LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Roof change

We just received our new SLK 350. We did not order the panoramic or majic roof and expected a metal roof like our '98. When it came in it had a panoramic glass roof with a solid headliner. When we questioned the dealer we were told that Mercedes made a mid-year change and there are no more metal roofs. The said we didn't have to take the car but after waiting four months and having just sold our old SLK my wife decided to take it.

I called customer support and after a a few more calls was told there's nothing they can do.

I think the black roof doesn't look as good as the metal one, especially since you can see through the lighter rectangle and see the top of the headliner. I also think the black glass roof with the mini greenhouse is not going to work as well as a silver metal one in the Texas summers.

The reason for this post is to warn others and to see if anyone has had and/or solved this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: '13 Lexus RX450h & On-order '14 SLK250
Lifetime Premium Member
Interesting change. Thanks for the post! Even though I decided to flip the bills for the magic sky control, now I know why the configurator kept forcing one of the two pano roofs. Strange MBZ has not at least updated their online marketing materials since that should be so easy to do.

Present: '14 SLK250 (R172), '13 Lexus RX450h
Past: '06 Lexus RX400h; '09 BMW 335i (E93), '02 Lexus SC430, '99 RX300, '95 SC300, '91 Acura Legend ...and a few before that
Visit my personal website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Sith Lord

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Roof change

You'll get to appreciate the panoramic roof. If your car silver, black will contrast well with it.
Mine has been tinted to avoid greenhouse effect. I work in Saudi Arabia, and so far I've been cool enough under the torrid sun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: SLK 230 Kompressor Automatic, First registered Year 2001 , Colour Silver
Is this roof change just for the USA market or worldwide? A photograph Texasrick would be great as I cannot find anything in any of the merc publicity material .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2013
(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I haven't been online for a while. I'm out of town and will post pictures this weekend.

As for black looking good with silver, I could almost live with that (since silver's not an option), except for the fact that there's a big clear rectangle on the roof where you can look in and see the top of the headliner.

I'd almost accept it if they put the panaramic headliner in it so at least there's a reason for the clear rectangle, but since there's no cover for it I'd have to tape some cardboard over it on sunny days.

I'm real dissapointed with Mercedes for having such a stupid design. I could see it it was Kia and they wanted to save money by having the same roof with optional headliners but I never expected this from Mercedes.

I'm still working with Mercedes and got a call from a general manager. He said they'd look for a metal top one, but I haven't heard back in 10 days. I doubt they'll find one since the stopped making them in Nov.

Am I the only one that has a problem with this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: '13 Lexus RX450h & On-order '14 SLK250
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrick1 View Post
...Am I the only one that has a problem with this?
No, unfortunately you're not. There are a couple threads on this same subject over on SLKWorld, with at least a couple people that ordered standard roofs and have recently taken delivery or within a few days of it -- one not happy at all with the change, or at least really worried if he'll be OK with it or not. Most people are like you and don't like the unannounced change MBZ has made especially midstream in a single model year. I've only seen one reference thus far of a guy that is going to look into removing the headliner -- I guess so he gets a "free" pano roof -- no idea how that will turn out.

Present: '14 SLK250 (R172), '13 Lexus RX450h
Past: '06 Lexus RX400h; '09 BMW 335i (E93), '02 Lexus SC430, '99 RX300, '95 SC300, '91 Acura Legend ...and a few before that
Visit my personal website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: SLK 250 CDI AMG SPORT
Pick our Polar White SLK 250CDI on Friday and the dealership are fitting the panoramic interior roof lining for 259. This will be the second one they have done.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2012 350SLK
mine is a black car with the roof being black, I don't mind it. Actually like it from the inside. but for those that don't, has anyone ever considered a vinyl wrap? just wondering if that would work?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Just spray paint it the same colour as the vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R172 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in