post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel leaking

Hi everyone. I think I have bought a pos car for the first time in my life. This 2005 SL55 has been a major pain so far. From ruptured hydraulic hose 2 days after purchase to Smog issues. Now on to fuel leak under the car.

I have noticed there is a small puddle of gas on the ground after the car started and idles for a minute or two. It seems like the puddle is located right under the rear axle in the middle. I’m thinking there is a leak in the fuel pump or filter. However. I couldn’t find where the pump and filter are located. Other cars has it built into the pump and sender unit as one sits inside the tank. Could you guys please show me where these things are located? Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Probably the filter, or the pump, or the lines going to the group (there are a lot). It's a bitch to get to, above the differential. Lift is best, but I've done it from jack stands.
The pump is under there nested with the filter, and for the SL55 the pump is a $300 unit with high volume and pressure. Not the same as the SL500 pump, and others.

Get under the car and track down the leak. It should be obvious. Might be a good time to replace the filter for peace of mind. If it is the lines, you may want to do all of them in the area. Or at least the high pressure ones. Your call.
Here is some WIS info to make the process clear.

FYI - I would not write the car off as a POS yet. It may be differed maintenance from the previous owner, or just bad luck. This is pretty common issues for the age and complexity of this platform. It is the most complicated technology platforms that Mercedes ever made, so it's going to need some care and feeding. Once the bugs are out, and known weak points addressed, you will have a fast, fun, and reliable car. Mine is older with double the miles, but I've taken it on a couple 3000 mile journeys and would do so today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pierburg 228.51.0 fuel pump data.pdf (1.36 MB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump and Filter.pdf (879.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf Fuel System Overview.pdf (1.01 MB, 39 views)

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
@kbob999 . Thank you so very much for your help and words of encouragement. I used to dread working on my Maserati GT. Now, this SL takes the winning cake. 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
@kbo0999.

I have finished removing the pump's bracket and filter bracket. Waiting for the parts to arrive. I would like to ask
how to remove the title plastic zip tie retainer that's holding on to fuel pressure sensor and the fuel hose hose connecting from the pump's output to the filter please? This piece of plastic retainer seems to be screwed into the bottom of the metal chassis just below the gas tank, but I could not find any way to unscrew it. I really do not want to cut the ties, as it may left the hose dangling after replacement and may causes hose failure as it sits very close to the rear differential box. Thank you smooch for your help.

Regards
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
yf,
I have not pulled my fuel pump, (dreading that day), so I donít have good answers for you on that operation.

I do know the hose clamps are special Mercedes clamps that require special pliers...like you have room for pliers up there!
Most DIY types get a high quality screw type hose clamp, with a smooth inside surface, and make life simple. The old ones get cut or pried off...donít plan to save them.

The other plastic zip tie Ďstrapí for the fuel line may be a speed nut. Meaning it just pushes on, but needs to be pried off. Which may damage it. Again, I have not had to do this, and am not looking at it, so I most likely am wrong. If you send a picture I could improve my luck.

Keep asking questions. Maybe Rudeney can chime in. Search to see if anyone else has done this. And donít forget to look on eBay for removed parts that might provide the answer.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
kbo999.

Finally finished with replacing the pump and filter on this thing. My gosh! It was a tough job. Even tougher when it was being done on a set of ramps. 🙂. Thanks for the info you shared.
kbob999 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf2220000 View Post
kbo999.

Finally finished with replacing the pump and filter on this thing. My gosh! It was a tough job. Even tougher when it was being done on a set of ramps. 🙂. Thanks for the info you shared.
I'm in the process of this right now. How did you end up getting that zip tie holding the fuel line from the pump to filter off?

I'll take any other tips you might have also. They sure don't give us much room to work on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=skylolow;17609532][quote=yf2220000;17530253

I'm in the process of this right now. How did you end up getting that zip tie holding the fuel line from the pump to filter off?

I'll take any other tips you might have also. They sure don't give us much room to work on it.[/QUOTE]

Hi. I ended up using two small zip ties. One, I wrapped around the existing plastic post. The other, I poked through the first one, then cinched it just loose enough around the fuel line. Then i left the second zip tie (one that’s around the fuel line) long. I didn’t cut it. This is just in any case I may need to remove it later. I wish you best of luck
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I also did have to use a conjunction of swivel 1/4 ratchet adapter and a flexible extension to get to those nuts closest to the rear diff frame to release the fuel pump’s bracket. Those were a pain in the azz.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf2220000 View Post
I also did have to use a conjunction of swivel 1/4 ratchet adapter and a flexible extension to get to those nuts closest to the rear diff frame to release the fuel pumpís bracket. Those were a pain in the azz.
Yeah that is what I used also. Wasn't to bad but not the easiest either.

Your zip tie method I just may use.

Thanks for the input. Just waiting on parts now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in