Auxiliary battery getting hot and venting!? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Auxiliary battery getting hot and venting!?

I have an issue with the auxiliary battery (in the trunk) getting hot after a long drive (2hrs plus).
I have had it tested and it seems to be functioning fine with no issues. After a long drive it starts to smell and if I stop and look under the car I can see vapour coming from the vent tube from the battery and when I touch the battery it is hot !

- The terminals look fine and I have checked they are secure.
--The charging also has been checked and is the voltage regulator appears normal?
- Should I change the battery, is it on the way out? Is it something else?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxillary battery.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	2523390  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2005 E320(RIP) 2004 SL500
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
when a battery gets really hot and starts venting, that is usually a sign that it is getting overcharged. I would have your charging system checked and make sure the regulator is working properly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjroy View Post
when a battery gets really hot and starts venting, that is usually a sign that it is getting overcharged. I would have your charging system checked and make sure the regulator is working properly.
I got this done today, the charging seems fine at 13.5V, however if I was to change the voltage regulator, is it on the alternator and easy to do?

Last edited by A1EK; 06-24-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I have read a few comments on the battery control unit, I pulled back the liner and had a look to see if there was anything obvious as water can ingress there, but all looks good, Tonight I may take the unit apart and check inside.

I have had the battery analysed and all checked out fine with good charging at 13.5V and the batteries are both healthy.

I have now run a set of cables from the + and - to the front and connected my multi meter to monitor the charging volts, so far over a 30min drive it remained constant at 14.1V.

I have also added a thermocouple to monitor the temperature of the battery whilst driving to see when it starts to get hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I'm not sure, but will SDS capture an intermittent overcharging issue?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Update today.

Checked the battery control unit and all looked in order, no evidence of burning not water leaks.

After checking that the charging voltage remained constant I decided to buy another battery to try out on my long 6 hour drive home.

I set up a thermocouple probe on top of battery and connected my meter directly to the battery terminals to monitor from my seat.

All the way home for 6 hours the voltage remained at 14.1 VDC, which is perfect. The temperature did not change much and only sat 2 degrees above ambient which would be expected being under the rear tray with bags etc. Therefore today was 26 degrees C and the battery was 28 degrees C.

Conclusion I think is that the previous battery had a bad cell, i recall the owner jump starting from this battery as the car was sat for ages, I think this may have damaged it as it clearly states do not jump from this battery.

Lastly I bought a Bluetooth remote temperature monitor that I fitted next to the battery to keep an eye on it once in a while from my phone
rudeney likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in