post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Anyone familiar with trunk lock system?

So I've had this 66K miles 2005 SL500 for a year now and I love it! Everything works including roof, etc. Issues with it though is trunk lock and I was hoping someone has had same experience and gotten them resolved. Any help would be appreciated!

1: So trunk worked fine when I got the car. Everything from release with remote to emergency release button in trunk to release switch in car worked like they should.

2: After few months I could hear hissing from trunk lock. I read through forums and sealed all the ball bearings on actuator tight where I could see hairline cracks. Reset consumer battery and all was fine for a short while.

3: Next to was switch on drivers door. Bought new switch. Nothing. Just stopped working... Next was trunk release by remote. Just stopped working.

4: Now remote and switch on drivers door doesn't work, but can be opened with the key in fob. Decided to ignore issue till later as I had access to the trunk with key.

5: All of a sudden trunk pops open while driving...

6: I disconnected power lines from actuator mechanism in trunk to stop trunk from popping open while driving. Pneumatic works fine as pull down works consistently.

Consumer battery is new and works fine for all other systems. I trickle charge to full once every other week or if car is not driven for 2 or more days. No issue with battery just want to keep it healthy. Battery charge controller behind trunk lining near battery is good. Charge controller relays are also good. Pneumatic pump is fine as locks are good and I always keep seat bolster dials to '0' so no air leaks from pneumatic system on seat as they have usual leaking bolster inflator bags.

Any ideas anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2007 CL600, 2003 SL55AMG, 1987 560SEL ECE, 1985 280SL
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would get the error codes read with Star. Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

Does remote work on passenger door? Fresh batteries in key fob and a sync will at least rule out issues with the remote.

Never heard of a lid pops open at speed. Sounds like the control unit is acting up.

Stay flexible - keep smiling
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Although you sealed the ball bearings, you may have a leak on the diaphragm on the trunk lock. Mine actually started doing that first. BTW, to reset the PSE for the turnk lock, there is no need to disconnect the consumer battery - just pull the fuse for a minute. It's #71 on the rear panel.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to dlafever Send a message via Yahoo to dlafever
I've got no SL currently, however the 'popped open at highway speed' reminded me of the description in my W221 manual. The Emergency inside release (green button in my car) can be opened at any time, including while at speed. Perhaps there is something going on with that switch in your trunk?

Good luck with this, I recently went through the drama of having someone close my trunk while both batteries were disconnected. Only afterward did I find out the mechanical key lock was toast! I had to cut a hole in the spare wheel tub (plastic) and reseal it after reconnecting the consumer battery ground strap.
Dudeman likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlafever View Post
I've got no SL currently, however the 'popped open at highway speed' reminded me of the description in my W221 manual. The Emergency inside release (green button in my car) can be opened at any time, including while at speed. Perhaps there is something going on with that switch in your trunk?
That's a good thought!

Quote:
Good luck with this, I recently went through the drama of having someone close my trunk while both batteries were disconnected. Only afterward did I find out the mechanical key lock was toast! I had to cut a hole in the spare wheel tub (plastic) and reseal it after reconnecting the consumer battery ground strap.
The plastic on my trunk latch is deteriorating to the point that where the mechanical linkage from the handle connects, it is broken so that my manual unlock would not work either. I fixed it with some JB Weld and bailing wire, but not trusting it, I drilled a hole in the lid behind the tag so i could get a screwdriver in there and trip it if necessary.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:47 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 2008 SL550
My GF's 2008 SL550 suddenly started giving her a trunk open warning. I could hear the dreaded hissing coming from the trunk latch and the draw down won't pull in. After removing the latch assy and still hooked to the vehicle PSE pump I noted the draw down piston would not push the latch fully closed. Inspection of the ball bearing fittings showed no cracking. I removed the entire latch and put some low pressure air to the latch assy and discovered air from the big draw down piston housing. I isolated that component by placing low pressure air right on the actuator and observing the hissing air escaping from the housing. I am assuming there is some sort of bladder inside the housing that has ruptured as there needs to be a lot of mechanical force to push the latch lever out and compress the return spring inside the piston housing. I have ordered a new latch assy. and it appears that this one has been replaced just a few years ago.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Yes, there is a diaphragm in there. The tabs that hold the plastic housing together crack and allow air leaks. Some fix it with epoxy (like with the ball bearing). I fixed mine with zip ties:

dlafever likes this.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL500
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the R230 trunk lock system? Hopefully covering all components from driver's door release to emergency truck release and pneumatic (pull down) latch itself? Also, is there a separate control module for the trunk lock?

I have an icarsoft MBII... doesnt see a module. I also have the MB WIS/ASRA workshop discs but cant find a wiring diagram in it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Schematics for many modern Mercedes are here: StarFinder. When you select a schematic Windows will ask you to save at as a file. You can open the file using free Design Review software from AutoDesk here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/de...eview/download.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2008 SL 500
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydas View Post
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the R230 trunk lock system? Hopefully covering all components from driver's door release to emergency truck release and pneumatic (pull down) latch itself? Also, is there a separate control module for the trunk lock?

I have an icarsoft MBII... doesnt see a module. I also have the MB WIS/ASRA workshop discs but cant find a wiring diagram in it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Why can you not find the diagram in WIS?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PSE CL schematic.pdf (305.9 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in