LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy ABC High Pressure Line

I bought a used 2003 SL500 12/09 with 44K Miles 12/09. I've driven it about 700 miles since. I was driving the car last weekend, and the red take to workshop light came on with the ABC indicator as well as over a gallon of hydraulic fluid all over the ground. I immediately took it to the dealer where I bought the car. Tuesday they diagnosed it as a ruptured high pressure ABC line and indicated the repair would be $3400 to replace the line so they could then test the pump which would probably be damaged as well to the tune of another $2700. The service advisor indicated that replacing the line was all labor since they had to drop the motor away from the frame to get to the line to remove/replace. Has anyone had this done? I think I'm being "used" by the service dept. Anybody know what replacing the line should cost? Help! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
RDL
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2005 SL600; 2007 ML500
I'm not sure this is going to help you, but I had the same line replaced, because of a leak, and they told me it took 15 hours of labor because of the placement of the line. It was all done under warranty, so I can't tell you the cost, but evidently it is a very labor intensive job.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks RDL. If I take my labor only cost and figure out the hours, I come up with about 26 hours of labor. Seems exhorbitantly expensive to me. I should have gotten the warranty. This one repair alone will clearly exceed the cost of the manufacturer's warranty for 2 years. Stupid me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: SL55 C350 & ML320
Things like this are my fear of buying one of these vehicles. They are so over priced to repair.

Have you tried calling any independent Mercedes shops in your area or know someone that can recommend a place.

There is also a list on either this website or others that have recommended repair shops.

Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seidl777 View Post
I bought a used 2003 SL500 12/09 with 44K Miles 12/09. I've driven it about 700 miles since. I was driving the car last weekend, and the red take to workshop light came on with the ABC indicator as well as over a gallon of hydraulic fluid all over the ground. I immediately took it to the dealer where I bought the car. Tuesday they diagnosed it as a ruptured high pressure ABC line and indicated the repair would be $3400 to replace the line so they could then test the pump which would probably be damaged as well to the tune of another $2700. The service advisor indicated that replacing the line was all labor since they had to drop the motor away from the frame to get to the line to remove/replace. Has anyone had this done? I think I'm being "used" by the service dept. Anybody know what replacing the line should cost? Help! Thanks.
I've had the ABC hi-pressure hose replaced on my car under 'Recall' and was told before bringing it in that it would take one hr.

While I was there I had them inspect the other ABC lines and was told one was 'slightly damp' around the fitting. I asked how much to replace as a preventative, they said approx. $1000 due to the placement of the hose and having to work around the tranny tunnel.
The labour was for more time than the recall hose re/re.

You must realise however, that you because you lost all the ABC fluid, you will need a complete ABC fluid fill (10 litres) and RODEO done and this will cost more money too, but what you are being told seems exorbitant to me as well.

My dealer parts mgr and tech are completely trustworthy imo.

I hope this helps.

"One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits - You Feel No Pain"
Bob Marley

Last edited by ifari; 04-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks ifari. I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the dealer, service advisor or any of the staff at this point. I will of course be looking for a detailed breakdown of the labor, parts, fluids, filters, fittings, etc on the bill. Unfortunately this is my first goat rodeo with the dealer as this is my first MB car, so I really have nothing to compare it against. I will take the bill and start shopping other quality MB repair shops if I can't get some type of extended warranty. Good pointer.

When I bought the car the dealer offered a warranty, I stupidly declined not fully understanding the type of repairs and expense associated with them. I blame the dealer for not informing me or pressing me more on this topic. This is my weekend car for fun and I thought with 44K miles, what could break if I only drove 2 - 5K miles on the car a year and sold it in 2 years and upgraded to a new model. Little did I know MB cars of this ilk have more than just ABC issues that are not of question of if they are going to need repaired, but when. This forum has been an invaluable tool for me to better understand the challenges associated not only with this model, but MB in general.

I'm more than a little disturbed that what I once considered one of the top quality brand of upscale precision motor vehicles has as many problems as they do. Maybe it's time for MB to go back to basics and design things to last.

Very frustrated
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: '02 CL500
Quote:
The high pressure hose is a recall item. Call MBUSA at 1800-for-merc to see if your car is involved.

'02 CL500
'91 Lincoln Mark VII
'76 Vette
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
+1 calling to see if your car is covered under the campaign.

If they are un-cooperative shoot me your VIN and I'll find out for you

Jonathan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer Coupe 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks ifari. I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the dealer, service advisor or any of the staff at this point. I will of course be looking for a detailed breakdown of the labor, parts, fluids, filters, fittings, etc on the bill. Unfortunately this is my first goat rodeo with the dealer as this is my first MB car, so I really have nothing to compare it against. I will take the bill and start shopping other quality MB repair shops if I can't get some type of extended warranty. Good pointer.

When I bought the car the dealer offered a warranty, I stupidly declined not fully understanding the type of repairs and expense associated with them. I blame the dealer for not informing me or pressing me more on this topic. This is my weekend car for fun and I thought with 44K miles, what could break if I only drove 2 - 5K miles on the car a year and sold it in 2 years and upgraded to a new model. Little did I know MB cars of this ilk have more than just ABC issues that are not of question of if they are going to need repaired, but when. This forum has been an invaluable tool for me to better understand the challenges associated not only with this model, but MB in general.

I'm more than a little disturbed that what I once considered one of the top quality brand of upscale precision motor vehicles has as many problems as they do. Maybe it's time for MB to go back to basics and design things to last.

Very frustrated
I understand.
To be fair though, I'm not entirely certain about my recollection, if the price I mentioned included labour or was just the part cost of the ABC line I enquired about.
Go ahead and do as you mentioned as far as getting a detailed estimate and let us know how things work out for you.

Best wishes and remember, you have got one of the absolute BEST and BEAUTIFUL cars ever made, but sometimes we've got to pay the cost, to be the Boss.

P.S. My earlier post should have stated that my ABC hi-pressure hose was replaced under RECALL and not warranty....my bad.

"One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits - You Feel No Pain"
Bob Marley

Last edited by ifari; 04-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: SL55
Might want to ask Oxygen about a reasonable price:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...placement.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in