SRS Light - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150, 2003 SL500, 2003 Honda S2000, 2013 Mini Clubman, 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SRS Light

Hello All! I have the SRS light on in the dash. The code is 1863-004 (resistance is too high). The following TSB describes how to fix the problem.

Seat Belt Tensioner: All Technical Service Bulletins
SRS - Warning Lamp ON/DTC B1863/B1864 Set

What do you do if the procedure has been performed by a previous owner, and the connections redone by me and the light is still on. One of my scanners (Autel) can turn the light off but it almost immediately comes back on. The iCarsoft scanner claims it cannot communicate with the ECU ... but it can give me the code ...

What is the next step?

As always, any tips, tricks, advice or even replies are welcome!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I recently had the SRS light on as well. My problem was a bad gas pedal. I was only able to properly diagnose it with the Star Diagnostics System scanner (SDS). Do you have access to SDS? If not, you may want to purchase one. It is very specific to MB.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2017
Vehicle: r230 SL500
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I on several occasions have had this malfunction show up and each time I simply went under each front seat, disconnected the yellow wire connector (very cramped conditions toward the door side under the seat), spray contact cleaner on each side of the connectors, and reconnect them. I then use my CarSoft i980 to reset the malfunction notice. Each time it seems to work well. Seems that dirt from the floor mats and carpets get into the connectors and interrupt the signal. Your problem may be something more serious, but this simple housecleaning chore seems to work for me. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150, 2003 SL500, 2003 Honda S2000, 2013 Mini Clubman, 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln MKZ
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
I recently had the SRS light on as well. My problem was a bad gas pedal.
I'm super curious as to how the gas pedal is connected to the SRS system. Did you have the B1863-004 error? I don't think this is my problem but still I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmingo7 View Post
I on several occasions have had this malfunction show up and each time I simply went under each front seat, disconnected the yellow wire connector (very cramped conditions toward the door side under the seat), spray contact cleaner on each side of the connectors, and reconnect them. I then use my CarSoft i980 to reset the malfunction notice. Each time it seems to work well. Seems that dirt from the floor mats and carpets get into the connectors and interrupt the signal. Your problem may be something more serious, but this simple housecleaning chore seems to work for me. Good luck.
Yes, I've done this as well with no luck.

Remember ... This is a car that was involved in a front end crash. Not serious as the air bags did not deploy (see attached).

What would happen if I bypassed the plug completely? should I try installing another repair kit? Should I replace the SRS component attached to the seat belt?

I don't have access to SDS other than going to the stealership. There has got to be a way to diagnose and correct this problem without SDS.

As always, any tips, tricks, advice or even replies are appreciated!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash pic.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2533226  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

FWIW you could start throwing parts (and time) at it and quickly be at the cost of a needed tool (SDS). Or buy the tool and have it for the next failure. In the end you will be thousands of dollars ahead of the game with the correct scanner. The SDS is only around $400-$500 or so. Maybe even less if you look around.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
FWIW you could start throwing parts (and time) at it and quickly be at the cost of a needed tool (SDS). Or buy the tool and have it for the next failure. In the end you will be thousands of dollars ahead of the game with the correct scanner. The SDS is only around $400-$500 or so. Maybe even less if you look around.
Yeah ... I understand that. The problem is I've heard too many horror stories about getting crap SDS from eBay or Aliexpress. Just kinda leery about the whole thing. I also tried to purchase one via a link that Bobterry99 provided. I tried everything I could think of the purchase it but it kept saying ... please enter required information ... I filled out every space I could find and no luck. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

UPDATE: I just bit the bullet and got a SDS on the way ...
Thanks for replying!

Chris
Triple cranks likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
I recently had the SRS light on as well. My problem was a bad gas pedal. I was only able to properly diagnose it with the Star Diagnostics System scanner (SDS). Do you have access to SDS? If not, you may want to purchase one. It is very specific to MB.
My mistake. Must have had a brain hiccup. Mine was the ESP light, not SRS.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismyers View Post
...and the connections redone by me and the light is still on.
Did you install the connector kit from Mercedes identified in the service bulletin?

When my passenger seat had this problem I substituted electrical connectors from Radio Shack. This was an improvement, but I still had to clear the SRS light every few months. Eventually I installed the repair kit from Mercedes, and the issue disappeared for good.

You could bypass the connectors by soldering the wires together, but you would have to un-solder the wires if ever you were going to remove the seat from the car.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
Did you install the connector kit from Mercedes identified in the service bulletin?
I have not done this yet as one of the previous owners has already done it. I'm wondering if replacing the plug again will solve the problem? I'm going to by-pass the plug and do a test today while I'm waiting for the new repair kit to arrive. I'll let y'all know the results

Chris
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well ... I cut the connector switch out and connected the wires directly (with plugs). Pulled out the scanner, read the code and it still is B1863-004. I then hit erase codes, the SRS light goes out and after 1 second, it comes back on. This is leading me to believe this plug/connector is not the problem. I'm thinking it has to do with the sensor that is connected to the seat belt where the yellow connector plugs in. Any thoughts?

My SDS will be here Wednesday, so maybe that can give me more input.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in