Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Following from other responses, you can find the wheel offset in your owner's manual (beginning Page 596 of my 2015 owner manual) - match your tire size with the information in the manual.

Regarding the donut, don't forget to consider the effect of the overall diameter (OD) on how the vehicle will respond to the donut. The OD for SL65 is 26 inches Front (F) and Rear (R). My SL400 has 25.1 in (F) and 25.9 in (R). Your 550 is probably the same as my 400 if you ride on the 5-star AMG optioned package, otherwise you'd have to do the math for your setup. I don't know that these small differences in OD will trick the traction control system - just something to consider.

Why even bother with the donut. I used to have a phobia regarding run-flats but after driving on them for several years now (BMW and Benz), I really don't see the need for a donut spare if you use run-flats all around. Additionally, with the stiffer side walls, run-flats tend to not flat-spot during storage as regular tires would.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-02-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Offset Info From OM

I took a pic of the 19 inch setup. Owner manual has it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815[1].jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	2486146  

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 AM
OKB
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 13 SL63
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
If MB designed a spare to fit on specific cars, dont you think they designed it to WORK. Do you think they forgot to make it the right size, diameter. And do you think a 1/4 in makes any difference to any car? Even tire wear and low pressure will cause more dia change, people live and drive cars like that their whole life.
A run flat is good as long as it is capable of rolling. But a spare is for use when ; the wheel is bent, broke, tire is split, shredded, cut open beating the fender, gone. Theres all kinds of situations that having a spare will save your life. (thats why they call it a life saver)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKB View Post
If MB designed a spare to fit on specific cars, dont you think they designed it to WORK. Do you think they forgot to make it the right size, diameter. And do you think a 1/4 in makes any difference to any car? Even tire wear and low pressure will cause more dia change, people live and drive cars like that their whole life.
A run flat is good as long as it is capable of rolling. But a spare is for use when ; the wheel is bent, broke, tire is split, shredded, cut open beating the fender, gone. Theres all kinds of situations that having a spare will save your life. (thats why they call it a life saver)
I don't understand why you are having a quarrel with me. I never said that 1/4 inch will break the vehicle. I specifically mentioned that I do not know that this will cause any issues. You say it will fit, and it probably will, but you do not show any documented proof that it will fit. Here's what you posted after you said it'll fit AMG w/red calipers and the OP says he has no red calipers:

"this one will fit on all the 231 , I think they all use the same offset anyway , but its got enough offset to use IF you have red brakes and its a amg product . Your callipers are probably just as big as red but its just a over compensation offset
By the way, what is your wheel offse"t

As you can see from the one picture, they all don't have the same offset. The OP already says no red calipers - but you push on. Maybe an equivalent P/N for the OP's specific vehicle general setup will help. Maybe proof that your AMG P/N is compatible with the OP's SL will help, instead of admonishing me on applicability of MB designed hardware. So, since there's so much lack of specifics from you, all I am doing is provide the OP some additional facts regarding wheel fitment so they can perform a somewhat more informed research. If you read the responses again, at one point the OP is not familiar with the wheel offset thing. Installing wheels on a vehicle without a good idea about the offset is not advisable - especially when you are not providing factual data. I am just providing the OP some of that info. Also, I don't call spare tires life saver hardware. They are spares. If they happen to save some lives, good. I once had to put out an engine fire using a bottle of windshield washer I had in the trunk. It saved my life and vehicle. Lifesaver fluid?

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM
OKB
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 13 SL63
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
What I am saying is this is the only amg spare MB sells for all amg cars. Period. Its the only one. For the 230, older amg cars they had a older version spare which fit all amg cars but with SL65 or Cl65 with 2pc brakes they had to add a big spacer.like 50mm. to clear the fronts.
This new version fits all amg cars because they have the same brakes, on all cars except GT and they call for a spacer on GT cars
Only 2 amg spares made since 2003
The amg cars have the red brakes, call them biggest brakes. So if you have a car with smaller brakes, this is going to be plenty big to fit. I also use it on S550 which has smaller brakes.
The offset is insignificant because its the design of the clearance of the spokes of the wheels that determines if it is going to clear the brakes. its not just offset that determines if it will fit
For scientific determination of my facts, I have personally put these wheels on multiple cars and have found these spares in various cars as provided by MB and have enquired by part # to dealers to find out what their application is. In other words, no other facts to provide beside that I am self educated
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2015 S550 Sedan, 2016 E350 Sedan, 2019 SL450 on order
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here considered the fact that there is virtually NO PLACE to put your FLAT, full size wheel & tire IN the car, once you remove it and put on the spare? You MIGHT get it into the passenger seat area, but what if you are driving with a companion? I guess you could carry a chain & padlock, to secure it to a tree or some such thing, so it is hopefully still there when you come back to pick it up. My SL is for local, pleasure driving only. I never take it far. If it should get a flat (I run conventional tires), I’ll call a flat bed.��
Darkmann likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in