BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: sl600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Inner rear tire wear/ Heat coming from engine in footwell

So I had a couple thoughts on my mind

Every time i change my rear tires (often) the inner side will wear alot faster, outside will have thread while the inside will be down to the steel. I assume chamber have alot to do it, considering adjustable height and I usually have it on sport low setting. so i was wondering are yall noticing similar results.

Also can 305 20 inch tires can fit in the rear (looking for rim/tire options)

So the heat issue in the car footwell. This has always been a thing on my car, heard vipers, and some corvettes have similar quirks, even till the point of burning people feet (barefoot ) In the winter time its a nice feature lol but the summer time in 90 deg weather already its like a furnace blowing on your nuts, ok im exaggerating. but its make the cabin noticeably hotter. Im a windows down, wind blowing guy, but this makes me rolled the windows up and blast the ac at times. some times just at my feet. Heat while driving is one of the reasons I dont ride 1000cc motorcycles, heat makes a driver fatigue and can lead to accidents. So anybody else notice that from the v12's or something isn't right with this benz, that should have more quality over a dodge or vette, or just another feature of big motor equal to big motor problems.

What MPG yall looking at mines between 12.8 to 13.9 mostly city (14.3 best I've seen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: SL600 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The tyres wear waster on the inside because of the car's camber setting. And its not adjustable, unless you purchase and install special tuned adjustable rods. Mine worn out from the inside after 27000 kilometers. Which is enought for me to decide not to touch the car I will check suspension and alignment at the next service.

The footwell is hot, but i don't remeber anyone complaining on it. I have AC on all the time, so maybe its the reason. The car is actually very hot everywhere, e.g touch the central tunnel or trunk after a few hours of driving in the sun.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: sl600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks I figured that, but also wanted to hear yall thoughts

yeah im surprised a company will allow such a negative chamber where its easily wear out the inside tire but unnoticeable from the outside. But i guess it helps with grip and 200mph runs

yeah when the ac is on not noticeable at all,but i just hate running the ac all the times (more wear on the components pump/recharging) more maintenance

but the hood is well insulated but you can feel the heat by the front tires & i remember touching somewhere around the console area one time and it was warm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
yeah im surprised a company will allow such a negative chamber where its easily wear out the inside tire but unnoticeable from the outside. But i guess it helps with grip and 200mph runs
Well, if all the suspension is in place, i dont think it should be an issue. But i wonder why they designed it in a way that lacks any ability to adjust camber. On the fromnt axle you can adjust by using special bolts, but rear axle is totally unadjustable.

Quote:
but i just hate running the ac all the times (more wear on the components pump/recharging) more maintenance
I never recall any AC issues with any of my cars. The only one was leaking pipes due to chemical warware they put on the roads in winter Moreover, it looks like the AC compressor in this car rotatates all the time anyway (but i have to confirm that).

Quote:
but the hood is well insulated but you can feel the heat by the front tires
For the real heat try opening the hood right after stopping the engine
Triple cranks likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Better to run the AC than not. Keeps things lubricated and conditioned (sorry for the pun).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
Better to run the AC than not.
It doesn't matter with a variable-displacement type compressor like the kind fitted to the R230. Even with the A/C "off" the compressor is still engaged.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Huh, good to know. I did not know that. Was thinking of the conventional systems with which I am more familiar.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Does that mean that even in the coldest days of winter, the freon is circulating through the ENTIRE system? Still learning about these exotic cars lol!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Not sure that there is pressure all the time, but compressor rotates all the time for sure. Probably when cooling is not required, pressure in the system is minimal and it freon is not circulating.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
Does that mean that even in the coldest days of winter, the freon is circulating through the ENTIRE system?
I suppose so, but it is insignificant. With the A/C off the compressor pumps at 2% of its capacity in order to keep its internal components lubricated.

This segment of a YouTube video gives an idea of how variable displacement is accomplished:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in