Looking at a sl55 but the engine cover has a cutout above SuperCharger...what for? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking at a sl55 but the engine cover has a cutout above SuperCharger...what for?

I am in the process of trying to purchase a vehicle. Going from an 07 clk550 to an SL55. My 1st AMG super excited. It is a high milage one, but I feel I am getting a decent car for the $$ and it is my dream car from when I was a kid (well not the 07 but the SL part)

This one has a cutout and looked like something was bolted onto the engine cover where the MB logo goes above the SuperCharger.

What would that have been for?

Not sure how to post a screen shot of it or I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
That is where the MB emblem used to be. They commonly fall off, but are hard to replace.

If you are good with DIY, then a high mile R230 is a bargain buy.
If not, it can be very costly, and not recommended, unless you have a big wallet and good mechanic nearby.
sl600kid likes this.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have a 2007 CLK550 currently. I know all too well about the maintenance and fun. I love the CLK, but it was supposed to be an 05 SL550 when I purchased it several years ago.

Pretty much a "proof of concept" of what I was looking for. As a high schooler my car was a 79 Fiat Spider. Had to sell when I needed a house. Fast forward to now. I was going to spend my $$ on a fairly new Miata, but the wife said you love your CLK why not get another.....well that made me think.

Yup getting my 07 SL55 next week. I have a great shop I take it to. The only problem is my master mechanic is about 70, and can't train the next guy fast enough. He is excited for me to bring the SL55 to his shop.

How much $$$ do you spend on rides at Disney World? I get to do that every day on my way to work
sl600kid likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:33 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2003 SL500, 2012 E350 4Matic P2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Before you finally plunk down your hard earned $'s do some "due diligence" on ABC and SBC systems on these R230's. I have a now higher mileage 132K '03 SL500 and have had relatively little problems in my almost 4 years of ownership. The former owner had the SBC pump replaced at about 100K, (that was before the 25 year extended warranty was implemented) and also RF strut. I did rebuild the front ABC valve block with new 0-rings due to uneven sagging over time and that is the extent of ABC problems. I did an ABC fluid flush when I purchased the car at 104K miles and so far, no other ABC problems to speak of.

I have an SDS laptop setup and do all my own maintenance so none of my cars have been to a dealership "yet". Mechanical work is mechanical work so maintaining your SL55 should be pretty straight forward as long as you have a decent set of metric tools. Relying on an Indy for all your work could get expensive but it is relative to your initial investment. So if you are getting a great price deal then bringing the car up to date on maintenance might not be so bad on your overall investment. Motor and transmission are pretty much bullet proof with just regular fluid changes.

All in all, these are great cars and really set you apart from the pack when you are behind the wheel. I can go out on a drive and may not even see another R230 all day!

Anyway,

Good luck,

Bob

Sold:
2001 W220 S430
1991 BMW E32 750IL V12
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
No worries now on SBC - it's covered by 25-year, unlimited mileage, unlimited owners warranty. ABC, of course, is the real concern. If you are capable of DIYing it, you will very happy. if not, you will be very poor.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in