Wurring sounds - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2012 SLK 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skapatos Send a message via MSN to skapatos Send a message via Yahoo to skapatos
(Thread Starter)
Wurring sounds

Just purchased a 2012 SLK 250. experiencing wurring sound while in motion that becomes a bit louder during breaking. Just sold my 2003 SLK which had the same issue. Any advise would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Too Many to List
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Does the noise seem to come from outside the cabin, or from under the dash? Sometimes sticky caliper pistons can cause the pad to lightly brush the rotor creating noise, or a tiny pebble or other bit of debris can get caught between the pad and the rotor causing noise.

You say it only happens while in motion? If it also happens while the engine is running but the vehicle is stationary, check the brake booster area from both the engine compartment and under the dash. A section of tubing held to the ear can often help pinpoint the source of the sound.

Visit the AutohausAZ Vendor Section for special pricing for Benzworld members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to skapatos Send a message via MSN to skapatos Send a message via Yahoo to skapatos
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick response guys.

It happens only when in motion and definately comes from the front end of the vehicle. The noise increases when braking. If it were sticky caliper pistons how would I unstick them. I could eliminate that from the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Could it be front tires. They're new continental tires all around
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Could you describe the ruckus? (Breakfast Club)
When I bought my car the front end had a bit of a "growling" sound. My first instinct was the bearings. Eventually it was figured out the front tires were the culprit. The tread shape and misaligned front end caused a growling sound and slightly rough feeling in the steering wheel, mostly noticable at very low speeds. After the alignment was corrected, the growl was less, but still present. A year later the growl is still there. The length of time passing is important as the tires have been driven on long enough to allow them to "wear into" the correct alignment.
When I replaced the rear tires I went with a completely different tread pattern than stock... and the rear end became noticably quieter and smoother. My front tires are due to be replaced day after tomorrow with similar to what's on the rears. I'll chime in within the results. I'm expecting the growl to finally be gone.
This procedure may help you figure out what's causing the noise:
1. Set the tire pressures to the correct levels. Make sure the front pair are equal to each other. Same for the rears.
2. On a concrete parking lot (needs to be clean and without gravel), drive slowly in a tight circle (steering wheel at full lock). Go around at least three times and vary the speed a little between each. Listen\feel what the suspension is doing. Repeat with the steering turned to lock in the opposite direction.
3. Repeat the circles, but going in reverse this time.
4. On the same parking lot, drive slowly in a straight line forward (vary your speed between passes). Again, listen and feel.
5. Repeat going in reverse.
Listen with all the windows up and again with them down. Best to be in a very quiet location. May help to have a second person watching and listening while sitting in the back seat or standing outside the vehicle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I would check the front wheel bearings. Jack the front of the car up and see how much movement you have in the wheels. If you hold the tire at the 12 o clock and 4 o clock positions and move it in and out, you should not have much movement.

Mike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wheel bearings were my first assumption. Checked them and they're fine. No mvmt.
Thanks Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi George!

Did the new tires upfront eliminate the noise??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapatos View Post
Hi George!

Did the new tires upfront eliminate the noise??
I'm so glad you asked. I was having trouble finding this thread again to post an update.
YES! New front tires made ALL the difference!
No more noise or vibrations. I'm SO glad I didn't wait any longer to get these tires. Apparently the rubber getting hard and the shape of the tread pucks was the culprit.
As in the rear, I selected a tire with a slightly taller sidewall than stock and literally have only a few millimeters of clearance in some places. The tires are about 0.8 inch (20 mm) taller overall.
Front: Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/50 R18 ($230)
Rear: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 265/45 R18 ($256)
I hadn't planned on different tire models between front and rear, but to get the size just right, I had to.
The steering does feel slightly less tight by going to a taller sidewall, but I've found it still corners just as well when pushing it. If you're wanting a smooth and quiet ride, these tires are great!
After getting them installed I did the circle test in a parking lot as described earlier in this thread. With the wheel turned all the way to lock, the right tire sightly rubs the plastic liner in one direction. I'm going to see if I can get an extra few mm of clearance by adjusting the liner mounting fasteners.

While these photos may look a little scary, I've driven the car on several 30+ minute freeway and back street commutes without any perceived tire rubbing.
Raising the air suspension does provide more space between the fender liner, but not between the steering knuckle or upper ball joint.
(Yes, I'm aware my left front air strut is missing it's protective cover, and already have a replacement for it. ;-) Just gotta get motivated to pull it apart...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R172 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in