fob is the culprit. Right now I don’t know the complete price tag for repairs and would like to refrain if I can form spending monies on a fob experiment.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you for your time, support and patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '01 E320 4Matic
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurtaza View Post
Friends,

I was driving my 1999 E320 4Matic (W210) home yesterday evening and the “Engine Oil Level at Minimum” warning light came on. Within a minute of this the display turned red and it was obvious that the error was now of a critical nature as it was saying that it was “BELOW Acceptable Oil level”. Luckily there was an exit right there with a petrol station. I was able to pull in and check on the issue. Opening the hood, I found what looked like a science project had exploded, except in my case there was engine oil sprayed and splattered every where. While I was unable to ascertain with any level of certainty where the leak was from or what had ruptured, however one thing was evident. The leak had occurred on the front side of the engine with the belt and pulleys assisting in spreading the oil.

I called for a tow truck and drove the car 50 feet over to a safe area of the petrol pump out of way of the other refueling cars.

When the tow truck arrived, I was in for a second shock.

The key fob would not turn in the tumbler!

The battery was at full capacity as could be gauged form the lights and other systems in the car.

Car was in the park gear.

The remote locked and unlocked the car fine.

However the “Panic mode” would not work (this did work fine I am certain of that as I have tested it intermittently.

The red LED on the fob would not flash as it had in the past.

No matter how we tried (rocking the steering wheel etc) the key would not turn in the ignition at all!

When one opened the door, the dash would light up as it should. Inserting the key with the door open would trigger the key alarm “Take Key”. Shutting the door would cause the alarm to go away.

The steering wheel was in a locked position, but luckily the wheels were straight. The tow truck driver was able to slide the car up on to the trucks flat bed and take it to my indy mechanic.

We cleaned the keyfob and the ignition tumblers eye with alcohol as a blog has stated that these do get dirty but with no success.

We changed the battery for the key fob and that did not do anything.

We topped off the engine oil thinking that the low oil sensor tripping had locked out the fob movement and still the key fob would not turn.

I am at a loss and so is my mechanic. I don’t want to tow it to the dealer for fear of damage since the car cannot roll. Without being able to start the car, I am unable to get a diag on the leak. I have only this one key fob. A new key fob is $250! I would pay for a new one if someone would with level of certainty confirm that the Fob is the culprit. Right now I don’t know the complete price tag for repairs and would like to refrain if I can form spending monies on a fob experiment.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you for your time, support and patience.
Based on what you said and did, this sounds like what happened to me.

It was either the FOB or the ignition module.
I went the cheap root and got the fob.
(I needed a spare if it was the module, anyhow).
Turned out it was the FOB.

I'm sure others will chime as well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
1st off, wrong forum. Scroll down from here, look for the sedans section, then for the W210 area. Post this again there and someone should be able to help you. Good luck.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in