Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Auto Locking and Self Parking Questions

MY15 SL400
  1. I had the car auto lock fine when - security system would come on with doors locking automatically several minutes after motor is off. Then turned that off for fear of locking the keys in the car. Now, I can't have that feature to work anymore. I have done everything I know, including going back to factory setting and resetting. What am I missing. I think its a setting issue.
  2. How do I get this baby to self park? I see P on the dash indicating something is active. I have driven slowly in a parking lot with cars but nothing happens. What am I missing?
Thanks.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: 2015 SL550
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have yet to try out the self park system, but Active Parking Assist, and how to use it, is described starting on page 202 of my car's Operator's Manual.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2017 SL400- Polar White & Bengal Red Interior, with nearly all the fruit!
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann View Post
MY15 SL400
  1. I had the car auto lock fine when - security system would come on with doors locking automatically several minutes after motor is off. Then turned that off for fear of locking the keys in the car. Now, I can't have that feature to work anymore. I have done everything I know, including going back to factory setting and resetting. What am I missing. I think its a setting issue.
  2. How do I get this baby to self park? I see P on the dash indicating something is active. I have driven slowly in a parking lot with cars but nothing happens. What am I missing?
Thanks.
The car auto locks when you drive it. Never heard of it auto locking when you stop and turn the motor off. I don't think this is a feature.

Best to read your manual for the park assist as it varies from car to car. i.e. My wife's 2014 B class works differently to my car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I have yet to try out the self park system, but Active Parking Assist, and how to use it, is described starting on page 202 of my car's Operator's Manual.
I have read through, all the way to Page 206. Basically, at speeds up to ~22 mph, the PARKTRONIC system will search for available parking spots on the passenger side. At 19 mph or below, a P will show up on the dash. If a spot is found, an arrow indicating the parking location will show up on dash. I think what I missed is the part which says the indicator must be on for the system to work. I'll try again.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorywquin View Post
The car auto locks when you drive it. Never heard of it auto locking when you stop and turn the motor off. I don't think this is a feature.

Best to read your manual for the park assist as it varies from car to car. i.e. My wife's 2014 B class works differently to my car!
Rorywquin, that's not what I am asking about. The auto lock feature you mention works fine. I am asking about auto lock when vehicle is parked, not in motion. Basically you turn motor off, exit vehicle and walk away. After an elapsed time, the vehicle locks itself and sets the alarm. Same function the keyfob would do, but done automatically. I can't yet find in the manual where it is mentioned.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 11-11-2018 at 09:19 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: 2015 SL550
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I have read through, all the way to Page 206. Basically, at speeds up to ~22 mph, the PARKTRONIC system will search for available parking spots on the passenger side. At 19 mph or below, a P will show up on the dash. If a spot is found, an arrow indicating the parking location will show up on dash. I think what I missed is the part which says the indicator must be on for the system to work. I'll try again.
Page 204 starts describing how to actually use it.

"Backing up into the parking space
X Stop the vehicle when the parking space symbol shows the desired parking space in the instrument cluster.
X Shift the transmission to position R.
The Start Park Assist? Yes: OK No: (symbol) message appears in the multifunction display.

and so on...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Page 204 starts describing how to actually use it.

"Backing up into the parking space
X Stop the vehicle when the parking space symbol shows the desired parking space in the instrument cluster.
X Shift the transmission to position R.
The Start Park Assist? Yes: OK No: (symbol) message appears in the multifunction display.

and so on...
That's correct. But the turn signal has to be on for it to work - I think that's the part I ignored. I'm going to try it in a few minutes.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2017 SL400- Polar White & Bengal Red Interior, with nearly all the fruit!
Quote:
Rorywquin, that's not what I am asking about. The auto lock feature you mention works fine. I am asking about auto lock when vehicle is parked, not in motion. Basically you turn motor off, exit vehicle and walk away. After an elapsed time, the vehicle locks itself and sets the alarm. Same function the keyfob would do, but done automatically. I can't yet find in the manual where it is mentioned.

That is what I was talking about - if it is not in the manual, it probably does not exist -- I have never come across this in several MBs and other cars.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorywquin View Post

Was able to get the car to self park today. Turns out that the arrow mentioned in the manual does not stay on dash for long and is very easy to miss. But it works for parallel parking. Don't think it works for perpendicular parking though.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:

Was able to get the car to self park today. Turns out that the arrow mentioned in the manual does not stay on dash for long and is very easy to miss. But it works for parallel parking. Don't think it works for perpendicular parking though.
Depend's on the model etc. Wife's 2014 B will park perpendicular and so will mine. If you are going slow enough to be looking for parking, the arrow will be on long enough for you to know the parking is big enough because you will be keeping your eye on it. Mine automatically finds parking on the passenger side but the indicator must be on to detect on the drivers side. Watch out for high kerbs and other obstacles that the car may not identify.

Re auto locking.....

If you remotely unlock it and do not open anything, it will lock itself again (probably designed for an accidental push of "unlock").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in