Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bayhas Send a message via Yahoo to bayhas
(Thread Starter)
SL55 RENNtech airbox review - GET ONE NOW!

As some here may know, I ve been installing many mod on my SL55, with safe and reliable 600HP at the crank being the end goal

With the long list of mods I have added in the last few weeks, the RENNtech air box is the one worthy of review, even for those not looking for improving power, but this box is a MUST for any and all SL55

You know the jerk the SL55 does when you're gradually modulating the throttle, and you go from vacuum to boost? The RENNtech box will cure it!

I was very curious about the reason, as this effect is not advertised anywhere, turns out the stock air boxes and tubing are surprisingly restrictive, and vortexes in them are severely disturbed at the moment when the bypass valve closes, to allow boost to build, the supercharger essentially runs out of air to suck in, and the engine surges.

Other side affects are the engine runs smoothly over the entire rev band, as its allowed to breath freely, the power gain is noticeable, but the smoothness is what really drives pleasure into your heart...

I am very happy with the car's overall performance with all mods (check my garage for details), but this box is certainly the best bang for bucks out of the whole list, I know most people will question spending 1500 on an air filter box, but trust me, its really worth it to contact RENNtech and get one. Iegor Ratunda helped me with my box, so he should be able to hook you up, while its fresh on his mind.

Garage:

Mercedes-Benz, W140 S Class S320 (AKA 300SE)

Mercedes-Benz, R230 SL Class SL55 (///AMG)

Mercedes-Benz, X166 GL CLass GL63 (///AMG)

Ducati 999 with Termignoni and CF

Former Mercs:
W164 GL class GL450 (sold) - R129 SL Class SL500 (passed on) - W163 M Class ML430 Designo (passed on) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W140 S Class S320(sold) - W140 S Class S500(sold) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W201 190E 2.3(sold)

Last edited by bayhas; 04-13-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
hi Bayhas been a while finally got my password figured out lol what mods u have right now ? im doing some upgrades as well thought we could share knowledge to get these 55's to best setups and most safe HP without blowing motor !
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADRIAN126sec View Post
hi Bayhas been a while finally got my password figured out lol what mods u have right now ? im doing some upgrades as well thought we could share knowledge to get these 55's to best setups and most safe HP without blowing motor !
I have not blown my engine, so I obviously cannot tell you for sure where safe end, and unsafe starts, but none the less, here is a full list of current mods.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/gara...vehicle_id=689

I will take some decent detailed photos next week.

Garage:

Former Mercs:
W164 GL class GL450 (sold) - R129 SL Class SL500 (passed on) - W163 M Class ML430 Designo (passed on) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W140 S Class S320(sold) - W140 S Class S500(sold) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W201 190E 2.3(sold)

Last edited by bayhas; 04-19-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
Well would like to share some mods too and btw your link doesn't work it puts me back to main page that's all also I'm looking for mufflers of SL63 do u know anybody who might have some ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Well would like to share some mods too and btw your link doesn't work it puts me back to main page that's all also I'm looking for mufflers of SL63 do u know anybody who might have some ?
I dont think SL63 mufflers yield any measurable performance, as the exhaust is most restrictive at the headers, They are not cheap either, so bang for bucks is minimal

Your best bet is to search at junkyards.

You can visit my garage under my profile, if the link does not work

Garage:

Former Mercs:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhas View Post
Quote:
I dont think SL63 mufflers yield any measurable performance, as the exhaust is most restrictive at the headers, They are not cheap either, so bang for bucks is minimal

Your best bet is to search at junkyards.

You can visit my garage under my profile, if the link does not work
Actually I have long tube headers and getting 3" exhaust and. Need mufflers for back pressure only and the reason why 63 instead 55 because 63 are 50% lighter than 55 that's all I hope it make sense
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: SL55 AMG [2006] - Stage 2 630bhp
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possible same issue

I just come across this post when doing some searching online regarding SL55 air intake / cooling issues. I have done many upgrades to my 55 and am now at stage 2 and pushing just under 630 bhp and roughly 660 ft/pounds of torque. The car is very quick and sometimes undriveable over here in the UK!!

I have that jerk / stuttering issue you mentioned and I see that you installed the RENNtech air box which cured it. I'm not into gaining any more power, I just want a smooth and driveable car to enjoy. Is the improvement still there?

I can't find anyone else over here who has noticed the same issue, some have had similar issues which were cured by remapping and a TCU upgrade so it's been hard to pinpoint the exact cause. However, I had DMS Automotive spend time on the car, trying different mappings, running diagnostics, checking fuelling, electrics, lambda readings and multiple dyno runs. We managed to get it to drive a bit better but the issue is not cured. There were a couple of things recommended to try, one being the Change Over solenoid and the other is reducing the size of the crank pulley down from 180mm to 175mm to make the car drive better at lower revs. The engineer did feel that the car was more or less on permanent boost all the time

I tried the Change Over part and it hasnít made a difference. Before I look at changing the pulley I was wondering if you or anyone else here recommends upgrading the air boxes / intake either to RENNtech or similar? It would be great to come to a resolution on this as itís starting to get on my nerves and I want to enjoy the beast! When the issue occurs it does feel like the engine is being restricted somewhere and somehow

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated

Cheers,

T

P.S. Would this site be a good place to sell the Weistech crank pulley if I needed to? Itís hardly done any miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in