post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2007, sl600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
motor mount

local indy said motot mount eventually need replace, what is the reasonable price to replace motor mount for 2007 sl600? i can't tell when driving. smooth and do not feel shake. would it hurt the car if i keep on driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
I don't own an SL600,or SL65, but if I did, I would keep this post handy for reference.
Most say you pull the motor if you have turbos. Some say you can drop the subframe and get to them.
Either way, much more involved the the garden variety V8.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post3832969

Can you drive without changing them? Yes, but for how long? 100, 1000, 10000 miles?
At some point they have to be fixed or passed on to someone else who has the cash or skills.
There is no such thing as a cheap V12 Mercedes to maintain.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
On the V12 engines, the official procedure is to pull the engine for motor mount replacement. Dropping the axle carrier would get you access, but it's probably just as much of a job. I dropped on an a W164 ML after a crash and it was quite the task.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Is the test for motor mounts the same as other cars? I simply lightly power brake the car in drive and reverse to see if the engine lifts on one side. Is this the correct procedure?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple cranks View Post
Is the test for motor mounts the same as other cars? I simply lightly power brake the car in drive and reverse to see if the engine lifts on one side. Is this the correct procedure?
Yes, this is how I test. You will see the issue better in forward vs. reverse, as this is the way the engine mounts are normally loaded during driving.
Here is an example of bad mounts:

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2007, sl600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks. will bring car to dealer to get inspected. dealer checked the car out in december and said everything was ok. i wonder if they looked for motor mount problem.
i do not feel any vibration at all when driving. in fact it is more stable , smooth , and better than my lexus sc 430.
on mthe phone, service dept quoteb $179 for eack motor mount, and $5000 dollars for labor.
indy is asking $3000 for labor plus parts.
here is what i found on cartalk:

Motor Mounts: To Replace or Not to Replace?
Dear Car Talk
Dear Car Talk | Oct 31, 2013

Dear Tom and Ray:

I've never given my engine mounts a second thought until my Acura mechanic advised me that my 2001 MDX with 95,000 gently acquired miles was showing "engine mount wear" and that the front and side engine mounts "ought to be replaced." This is my lovingly maintained and leisurely driven luxo-truck, which has never experienced anything akin to an "off-road" experience or even modest abuse. So, are we talking rational preventive maintenance, or is my dealership's mechanic looking for something to do to this otherwise problem-free vehicle? Dropping the front sub-frame and lifting the engine to install the mounts sounds like a serious invasion of my vehicle's personal space, not to mention the $700 lightening of my wallet.

-- Robert

RAY: Your engine mounts may very well be showing signs of wear. But that doesn't mean you have to replace them right now, Robert.

TOM: Engine mounts, sometimes called motor mounts, essentially are rubber blocks that both hold the engine in place and help to isolate the engine's vibrations from the rest of the car. That's so you don't feel like you're driving one of those motel beds that takes quarters.

RAY: In fact, that's often the first sign that a motor mount is failing. You'll feel a lot more vibration when the car is in drive and you're stopped at a light, for instance.

TOM: Over time, rubber degrades from getting dried out and from being attacked by the ozone in the atmosphere. So all older mounts show some signs of wear.

RAY: The real question is whether there is any sign that they are broken or stretching excessively.

TOM: The way your mechanic will test your engine mounts is by putting the car in drive or reverse, planting his foot on the brake and giving the car some gas.

RAY: If a mount is broken, an observer looking in the engine compartment will actually see the engine lift up and twist. With a broken mount, we've seen an engine move as much as a foot.

TOM: If it's stretching more than it should, which suggests it may be getting ready to break, the engine still will move more than it should -- and a trained eye will be able to see that.

RAY: But in your case, since you don't trust the trained eye you're dealing with, get a second opinion, Robert. Check the Mechanics Files on our website (www.cartalk.com), plug in your ZIP code and search for a highly recommended mechanic near you. Then ask him to test your motor mounts.

TOM: If they're not actually stretching or broken, I'd leave 'em alone.

RAY: Even if they're old, cracked and decrepit-looking, like my brother, if you drive gently, they could last a long time before actually breaking. Years, even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in