Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Front Plate No Holes Mounting

MY15 SL400
I have been meaning to post this for a while but kept procrastinating. Unfortunately I don't have pics, but it's pretty simple to mount the front plate without holes on the bumper.

OEM comes with a plug which is screwed in the center of the plate bracket. At the back, that plug clips on the front grille. The bracket also has two attachment points at the top - no plugs. Those screw to the front bumper, messing up the bumper.

I purchased two additional plugs (darn things aren't cheap!) which I attached to the two top holes on the plate bracket. I used two long stainless screws (2.5 inches I believe) and a spacer to position the plate bracket away from the bumper body. I used a lawn mower fuel hose for spacer (cut to length). I use the fuel hose for strength and outdoor durability. Use whatever hollow material you can find. Just make sure it can be cut easily because you may have to try several lengths to get get your preferred distance from bumper.

Process:
  1. Play with plugs on back of plate bracket to locate proper attachment to grille
  2. The two SS screws go through the two top holes (may work holes to slight elliptical shape to make things easier). I used SS screws to avoid rusting over time. Used a drill to reshape holes on plate bracket.
  3. At back of mounting plate, insert spacer on screw
  4. Screw assembly to plugs - hand tight
  5. Place assembly (plugs/spacer/plate) on location from Step 1 on front grille - may not locate perpendicular to grille, but that's not an issue
  6. Rework spacer as necessary until desired clearance is achieved - you will have to take everything apart, cut new spacer to length and start all over
  7. Push plugs through grille opening located in Step 1
  8. Torque screws to desired strength - not too tight, just enough to hold bracket solidly in place
  9. Mount front plate

Mine sits solidly with no problems at all. Car is in winter storage. I'll take pics if anyone needs them.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-02-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in