BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismyers View Post
Thanks for the reply! What is the success rate of using the compression coupler? I've used them on home water lines but my understanding is the ABC is under significantly higher pressure than typical home water lines. Just don't want to go down that road knowing another failure is going to happen.

Chris
Since I have not heard of any ABC coupler issues on the forums...I'd say excellent success. And a LOT less costly. I do not fear couplers.

There are more posts to be found in the W220 forum, as most (all?) of the S class uses ABC, and there are more W220 than R230.

Check out this post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...ml#post6656414

And this frequent ABC poster:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...ml#post6656261

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150, 2003 SL500, 2003 Honda S2000, 2013 Mini Clubman, 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok ... The hose that blew out has been replaced. I filled the reservoir (it took about 2 3/4 quarts) and also did the adding a little compressed air thing. I started the car and voila ... no ABC warning on the dash! I then pressed the raise button once, the car raised. I pressed it again and it raised again. Pressed it again and the car lowers to normal position ... WOOO HOOO! everything appears to be working. As others have suggested I continued to raise and lower the car (with sport mode on and off) 10-15 times and everything works great!

When I filled the reservoir, the engine was off, I filled the level to the "Motor Aus" (motor off) notch.

I go out this morning and look under the car and there's a puddle. Crap. I rechecked the bolts, they are tight and dry. I then checked the dipstick and it was WAY over the "Motor Aus" notch ... almost to the top of the dipstick. WTH?

I then removed enough fluid to put it back in the "Motor Aus" notch. I started the car, pressed the button to raise, pressed the button to raise again, and pressed again to return to normal. This process was performed a total of 3 times. I then checked the fluid level again, this time with the engine running, and it was significantly lower than the "Motor An" notch. WTH?

I know while adding fluid I did make a mess. I'm not sure it was this size of mess but a mess nonetheless. If you look at the attached pictures, I am pointing to where it is leaking.

I am thinking this leak is residual leaking from the initial blow out, plus the spillage from filling the reservoir.

I've followed the lines and I cannot find any thing that would indicate an active leak. It appears the leak is coming down part of the frame? sub-frame? I'm not sure what to call it.

Any Ideas??

As always, any tips, tricks, advice or even replies are greatly appreciated!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear ABC Leak.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	2519086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Leak.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	621.6 KB
ID:	2519088  

Last edited by Chrismyers; 06-09-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: More Information
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Those underbody trim panels can hold A LOT of oil. I'll bet there was nearly 2 quarts in mine. I removed them and cleaned them so I wouldn't have to deal with the continual drips.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150, 2003 SL500, 2003 Honda S2000, 2013 Mini Clubman, 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Those underbody trim panels can hold A LOT of oil. I'll bet there was nearly 2 quarts in mine. I removed them and cleaned them so I wouldn't have to deal with the continual drips.
Thanks for the reply! My car didn't come with those panels ... unfortunately. I'm ordering them tomorrow.

I did take the car for a small drive today to see if the ABC light would come on. It didn't. The leak seems to be slowing down. I still think it might be some residual. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Thank you to everyone who replied! I really do appreciate it.

Chris
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
What really held a lot of oil in mine were the panels under the seats - not the lower engine covers. I'd be surprised if someone had remove those. The lower engine covers, though, are prone to curb damage, then they get ripped off at highway speeds.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in