My canadrum with SBC - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
When you get these codes in SDS, you can click on them and get diagnostic procedures. C26BB says to check the line between the SBC controller and the reservoir for a blockage. C26DE says to check the reservoir for leaks. If all that checks out, both codes indicate replacement of the SBC control module.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 2005 SL500 black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How many cycles?

@kbob999
Have you checked how many cycles unit has and how much time it went through as I did in earlier post?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
When you get these codes in SDS, you can click on them and get diagnostic procedures. C26BB says to check the line between the SBC controller and the reservoir for a blockage. C26DE says to check the reservoir for leaks. If all that checks out, both codes indicate replacement of the SBC control module.
Thanks for the input.
I went thru those procedures and saw the steps. No idea how the line can be blocked, and there are no leaks.
Does this mean the internals have issues, like a bad control board or mechanical valves?

Knowing that MB does not like to fix things, but replace them, I’m hunting for the root cause.
Can I rule out the accumulator or brushes on the motor?

Brain flash...if the accumulator diaphragm fails...would it be perceived as a 'leak' in the reservoir (accumulator)?
I'm tempted to change the reservoir to see if that fixes it. Probably due at 15 years and 94K miles. Won't hurt anything, and I'm due for a brake fluid flush.

I did not check the number of actuations, but I’ll need to next chance I have. Will test drive first.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.

Last edited by kbob999; 03-13-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It does make sense that a broken diaphragm in the accumulator could register as a leak.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Update - took the car for a test drive and cannot get the brake warning to return. I'll go for another longer drive and see if anything pops up. That's the good news.

I found threads where the SBC wiring harness comes loose, and there was a recall that provided a plate bracket (on the W211) to secure it.
My wiring connector at the SBC also has a broken plastic latch, and the top can come loose, so that may be the culprit.
I'm going to see if I can build a bracket to hold it more securely soon.

One thing I really like is the fact that I moved from 6400' elevation to about 200' elevation, and the increased power is amazing.
I was able to spin the tires by stomping on it at about 40 mph. Really fun test rides with my brother.

Will update everyone if I ever find an SBC issue down the road, and the number of actuations I find. Can't wait for spring!

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in