2013 R231 Batteries - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2013 SL550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I bought the M-B branded charger at the dealer last year. I didn't want any excuses as the car was still under CPO warranty should something go wrong with an off brand charger. I was surprised how little help and knowledge there was at the dealership for a 2013 car in regards to battery and charging location. The charger came with clamps and 12V plug. Using that plug in the trunk 12V socket would have been convenient (and more evident that it was plugged in when opening the garage door) but the charger instructions only mention being able to use that on an SUV and SLR. Not quite an SLR. :-) And the owners manual said only use the jump points under the hood for charging. So that is what I did.

In terms of "quick disconnect" I use the supplied end with the clamps and run the negative clamp wire over the egine compartment seal (since it is on the other side of the seal from the positive connection) and then negative and postive paired wire through a space in the seal near the wipers so it the other end with the connector comes out at the base of the windshield under the rear edge of the hood. That way I can disconnect it there and tuck the end of the wire down out of the way of the wipers or anything. The supplied ends are not long enough to go much further - like to the front of the car - with this charger.

The only thing I have to be careful of is to remember when it is plugged in. As it is on the left side (passenger side for me) and not obvious when I go into the garage to get the car and would be easy to miss. I should rig something to remind me that is plugged in so I don't accidently back it out of the garage ripping things apart as I go.

I put the car on the charger because I don't have appropriate tires for New England winter. (Cost) And the owner's mannual warned about driving with the 19" summer run flats at any temperature under 45F for loss of traction or even cracked tires! So I didn't take it out for long stretches of time even when there was no snow on the roads - hence the charger. Now I need new tires anyway. :-(

One thing does worry me a little is that with the M-B charger it goes through the stages after connecting where it shows a flat, mid, high, and fully charged indicators. Even after driving the car for period when you would expect that it would fully charge the batteries when I hook up the charger it seems to spend a lot of time on the mid level and high level before showing fully charged and being maintained. I don't know the age of the batteries or if this is normal or if I should have the batteries tested during the next service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2002 CL600, 1998 SL500, 1999 Porsche 911, 2005 AUDI A8, 2006 Bentley GT, 2013 SL550
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Marie, thanks for sharing your experience
MarieOnCape likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2013 SL550
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can't tell my right from my left

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieOnCape View Post
As it is on the left side (passenger side for me)
This car is in the USA so the charging port and battery charger are connected on the RIGHT side of the car - passenger side for me when looking forward. That is why it is hard to spot when getting in on the left (driver's side in the US).

Sorry for the confusion. It seems it is too late to edit my original post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM
OKB
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 13 SL63
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
the small memory battery is behind the pass seat in the rear hump. It is bolted in and buried excessively
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: october 2015, SL 400
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorywquin View Post
Not sure you have it correct. Screen shot from the QR code on my car showing location of batteries for rescue services etc... One in the boot (trunk) one behind the right seat!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FyvsMH]
This is the real situation.
Connect Cteck charger to indicated points under the hood, right side of the engine and it will charge both batteries.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicStar View Post
Connect Cteck charger to indicated points under the hood, right side of the engine and it will charge both batteries.
This is the right location.
The Cteck charger can be installed in he front hood on the right side. One point is red and has to be pushed down to discover the positive + (red) pole, few inches away you find the negative - (black) pole. Connect correctly the charger and the connect it to electricity.
It will charge both battries.
This is the way I do it and it works greatly.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicStar View Post
You are right.
Thanks from Italy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in