post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2009 SL550 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question trunk open warning light

The red light on the trunk control button on the driver's door and warning light stay on even though the trunk closes and latches normally. The most annoying aspect of this is that it prevents the top from opening. Has anyone else encountered this? Searching around this was the closest match I could find:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...32392_ds722203

I'll try adjusting the latch but the on one on the button is quite rigid and I'm a bit worried about fiddling with the one on the trunk lid since the soft close mechanism is there.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The pneumatic "pull down" function of the latch is not working. It's almost certainly due to a leak in the plastic sections of the latch. This will help:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...w-fix-diy.html

In the mean time, try pulling fuse 71 for a minute to reset the PSE pump. You may be able to get the latch to pull down once or twice, but it will eventually shot down the circuit again due to extended run time of the PSE pump.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2009 SL550 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rodney for your typical fast, helpful response. My apologies on not posting my outcome earlier but I ended up going to my Indy right before a long vacay.

The latch was indeed not functioning and they replaced it. I know it will eventually fail again but the first one lasted over 10 years with me using it a lot. They said it took several hours of tracing and I thought the notes were mildly interesting:

Reported that trunk lid warning is on in the display and vario roof will not operate
Scan all systems with xentry diagnostics. No fault codes present.
Test trunk latch operation using actual values in xentry diagnosis.
Found incorrect trunk latch switch operation.
With the trunk latch removed, found the trunk latch switches work, but the trunk latch vacuum housing are cracking.
Replace trunk latch but still not functioning.
Trace trunk latch circuits further. Found open circuit in the trunk lid wiring harness.
Access harness as necessary and repair defective wiring.
Confirm correct operation of trunk latch and vario roof.

At first they thought the replacement latch might by faulty and when I talked to the technician at the end he said there's a wiring harness that gets stressed some when the trunk lid is operated but gets more stress when the vario roof operates and that there was a break inside one of the wires so he had to probe them manually to find it. I told him that I do operate the roof a lot (a few hundred times a year). Is there a way to get a count for that?

What I don't know is that if I did the DIY fix if I would have gotten stuck because of this wiring harness issue or if somehow they caused that problem but I figure I should share my experience here. Ended up costing me $1100. My SL is 11 years old this month and I understand that not being able to DIY makes things (much) more expensive at times but this forum is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If the wiring harness was defective, then the repair would likely had not worked.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in