BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Vehicle: 2000 R129 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Malfunctioning "loading assist" / "easy pack"

Hi all!

I own an R129, but in the past weekend I tried to help a relative with his 2007 R230 SL500 (SL550). There was an issue with the red "easy pack" / "loading assist" button. For no reason this button stopped working when the car was woken up from its winter hibernation in a heated garage with battery trickle charging during the season.

The red button lights up as it should when the VarioRoof is packed in the trunk and the trunk lid is fully opened engaging the micro switch on the right. The luggage cover is of course also engaged. When pressing the button, the roof does not elevate. For maybe 1 sec time, one can hear the vacuum pump engaging, but no roof elevation and no easy pack.

I disassembled part of the trim and there appear to be no electrical failure in the 3 switches. Star Diagnostics does not throw any fault codes either. I found the switch indications in Star Diagnostics too, and they appear to function as they should, so the trunk struts are not the issue from what I can understand.

Anyone can help us with this problem?

Thank you in advance!

/Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
This uses the hydraulic pump for the roof, not the pneumatic pump. How is the fluid level in the pump? Does the roof work otherwise?

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes, you are right, I'm sorry. It's the hydraulic pump that actuates for about 1 sec. The roof works perfectly fine otherwise. The fluid level in the pump is in the middle of the white reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
I would look at "Actual values" for the roof controller. You should see a menu item for the Easy Pack under which you will find the status of a handful of prerequisites needed for this feature to operate. If all of those are in order, then check to see if the controller is reading the control switch by observing its value in software while you operate it.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL500 silver
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm new to the R230 world, just picked up my 2003 in April. I had a similar experience when I hit the red button....nothing happened, so I pushed the trunk lid up a little higher and then the button worked and the pack lifted as it should. May not be your problem, but thankfully it worked for me.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhmbldr View Post
I'm new to the R230 world, just picked up my 2003 in April. I had a similar experience when I hit the red button....nothing happened, so I pushed the trunk lid up a little higher and then the button worked and the pack lifted as it should. May not be your problem, but thankfully it worked for me.
Yep, a common issue is the Lift-O-Mat struts that support the trunk lid get weak and don't hold it fully open, so the limit switch that verified the trunk lid is open does not register.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
I would look at "Actual values" for the roof controller. You should see a menu item for the Easy Pack under which you will find the status of a handful of prerequisites needed for this feature to operate. If all of those are in order, then check to see if the controller is reading the control switch by observing its value in software while you operate it.
Thank you for the advice. I have checked all of the actual values ("Istwerte" in German) of the switches and the prerequisities for operation, and they're all in order from what I can figure. I have observed the values in Star whilst operating the trunk lid, the luggage cover and also the red button. The values change accordingly.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_1986 View Post
I have checked all of the actual values...and they're all in order from what I can figure.
If all inputs are fine, then generally the controller or an output become suspect. But that isn't the case here, because the loading assist action is part of a roof open/close operation, and that works fine. I don't know what could be the cause of the problem and have nothing to suggest.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
What happens if you try pulling up on the roof while pressing the button? Maybe the hydraulic pump is weak? I tested mine and with the trunk lid not fully opened, the pump does not run at all, so that tells me your limit switch for the trunk lid is not an issue.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
What happens if you try pulling up on the roof while pressing the button? Maybe the hydraulic pump is weak? I tested mine and with the trunk lid not fully opened, the pump does not run at all, so that tells me your limit switch for the trunk lid is not an issue.
The limit switch should not be an issue, since I've made sure the trunk lid is fully open and I checked the acutual value through Star. Star indicates on/off proper function of the trunk lid limit switch. I tried lifting the roof while pressing the button, no effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in