post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 2013 SL63 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Wheel Adjustment

All of a sudden, the Up/Down function of my steering wheel does not work. IN/OUT works fine. Tried disabling/enabling the easy exit function with no luck. Anyone experience this and is there a reset that can be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM
OKB
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 13 SL63
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I think its in the settings, but you will have to let MB check it since you cant get it to work
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2017
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, you should let MB investigate it further, there may be many reasons to be honest. I know a guy who got himself a deal on [commercial plug deleted] was having similar problems, but they were solved pretty fast by them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2013 sl550
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I got my 2013 SL550 home I had to go to the local dealer to get a few parts. My wheel did the same thing as yours. I went to the service department to see how much to repair it. The guy came out to my car, got in, moved the wheel way back, used his left leg to put upward pressure on it and slapped the rim hard with his right hand - It has worked fine ever since. He says users climb out of the car using the rim for assist and lock it up. What really surprised me - NO CHARGE! They have a new customer when I need them because of the way I was treated.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I hardly drive my SL, but recently realized the easy in/out (up/down) function was not working. My service guy checked to see if it was covered under the CPO plan, which it was. However, my curiosity got the best of me. With a little research, I found that the pictured component (worm gear) is what operates the up/down function. I knew the motor was working because I could hear it clicking. I pulled all the happy horse shit out of the way, beginning with the lower dash, black cover (pain in the ass), two screws, all the components attached to it just unclip, OBD plug, & wire harness. Rear cup holder fascia, left side console trim, left side wood trim on dash, the fuse box cover, left side, there is a screw up in there. A few screws drops the knee air bag. No need to unplug the air bag, it will lay there. A this point you'll be looking right at the worm gear. A few allen heads and the worm gear pulls out from the electric motor. The electric motor has an opening that the drive end of the assembly goes into. Very simple, you'll see. I expected to find something broken, but found that the black block that is driven by the worm drive was actually just seated tight against the stop (black arrow in pic). The electric motor does not have enough torque to unseat it. As RussBarnes said, it maybe possible to use leg pressure and maybe hit the steering wheel to jar it loose. To reverse the torque to move that black block off its seat, would really take a lot. Incidentally, when the worm gear is removed, the steering wheel will move up and down by hand. Looking at the two pics, I think you'll get the idea in regards to trying to reverse the torque. I just white lubed everything, put it all back together, all is fine. The picture of the whole assembly is off of Ebay, I did not remove the whole thing, just the worm drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 SL550 STEERING COLUMN.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2314641   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 SL 550 STEERING UP-DOWN WORM GEAR.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	2314649  
mrpowers likes this.

1971 350SL 4-speed stick- sold
1979 300CD- sold
1979 450SL (Euro)- sold
1985 300D- sold
1989 560SL- sold
1994 E320 wagon- sold
1995 SL500- 46,000 mi.- sold
2004 Land Rover Discovery- sold
2009 SL550- Silver Arrow- 26,275 miles- sold
2013 SL550-

Last edited by Thorgod; 11-19-2017 at 07:18 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2002 CL600, 1998 SL500, 1999 Porsche 911, 2005 AUDI A8, 2006 Bentley GT, 2013 SL550
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Had the same problem plus seat would not go up and down. Moved seat all the way forward and all the way back and problems solved with that reset. Worth a try rather than a trip to dealer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1974 450SL, 2008 C350, 2013 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBarnes View Post
When I got my 2013 SL550 home I had to go to the local dealer to get a few parts. My wheel did the same thing as yours. I went to the service department to see how much to repair it. The guy came out to my car, got in, moved the wheel way back, used his left leg to put upward pressure on it and slapped the rim hard with his right hand - It has worked fine ever since. He says users climb out of the car using the rim for assist and lock it up. What really surprised me - NO CHARGE! They have a new customer when I need them because of the way I was treated.
When you say all the way back, is that all the way in or all the way out? What is back?

Thanks

I have the same issue, and I want to try this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1974 450SL, 2008 C350, 2013 SL550
Well gosh darn, moving the steering wheel all the way in and hitting it hard with your right hand fixed the up and down issue. Amazing! Thanks RussBarnes!
Timepilot likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1995 s500, 1974 450sl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpowers View Post
Well gosh darn, moving the steering wheel all the way in and hitting it hard with your right hand fixed the up and down issue. Amazing! Thanks RussBarnes!
This is exactly what I had to do to mine 2 years ago. Been fine ever since

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2002 CL600, 1998 SL500, 1999 Porsche 911, 2005 AUDI A8, 2006 Bentley GT, 2013 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timepilot View Post
This is exactly what I had to do to mine 2 years ago. Been fine ever since

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Conflicting stories about all the way back or all the way in. I can just try it both ways. Not clear about where to hit it hard -- where on steering wheel -- top or bottom -- hit it up, down or straight in. Thanks for any clarification. I want to try this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in