post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2013 SL550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rick is driving a R231 SL in new Magnum PI series

Magnum, new and old, features a Ferrari - several in the new series - judging from the previews. However in the preview for the new Magnum PI series I caught a glimpse of something familiar and not a Ferrari at all. There is just enough of glimpse of side, interior, and tonneau area to see that Rick is driving an SL. Again. Rather than a grey R107 it looks to be a black on black R231! The bright windblocker frame hints it is a 2013 - 2016 era car. Looking at a longer preview at
at 3:00 minutes in it can be seen to be a pre-facelift R231 by the hood. The interior appears to be black with aluminum trim. The brief glimpse isn't enough to tell the type though. If you catch it just right there is a twin blur of grill that may be the AMG bar and a bit of silver in the side vent. But that could just be illusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RicksR231.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2449739  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Saw the latest preview for the show. The side of the car could be seen in it showing the black multi-spoke wheels and chrome badge in side vents as well as a badge on the right side of trunk. These would seem to confirm that Rick's SL in the new Magnum is indeed an AMG but the details aren't clear enough to me to discern whether SL63 or SL65.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It is a SL 550.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So the moment we've all been waiting for. ;-) The new Magnum premiered last night and here is where I get to say "I told you so."
Rick's car is indeed an AMG version of the R231 - specifically a SL63 - and not a standard SL550. (Oh well, so much for lifting the cred of my lowly 550.)

The exterior clearly shows the grille, wheels, spoiler, and trim of the AMG - though the badges are never clear enough to discern whether a SL63 or SL65.
However even the brief views of the interior (paused on the DVR) are enough to ID it as having the upholstery of the SL63 and not the SL65. Besides the SL65 being out of character for Rick. (Although he was piloting a Sunseeker where a SL65 would be a mere shore tender :-) though likely not his boat.)

Even though it wasn't a race and Rick was simply driving calmly the laughable moment came when Magnum tears by the SL63 in the Ferrari 308 GTS. (Admittedly the 308 looked nice doing so).

Well, whatever you think of TV and the the new series (I admit I liked it better than I expected to) I think it is cool to have a SL featured, even it isn't THE hero car, in a big TV series. Shades of the '80s!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:33 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2018
Vehicle: 2013 SLK55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe you guys need to take a second look and pay more attention to the size of the car. It looks to me like an SLK55 AMG. I have a near identical one sitting in my garage...........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2018
Vehicle: 2013 SLK55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On second glance, I think I'm wrong. No roll bars in the shot by the Helicopter.........Speaking of, did anyone notice how the car disappears? Rick parks next to the chopper, then in the next shot of the chopper lifting off, the car is gone.........Nice new anti-theft option from Mercedes? Cloaking device? I think not, just a simple woopsie!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurehunter1 View Post
On second glance, I think I'm wrong. No roll bars in the shot by the Helicopter.........Speaking of, did anyone notice how the car disappears? Rick parks next to the chopper, then in the next shot of the chopper lifting off, the car is gone.........Nice new anti-theft option from Mercedes? Cloaking device? I think not, just a simple woopsie!
Thank you for the quick reply because I was going to note that exact fact - the lack of the roll bars. Rick's seat is pushed all the way back and reclined which hides the space behind the seats which, as small as it is in an R231, is more than in the SLK/SLC - which is none.

But yeah - Mercedes does like to insure a family similarity among their cars so the smaller cars mimic the more costly cars and be hard to tell apart. They are hardly alone at doing that.

You are right about the helicopter shot. I hadn't noticed before. A continuity thing for sure. I am sure there were several reasons to take the car out of the shot, or they were shot at different times - once with cars and actors and and another time with the pilot/doubles. But it was something I actually missed. Good catch!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, it seems that Rick's black SL63 is either taking a breather while he makes use another car from his stable or he has downgraded https://www.benzworld.org/forums/ima..._face_wink.png to a 911 cabriolet permanently. I've not seen the SL, only the 911 in recent episodes of the show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in