SL8
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool 2013 SL63 vs. 2017 SL450

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new car but I can't decide between a pre-owned 2013 SL63 AMG or a brand new 2017 SL450 (both of which are fully-loaded). The particular 2013 SL63 that I have my eyes on has 15,000km but is accident free and in great condition. The two particular cars are roughly identical in price. I would love to have the increased power of the AMG but would also love to have a brand new Mercedes Benz uniquely tailored to my preferences and with 0km. Appearance wise, I enjoy the AMG styling of the 2013 SL63 but I also like the new face lift of the 2017 model. I am extremely torn between the two.

Which car do you think would yield the best value (considering I would keep the car for a long time)? Are there any other factors that I should consider besides the engine difference and physical appearance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 PM
OKB
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 13 SL63
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have had several SLs all AMGs. i have a 13 sl63. Everything on a amg car is different from a normal car. Its all performance oriented. My first observation is you say fully loaded. Do you have full knowledge of every option available for both cars. I am willing to bet neither car has every option. Options are big money when you buy a car, you can add $40k. You dont have to pay for them when you buy the car used, they are almost free. Second, there is alot more equipment & options available on a amg car than the regular version. You get alot more of everything on a amg than you could buy on a regular car.
If you buy the car cpo from a dealer, and buy the cop extension after you own it, I think you could get about 3 total yrs warrantee.
I wouldnt buy any sl thats not from a dealer and not cpo
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I would go with the SL63.....

Make sure you could buy the longest warranty that they offer, since you be keeping it for a long term.......

Good luck with your purchase....

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

My favorite topic,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
I was in a similar position last year. Before you commit to SL, go test drive an F-type Jaguar.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2015 S550 Sedan, 2016 E350 Sedan, 2019 SL450 on order
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To me, this would be a very simple decision: Get the new SL450. What in the frigging world will you do with the 63? If you are like probably 99.8% of SL63 owners, you will NOT take it to the track. So, where does that leave you with your ridiculously overpowered toy? Well, I guess you can stomp on it on long freeway on-ramps, but other than that, if you use all that torque & horsepower on the street, you will probably just get in trouble, TRYING to blow the doors off of a new Corvette--and probably getting beat!

In addition, with a 2013 vs. a 2017, the factory warranty should be VERY important to you, depending on how long you plan on keeping the car. For me, it would be the magnificent SL450, all day long over the boy racer 63. You want to go fast, get an AMG GT--or a Porsche! The SL, was built to be a luxury cruiser, not a race car.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: Still Looking
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinSL View Post
I was in a similar position last year. Before you commit to SL, go test drive an F-type Jaguar.
I sat in an F-type R at the Chicago auto show last year. At 6'2", I didn't fit (leg room). I sure hope the 231 is better in that regard. Besides, the Jag V6 is really a wacky deal...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2017 SL400- Polar White & Bengal Red Interior, with nearly all the fruit!
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
I sat in an F-type R at the Chicago auto show last year. At 6'2", I didn't fit (leg room). I sure hope the 231 is better in that regard. Besides, the Jag V6 is really a wacky deal...
I'm 6'2" and easily fit the 2017 SL......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 2017 SL400- Polar White & Bengal Red Interior, with nearly all the fruit!
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
Ugly interior IMO - I looked at one and the interior put me off even before I drove it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorywquin View Post
That's very good to hear. Somewhere in the last 10 or 15 years I've really lost my patience with cramped interiors.

Quote:
Ugly interior IMO - I looked at one and the interior put me off even before I drove it
I couldn't believe that R that I sat in. It had fairly elaborate seats, but when I moved the driver's seat all the way back, I still didn't have enough leg room...by at least three inches. Then I found out how goofy their V6 is, and dropped the whole idea.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
That's very good to hear. Somewhere in the last 10 or 15 years I lost my patience with cramped interiors.

Quote:
And rather bland coloring inside, too. I couldn't believe that R that I sat in. It had fairly elaborate seats, but when I moved the driver's seat all the way back, I still didn't have enough leg room...by at least three inches. Then I found out how goofy their V6 is, and dropped the whole idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R231 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in