Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2009 SL65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
SmartTOP

Well, I love it that I received my order. These guys don't mess around with shipping. It was here a few days after ordering it.

I didn't expect having to do wiring though as I thought by the pictures it was just a plug in module. I'll have to contact my electrical buddy now as I hate wiring!

SmartTOP-20190709_183449_1562718830382.jpgSmartTOP-20190709_183724_1562718866527.jpg

2009 SL65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It's not that hard, but if you aren't comfortable doing it, by all means, phone a friend!

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks.

I see now that they are mostly inline t-connectors which aren't that bad.
I just know that I usually don't have the patience and want to just hook things up so I can see it working without thinking through the aesthetics. This car is too much money to do a hack job on. When I watch the wiring guys do things they always know where to tuck things away nicely and make it look factory installed....as if they've done it many times before!

2009 SL65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2005 sl500
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
what is that supposed to do? smart top?

[QUOTE=GoFastr;17836218]Well, I love it that I received my order. These guys don't mess around with shipping. It was here a few days after ordering it.

I didn't expect having to do wiring though as I thought by the pictures it was just a plug in module. I'll have to contact my electrical buddy now as I hate wiring!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The SmartTOP convertible top control for Mercedes-Benz SL (R231) Roadster makes it possible to open and close the convertibles top while driving at speeds of up to 60 km/h. For this function, thanks to the One-Touch feature, only a short tap on the interior button is needed. In addition, the convertible top can be operated remotely via the existing vehicle keyfob.

“We see our SmartTOP Cabriolet modules as comfort controls,” says PR spokesman Sven Tornow. “With our sophisticated functions, we want to make the usability as easy as possible. We also like to respond to customer requests,” Sven Tornow explains. Therefore, numerous additional functions have now been added to the SmartTOP top control.

It is possible to reverse the operating direction of the tops control button. The side mirrors can be folded open or closed via remote control. The Comfort Wipers function ensures that when using the spray nozzles, after a 10-second pause, the wipers automatically wipe again.

The trunk can be opened and even closed via the remote control. The seat memory keys can be operated with One-Touch. With the entry and exit assist, pre-programmed seat positions are automatically operated when entering and exiting the vehicle.

The ECO Disable function allows automatic deactivation of the ECO mode when starting the engine, which otherwise usually reactivates each time the vehicle starts up. Furthermore, it is possible to lock the vehicle while the engine is running. This makes it possible to leave the vehicle and continue to air-condition it.

Existing customers can also benefit from these new features. SmartTOP Cabriolet modules are equipped with a USB port, making it possible to upload software updates via PC / Mac. The manufacturer, Mods4cars, provides these updates free of charge to all customers via the Internet.

I purchased the product for my 2009 R230 so I am not sure how many of these bonus features will work for my car.

2009 SL65
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I love mine. But it only works with the fob. It won't work while moving and even when sitting in the running car, I still have to hold the console button for the entire cycle.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
I love mine. But it only works with the fob. It won't work while moving and even when sitting in the running car, I still have to hold the console button for the entire cycle.
First of all, try updating the firmware. You'll need a USB cable and a PC to do that. Instructions are on their website (mods4cars.com). If that doesn't do it, put in a support request with them - I've have very good responses when dealing with them.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all. I am going to do this install this weekend. I will get my son to come help me with the fine print in the instructions and I also found several you tube installation videos although I have to sift through the ones specific to my year and model SL. The one thing I wish was a bit more clear is the feature set for my specific year and model. 2009 SL65 AMG. It seems that in some of the instruction manuals and you tube videos that there are some bonus features which only work in specific models....ie. like windows, mirrors, seats, lights and locking chirps.

2009 SL65
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hey all....managed to get this install done over the weekend. It wasn't a record breaking 20 minute install for me but with the help of my more flexible son we managed to get it installed in just over an hour including re-routing the wires into the tapped in ones around the right side of all the relays and came back up from under the larger wire sets for a near invisible install.

Most time was spent in this area of the instructions...

"Now the objective is to find the correct CAN plug by connecting the
module in between the plugs. Pull a plug, replace it with the
one from the module (3) and mate the other plug from the
module (4) with the original plug. Then tap unlock on the
remote and watch the green LED on the module. A bright,
steady blinking pattern signals a correct installation. You may
need to try all connectors one after another and repeat the
procedure as the correct one is NOT always in the same
(pictured) position!"

The wires on the connector plug was very short and didn't allow for much movement on mine so you had to work down in this hole. Also the plugs were really hard to come apart and had to be wedged off with a small screwdriver each time. It probably would have been easier if I had hung a trapeze in the garage ceiling as my 220+ lb 6'-3'' son was trying not to sit on the console or the rear shelf for fear of breaking them whilst doing this and he reminded me of a folded up pocket knife trying to tuck his legs into the small space behind the passenger seat.

All in all eventually we found the correct objective at last and Murphy's law shined again because it was the 2nd to last plug we tried!

All is good as it works very well and performs all the features the sales pitch said.

I think I will enjoy these features a lot! Thanks for the confidence team!
rudeney and Triple cranks like this.

2009 SL65
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Yeah, probing those CAN bus wires until you find the right one is a pain. And it always seems to be the last one on the block from where you started! Honestly, the next SL I do I am just going to remove the passenger seat and maker it easier on my back.
Triple cranks and GoFastr like this.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in