post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 04' SL 500 Roadster / 86' Ferrari 328 / 87' Porsche 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2004 SL500 Problem starting

After weeks of starting the engine and running good I drive 20 miles and stop for gas. When I try to start the engine it sounds like a dead battery but it isn't. The voltage is 12.49. But a Jump start is all it needs. I drive over 200 miles shut off engine then try to start it and same thing. New starter, crank position sensor, everything is clean and tight after the last time this happen.

Is there a relay between the ignition switch and the starter relay that I can not find? I see there is a K57 relay but I am not sure that is the problem. Can anyone provide a readable schematic of the starting system that shows all components?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
To answer my own question.... yes there is a relay.

002 542 23 19 relay "L" right side engine compartment. I removed it and opened it. Then lightly, very lightly filed the contact points. It acted as if it started very quickly.

The problem is heat related. It just happen again @100 C (I think it is 100 I have trouble reading the gauge). I let it cool off below 95C and it started.

Last edited by lonnie77; 11-28-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 SL55
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
when you say new starter - do you mean you have a new starter battery as well as a new cps?.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No. I have a new starter motor. I am not sure how old the starter battery is. The battery holds a charge above 12.3V and I did add water to it a month ago.
Does any know the average life of the starter battery? The car will start every time when it is cold or warm. Some times when it is hot it will start and when it did not start I checked both batteries separate. The Star shows 14.4V charging. Anytime I have the problem the Star will show the crank shaft position sensor and I replaced it. It still shows it as a problem but I think it is because the motor is moving slow.
It only happens when the motor is hot. I can stop to get gas and it will normally start but last Thursday it did not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 SL55
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
hmm cps fault should go if you put in a new one.........why did you put in a new starter motor?

however re starter battery - had similar hot start issues with mine - a new starter battery fixed it (a year or so later the cps failed too)

the battery will have a code on it where you can find the manufacture date mine is a sticker on the side of the battery should be week/year (eg mine is 26/12).......as for how long it lasts id say around 4-5ish years.......

Last edited by theintelligent1; 11-29-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: battery date info added
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I looked again and the battery did not have a code. I replaced the starter battery and it seem to correct the problem. The difference I noticed is how long it takes for the engine to start after releasing the key. Before 3 to 4 seconds now the engine starts in 1 to 2 seconds.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2003 SL500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having the same problem with my 2003 Sl500. I can drive to work and at five o'clock it starts just fine. But the other day i drove to the store about 20 mins away, spent about ten minutes in the store and the car would not start. After it sat for awhile, it started just fine. Do i need a new battery or a new starter motor? Did you install the battery yourself or do you have to buy it at the dealer?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I bought the battery from the dealer and installed it myself. That sounds like the same thing my car was doing. If you count the seconds from the time you turn the key and that it takes before the enginge starts it might help you decide if you need a battery. But I can not tell you what you need. My battery showed 12V but it did not have the current to start the engine. I will not suggest using the rear battery to jump start the front battery like I did several times because it could do harm to the electronics. But if you are stranded....
If the rear battery has had problems holding a charge then you may need to replace both. But that is just a guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in