Pulsation Dampener Repalced - Mercedes-Benz Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-25-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Pulsation Dampener Repalced

A few weeks ago on my way back from Nashville, I began to hear an odd noise from the car. I was running about 90mph and it sounded like the whine you'd expect to hear from the differential in a big dump truck, but there was no dump truck nearby. After varying my speed and engine RPM, I realized it was coming from my car. I made a rest stop and could hear it coming from the engine. It was a sort of a whining/whirring noise, and I could feel some vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. These are pretty much tell-tale symptoms of a failing pulsation dampener. Further testing confirmed it. It won't make any noise until the fluid heats up. A single short drive of 5-10 miles with RPMs kept low would not create any noise, but the moment I revved beyond about 3,000RPM, I'd begin to hear and feel it. Or, after driving a bit and then stopping, I'd then hear the noise on the next drive. My theory is that there is a pinhole in the diaphragm and cold oil is too thick to enter it, but once it heats up, the oil thins and the pinhole expands, and it fills with oil and stops working.

Since my car has the MY2007+ ABC system, the pulsation dampener is mounted directly to the pump. WIS states that the pump must be completely removed for replacement. Part of this is for access, because the dampener is wedged in under the head cover, but also because the dampener is only to be removed with the pump upside down to prevent any contaminates entering the pump. I decided to take my chances and just clean everything thoroughly and remove the dampener after detaching the pump from the engine and sliding it forward. I took one photo (below) of the pump moved forward with easy access to the dampener.

To do this, I had to remove the serpentine belt, the pulley on the pump (to access one of the bolts) and the three bolts holding the pump to the engine. I also unbolted the pressure hose from its bracket to make access easier. The pump was easy to move forward enough for the pulsation damper the be accessed.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Lifted the front end and removed front left wheel (just for easier access for crawling under the car) and the lower engine paneling.
2. Released the belt tensioner from underneath the car and locked it in place with a small screwdriver.
3. Removed the bolt holding the pump bracket to the engine block. I decided to remove the bracket form the block rather then bracket from the pump as access was easier.
4. Back up top, I removed the serpentine belt from the ABC pump and AC compressor.
5. Disconnected the wiring harness from the ABC pump and move it out of the way.
5. Removed the top bolt holding the pump to the engine (actually it bolts onto the timing chain cover).
6. Discovered that even with some of my low-profile tools, I could not get to the lower front bolt without removing the pump pulley.
7. Removed the three bolts holding the pulley to the pump. Note that this would have been easier with the serpentine belt in place to hold the pulley, so do that first!
8. With the pump loose, I could slide it forward just enough so the pulsation dampener was clearly accessible (see photo below).
9. THOROUGHLY cleaned the area on top of the pump and around the dampener. I first hosed it down with a can of electrical contact cleaner. I figured that would be better than engine degreaser as it dries quickly. I used a microfiber cloth wrapped around the dampener and "buffed" it.
10. I replaced the dampener and put everything back together.
11. I found it easier to first install the top front pump bolt without the hose bracket to hold it in place. Then, i was able to get the lower bolt and bracket started, the rear bolt started, and then torque everything down.
12. I was able to hold the pulley with my hand when torquing its bolts.

The torque for the pulley bolts is 30Nm, the pump-to-engine bolts are 20Nm. The pulsation dampener is 45Nm.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-25-2018, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2007 CL600, 2003 SL55AMG, 1987 560SEL ECE, 1985 280SL
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!

Stay flexible - keep smiling
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-26-2018, 04:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: Current 2012 GLK350, 2009 SL550 Past 08 SLK55, 05 S600, 81 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for writing this up Rodney. I’ll definitely add this to my kb as every little bit of info helps with these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-26-2018, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2011 SL550 Black
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man, you're an encyclopedia of knowledge on these R230s. Thanks for yet another great write up.
tonylinc and 2007SL600 like this.

Schundg

2011 SL550
(Black W/Beige Interior - 20k Miles
2003 911 Cabriolet
(Silver W/Black Interior - 33k Miles (Sold)
1991 500SL
(Red W/Palamino Interior - 7k miles (Sold)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-26-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have three desirable qualities: The ability to turn a wrench, a fearless desire to take things apart and put them back together, and a copy of WIS.
Triple cranks and 2007SL600 like this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-27-2018, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 2007 SL 550
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Rodney
A great reference for when I do this on my 2007
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Unread 10-30-2018, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
I am about to tackle this job over the weekend. Your post is timely and well written . Thank you for sharing
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2007 SL600 R230 M275 RennTech Tuned
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very timely information for me also.

Thanks for sharing your process with us.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Unread 02-04-2019, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I am working on replacing damper on 2007 SL550
Instructions above are great, but I am not sure where the 3rd bolt is to loosen the pump.
I got the 2 bolts loose on the passenger side of pump.
Is the 3rd one on the back side of the pump?
Does it have a ground cable connected to it?

If that is it, did you get at it from underneath?

Thanks---Bill
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Unread 02-04-2019, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Got It Loose!
Found third bolt/nut

13 mm nut.
Found it by feel ---couldn't see it
It is on bottom backside of pump.
Accessed it from underneath

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in