post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 2005 R171 SLK200 & 2014 R172 SLK200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SRS Malfunction & Non-Starter

My car was bought with Drivers (right) Airbag & Pre-Tensioner deployed, passenger side (left) seemed fine. I have replaced the Drivers Airbag & Pre-Tensioner and had the SRS Module cleared of the crash data.

Re-installed everything and I still have a SRS Malfunction warning, had someone plug in and clear all the faults, re-scanned the system and 1 fault still existed, which was that the Left Retractor was faulty.

So my questions are what exactly is the Left Retractor? Seatbelt Reel or Pre-Tensioner/Stalk or something else? I have both items coming to me on a sale or return basis, so at least I can try known good ones, but would be useful to know exactly what MB mean by retractor?

The car won't start, just a click from the starter motor area and the engine won't even turn over. I initially thought this was down to the SRS Warning but after some late night Googling it seems the most likely cause is a blown Pyro Fuse, described in the Mercedes Parts List as 'FUSE BOX DIRECT START FRONT PREFUSE BOX, FRONT BATTERY F32' it lists 2 parts A 172 540 11 50 or A 172 540 09 50.

MB have the part on back order with no ETA on when they will arrive, so I'd like to test the one in the car to see if Ok or not. Anyone experienced this issue before, is there a simple test to see if it's functioning OK?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
retractor is the belt itself.

the fuse it the prefuse is prob blowed. you can remove the pre-fuse holder and replace that individual fuse. MB does not show the fuses individually, but I have bought them before at Radio shack. I know radio shack is no longer around, but I would bet you could get some off the net or your local electronics store.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I've swapped out belt, the SRS error and airbag light remain, do I need to get the error cleared again with a diagnostic plug-in or should the system reset itself when the faulty item is replaced?

I took out the under bonnet Pre Fuse Box and opened it up (see below). I checked for continuity across all the fuses and all tested OK. Is the MB Pyro Fuse elsewhere?

I got under the car today, regardless of the key position there is no power on the main feed down to the solenoid, so the clicking is just the solenoid relay, but as there's no power there the car isn't trying to turn over.

Where should I go from here?

Many thanks
D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have discovered why there was no power down to the starter solenoid, there is a cut-off device in the battery for the lead that feeds the starter. As you can see from the image below it has been triggered.

I have managed to reset this to reinstate the power, but I get the distinct feeling that you're not supposed to, it didn't fix the problem anyhow. Should it be OK or does it need replacing?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
the thing on the battery is the pyro fuse. it should be replaced. but on other cars (non MB) I have pushed them back together enough to crank car so I can move it.

the srs has to be reset using a scanner, it will not reset itself.

I forgot that that guy. they used to put the pyro fuse in that pre-fuse panel you took apart. I dont have access to all MB wiring at home, so it was a guess.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.

I did manage to push it back together to get power back down to the starter, but still just the click when trying to crank. I have bought a MB Star Diagnostic system with dealer level access so I can reset the SRS Light and see what other errors there are.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren G View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I did manage to push it back together to get power back down to the starter, but still just the click when trying to crank. I have bought a MB Star Diagnostic system with dealer level access so I can reset the SRS Light and see what other errors there are.
You bought the Star system with dealer access? Must have cost some money. That's commitment!

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."
From the Declaration of Independence.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiotro View Post
You bought the Star system with dealer access? Must have cost some money. That's commitment!
Yes and no......

Refurbished units not running the very latest version, though are updated to include the latest vehicles, aren't silly money. When you consider what a plug-in costs at a dealer and the fact my car doesn't move, the convenience of having the diagnostic equipment to use at will is pretty invaluable.

There is even a workaround to program keys, so given the the car only came with one, that'll save me close to the GB£300.00 the dealers charge and that's well over 50% of what I paid for the whole thing.

Then at the end I could sell it to get at least most of my outlay back, or keep it and even earn a little back by offering to other local MB owners by providing low cost plug-ins.

The only concern is my ability to operate it...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Even though I had popped the old pyro-fuse back together the system must know it's been activated and stop the car starting. I fitted a new battery to starter cable today and the car started straight up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren G View Post
Even though I had popped the old pyro-fuse back together the system must know it's been activated and stop the car starting. I fitted a new battery to starter cable today and the car started straight up.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
So in all what did you replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R172 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in