post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suddenly Misfiring all over

2004 SL600 V12 twin turbo, 87K Miles, car is like new inside and out, I've put 2K miles on it in the last 15 months. Driving today, all perfect as usual, Suddenly check engine light came on and noticeable loss of power. I was a mile from home so drove gently and parked. Using generic code reader as I don't have an SDS... Codes: P0307, P0309, P0311, P0308, P0310, P0300. Looks like a lot of misfires have become the order of the day. Could it be that I need an ignition coil pack? That would be one side of the engine. Or maybe there is another cause? It can't be spark plugs or wires since this all came on so suddenly. Or possible fuel issue? Any help is always appreciated.

Please don't spill Champagne in the Mercedes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Betting 10:1 it is the coil packs. There are threads on how to fix them. If above your skill, there are others that can fix them for you too.
I don't have a V12 so I don't know the diagnostics required. I'm sure others will know.
tonylinc likes this.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 2009 SL550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob999 View Post
Betting 10:1 it is the coil packs. There are threads on how to fix them. If above your skill, there are others that can fix them for you too.
I don't have a V12 so I don't know the diagnostics required. I'm sure others will know.
I agree. I just went through a similar situation on my '03 Jag. After 15 years those coil packs (one per cylinder) in your SL600 can and do get tired. I doubt more than two are toast. Easy fix for you if you've got some tools. Don't want to play around under the hood? Get the car to a well known/quality repair shop and let them do it for you. Coil pack replacement is easy and one of the low cost repairs older cars, even Mercedes, get to try out sooner or later.
If you drive the car in 'limp mode' to a shop that's within a mile or so you'll do no damage but going much further has the potential to mess up your catalytic converters - those aren't inexpensive . Call for a car transporter .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum 56 View Post
I agree. I just went through a similar situation on my '03 Jag. After 15 years those coil packs (one per cylinder) in your SL600 can and do get tired. I doubt more than two are toast. Easy fix for you if you've got some tools. Don't want to play around under the hood? Get the car to a well known/quality repair shop and let them do it for you. Coil pack replacement is easy and one of the low cost repairs older cars, even Mercedes, get to try out sooner or later.
If you drive the car in 'limp mode' to a shop that's within a mile or so you'll do no damage but going much further has the potential to mess up your catalytic converters - those aren't inexpensive . Call for a car transporter .
I also doubt more than two are bad since there are only two

They are also not a low cost repair. Each side has one common coil and they run around $1200 each.

I'm guessing one of the coil packs. There is a company that will send you a loaner to test it out with an option to buy. I forget who it is but they sounded decent and I think a quick search on here should help locate them. If it is a coil, I suggest checking the other side as well. That is if you are gentle and not ham fisted.

If you can methodically and gingerly pull the good coil it is worth replacing the insulators. They are made of silicone and dry out and crack and cause the coils to absorb more heat than they should which can lead to failure. I would bet the bad coil, if it is in fact bad, will have deteriorated silicone insulators.

Also, you don't have spark plug cables on your engine.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2004 SL600
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is your recommended next stop:

V12icpack, Mercedes S600 ignition coil pack repair, ECU, misfires V12 engines - Home

Ask for Clark. He's AWESOME and will save you a bunch of $$$$.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:03 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
That's the vendor!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 2009 SL550
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
I also doubt more than two are bad since there are only two

They are also not a low cost repair. Each side has one common coil and they run around $1200 each.

I'm guessing one of the coil packs. There is a company that will send you a loaner to test it out with an option to buy. I forget who it is but they sounded decent and I think a quick search on here should help locate them. If it is a coil, I suggest checking the other side as well. That is if you are gentle and not ham fisted.

If you can methodically and gingerly pull the good coil it is worth replacing the insulators. They are made of silicone and dry out and crack and cause the coils to absorb more heat than they should which can lead to failure. I would bet the bad coil, if it is in fact bad, will have deteriorated silicone insulators.

Also, you don't have spark plug cables on your engine.

Been traveling so pardon the slow response. Thanks for the education on engine coils used on an SL600 V12. I, obviously, have never had my hands on a SL600 engine and made the mistake of assuming the SL600 V12 was sparked like my SL550, Jag XK8 4.2 or my old Jag XKS V12. Wrong. I'll know better next time

Best RFB
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: SL600 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last 2 digits of your DTC numbers show exact cilinders where you have misfires. So you seem to have cylinders 7, 8, 10,11, basically one half of the engine. If i'm not mistaken it's s driver's side.

The system is quite simple - two coils and power supply.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2006 SL600
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check your fuel pressure. My car was doing this and it had nothing to do with the coils packs or the voltage transformer. The ecm does not monitor fuel pressure so there is no error code the alert you to a failing fuel pump. When the pressure dips, random fuel injectors do not fire which is reported as a miss. Then the ecm shuts off those cylinders, thinking the coil is not firing, to protect the cats from filling with unburned fuel. If the miss goes away when you stop and restart the car, I'd suspect the pump or the control module. Most likely the pump.

Coils can cause this to happen but a fuel pump is a couple hundred dollars.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, I got in touch with Clark. He seems to be the guy who knows more about these ignition systems, which are actually fairly simple and straightforward, than anyone else in the world. The first order was to make sure the power transformer was not the culprit. So we swapped that out and it made no difference, so removed the coilpack from the left side of the engine where the misfirings were occurring. Clark has that unit now to rebuild and send back for around $699. With 88K miles decided to look at the spark plugs. Not the worst I have ever seen but I am certain they are original ones that came with the car. Followed Clark's advice which is to use the exact spark plugs that came with the car and accept no substitute. Bought 24 of them the Mercedes part number is A004 159 14 03 which corresponds to NGK IFR6Q-G IRIDIUM (never use anything other than Iridium plugs with turbos) and the old spark plugs were not fouled with oil or anything like that but definitely had done their duty! Now all new spark plugs are in the engine, the right side is all buttoned up again and I am just waiting for the rebuilt coil pack to arrive. Spark plugs were $289.00 and so this refurbishing of the ignition system will have cost around $1000 which is okay for a car like this. I am told that when your spark plugs become old and worn out they place higher load on your coilpacks which could cause them to go bad. But most people with these engines just wait until it quits running perfectly before re-tuning, because of the average cost of having someone replace all your spark plugs. It is really quite easy to do. My car ran phenomenally well until the moment it suddenly did not! But judging from those spark plugs, I think it is going to be even faster now than it already was. With the Renntech ECU, upgraded intercooler pump and rear mufflers deleted, about 650HP and frankly a little bit ridiculous!! I will report back as soon as it is all back together and running! Thanks everyone!

Please don't spill Champagne in the Mercedes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in