BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
P0505 and P0455 codes...Solved!

Car: 2003 SL55 with 89K miles. Me: Above average wrenching skills.

Issue #1 : P0505 Idle Air Control keeps popping up. Rough idle when warm, but not all the time, only when it idles for about 2 minutes, and occurs infrequently.
What I've done: replaced rocker cover vent hoses; replaced throttle body (used) and TB gasket (new) and reset TB; replaced throttle pedal (used); shot some brake cleaner to find vacuum leaks around the intake and got nothing. Is this a vacuum leak possibly in the manifold somewhere? Could it be related to issue #2 ?

Issue #2 : P0455 Evap System Large Leak - intermittent fault shows up maybe 1/3 of the time I've driven - may be related to Issue #1 .
What I've done: replaced gas cap, purge valve, charcoal canister, and even the fuel tank level sensor and gasket with used parts...all without luck. Checked evap lines for visual issues and added new clamps where removed. Nothing found. Do I need to get a smoke test to find this leak? Any DIY I have not done so far? The used parts may still be the issue, but I'm betting they are not the problem.

Solution: I knew these issues had to be related. And they were.
I found there was no vacuum being applied to the purge valve which meant there had to be a vacuum leak to the supercharger. I chased the line and found where it goes into the supercharger, and sure enough the little pipe was loose.
I had to remove the intake on the left-hand side to plug it back in. It is impossible to see and fix without doing this.
Hope this helps anybody else who has this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1647545  
alas, cadbob and Noir230 like this.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.

Last edited by kbob999; 10-17-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Solved!
cadbob likes this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SL55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Possibly a wider shot of the engine?

@kbob999 ,

You may have just saved me from ripping my hair out. I've got a 2005 SL55 with the same issues, and I'm hoping it's the same problem.

Unlike you, I _don't_ have "above average wrenching skills", so I'm wondering if you could help me by taking a wider shot photo of where the issue is. Perhaps I can verify this is the issue (and whether I can fix it myself) before taking it to the dealer and paying for the labor to investigate!

Thanks!
Riz

2005 SL55 AMG

Last edited by rizwansattar; 02-22-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 2008 SL550
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is that vacuum pipe just held on with friction? If so did you apply any type of sealant/loctite to the connection?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Riz,
This is the drivers side of the engine (left when sitting in car) at the rear of the intake manifold (toward rear of engine).
Near the brake fluid reservoir if that helps. I'll see if I have another picture.
You can do this! I would rate this a 2 for difficulty on a scale of 10. About as hard as changing the oil, but faster.

Pull the front top cover to the engine. Remove the right & left plastic intake air ducts; unclip the air duct to the butterfly at the rear of the air cleaners; remove the air cleaners as a unit.
unbolt the 10 Torx bolts on top of the left intake channel; lift off the channel. Remove the gasket sitting underneath.
If you drop anything down the intake, you are a dead man, OK. Drop nothing in there.
You should see the loose pipe just like the picture above. Slide it back in the hole.
No sealant, just interference fit.

Note-if you messed around with the pipe to the purge valve, you likely dislodged this pipe from the intake.

Put it all back together the opposite way. It should be all good now. Clear the errors, go for a drive like normal. Celebrate your victory.
If not fixed, one of the half dozen other things I mentioned could be wrong, but this is easy and free and a likely failure.http://mbworld.org/forums/attachment...7-14.49.41.jpg
Noir230 likes this.

Last edited by kbob999; 02-22-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add pic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2016
Vehicle: 1992 400E, 1997 SL500, 2007 SL55 AMG, 2016 E400
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you.

I just spent Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday replacing my valve cover gaskets and was chasing the dreaded P0507 code late into the night. This morning I happened upon your article and, after work, I found the tube looking just like that in your photo and now my car is well again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in