Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2006 S55 AMG - 2007 SL55 AMG P030
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
2008 SL65 transmission issue...

The SL65 had developed a transmission issue whereby during normal driving it suddenly would appear like it was in neutral (free revving engine but no power). Stop the car and after a few minute power would be back for a short distance than repeat the same issue.

So far checked ATF fluid (OK) same issue continued - followed by replacing the conductor plate and all appears to be back to normal for 3 days. Made a test drive today and at one instance after a short stop with the engine off for about 10 minutes it wouldn't crank over until jumping the start battery (bat is new) than after 5-10 miles it would suddenly free rev again for a very short period will coasting along the it regained transmission power and I drove it back to my garage.

I ran I quick SDS test and it came back with the following results >See SDS screen shots

It appears to me that under # 13 Full list of codes and events >N15/5 may be the issue related to transmission going into what appears to be neutral.

I would like to hear from others about there opinion or related experiences to resolve this issue.

This one has me kind of puzzled for now - As you can see from the screen shot I also have a charge air sensor issue but I don't think that has any thing to do with the going into neutral matter.

Thanks for any information you may be able to share on this.

Best H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13 Full list of codes and events.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2504678   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Quick test results.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2504680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Fault code 20E1 Charge air temp to high.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2504682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Supplement info oncdoe 20E1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2504684   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Preconditions for test B17-8.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2504686  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It does sound like the shifter is the culprit. Has anything been spilled in it? It might be worthwhile to pull it out and clean things, check connections, etc.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Rudeney, could oil be weeping up from the trans wiring and getting into the TCU?

Last edited by Triple cranks; 04-19-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Auto spell spelled "Rudeney" incorrectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
No weeping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
Rudely, could oil be weeping up from the trans wiring and getting into the TCU?
There is no oil weeping, however I have found that the PO must have replaced the original ETC unit with a model that is not suitable for the 2007-2008 model years (I have a correct replacement on order at this time) until that has arrived further work on this is on hold.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rodney and others - Steps taken so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
It does sound like the shifter is the culprit. Has anything been spilled in it? It might be worthwhile to pull it out and clean things, check connections, etc.
I think that for most reading the following may sound confusing or complicated however I hope that Rodney and those interested will take the time to review and comment where possible.

As originally reported SDS gave me 4 codes (see attached picture) now down to 1 code only!
1 EZS - Electronic Ignition switch
2 ETC - Electronic transmission control
3 ESM - Electronic selector module
4 ME 2.7.2 Motor electronics

So far I found that the fob key that was initially used was bad (did not work with key-less start) changing to a key that works with key-less start canceled the EZS code.

Removing and cleaning and re-installing the selector switch in the ESM unit canceled the ESM and ME 2.7.2 code.

As I was now left with only the ETC code reporting having a unkown fault I pulled the it from the car and found that the original unit for the model years 2007-2008 which is supposed to be a EGS52 part# 035 545 16 32 was replaced by a model xxxx with part#xxxxxxxxx and SDS kept reporting this as an unkown device.

I did have on hand a ETC unit model EGS52 Part# 035 545 15 32 (from a 2006 SL55) and when it got connected SDS did recognize it and showed numerous issues. However as I'm at this point believe that I need to have the part with # 035 545 16 32 installed (which has the right firmware for the model years 2007-2008) I'm waiting for it to arrive before I proceed.

I will today run an SDS test on my 2007 SL55 which I assume has the EGS52 with part# 035 545 16 32 installed to see what the correct reading are for a ETC unit that has been untouched and is fully functional.

I'll report more detailed findings of may ETC SDS test when available.

A remote thought is that when a transmission has larger than normal amounts of metal particals deposited on the low and high speed sensors sensors (located on the conductor plate) can and will this effect the function of these encapsulated micro speed sensors.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 Quick test results.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2505798  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: sl600
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a similar issue but mines wasn't as problematic, and more on user error. (04 sl600=5 speed 722.6)

So driving at highway speeds I a got out of gear into neutral and revved it to 5k rpm at 70mph, wasn't able to get back into gear till i coasted it for 30 secs onto off ramp at low speeds of around 25mph

(no warning lights, no mechanical sounds, and it wasn't hard for me to engage drive or back to neutral simultaneously, its like the TCU realize something was up & waited to re-engage drive)

But I done this before, without issue (multiple times, probably do it again)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rodney and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
So I now have pulled the pan and valve body with conductor plate (that I replaced with a new one after the first pull) for the 3rd time in one week and every time I find particals on the pan magnet and speed sensors (see attached) Q: Can the amount of partical on the speed sensor cause a bad reading to the ETM?

I did an Ohm check on all the solenoids and they appear to be within range (see attached) I'm waiting for the correct version of ETM unit to arrive on Tuesday ( can you confirm the part # 2008 SL65 as 035 545 16 32) right now I have no access to EPC they say my ID which starts with C7 is no longer valid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl600kid View Post
I had a similar issue but mines wasn't as problematic, and more on user error. (04 sl600=5 speed 722.6)

So driving at highway speeds I a got out of gear into neutral and revved it to 5k rpm at 70mph, wasn't able to get back into gear till i coasted it for 30 secs onto off ramp at low speeds of around 25mph

(no warning lights, no mechanical sounds, and it wasn't hard for me to engage drive or back to neutral simultaneously, its like the TCU realize something was up & waited to re-engage drive)

But I done this before, without issue (multiple times, probably do it again)
I appreciate your time to comment but do you have any idea on the resolve for this issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speed sensors 1.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2506550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Magnet 3rd pull.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2506552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 10 TCU unit.jpg
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	2506566  
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Pressure test failure

So I found that all solenoids passed the Ohm's test however 3 out of 6 (see marked areas) did leak air when tested with 25 PSI so they will be replaced today and we will re-assemble it and test the car
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Solved

I made a pressure tester to test the solenoids compared the the old TCC solenoid versus a new one
and found the new one to hold 5 PSI versus the old one leaking down to zero.g

Re-Installed all and took the car for a short test drive and the car is shifting normal again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solenoid pressure tester.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2507460  
rudeney likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in