People who saw the new SLK in person, what do you think of it? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 06' CLK500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
People who saw the new SLK in person, what do you think of it?

I saw it at NY auto show. Looks exactly like in pictures (like all MB do). Very confusing styling, I didn't like it one bit. Very bland. It just... is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2010 GL350CDI Luxury
I have never been an SLK fan before... Until now!

It looks great and the interior is sensational.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2007 SLK 280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very contrived. Attempts to pull the SLK/SLS/SL styling into one package just makes it look like one from barrel one, one from barrel two, etc. Nose treatment seems too bulky and out of place. I'm happy to stay with my 171.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2010
Is it still consider a girly car?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yup
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I liked it much more than the R171. The base models look a lot sportier and, well, less base looking. Interior is a huge improvement in design and quality as well.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I actually like it a lot. It's probably be the most attractive SLK ever produced, in my opinion. I think it does a good job of moving away from the "girly" car image, but that's just my .02.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE
'51 Euro 170S
'15 G63 AMG
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8
'96 Ford F350 7.3 PSD

~Josh
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
How about the all-new SL 500 coming later this year.

I read a review here: Mercedes-Benz SL hard top convertible first drive review

I was amused to read this about the high-tech windshield wipers designed for the car.

"It wasn't long before the next gadget caught my attention. Another world first, the SL has 160 water washer nozzles mounted in the windscreen wipers: 80 per blade. They work with such precision, it means you can clean the windscreen while the roof is down and not get covered in overspray".

Just what you all needed?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2011 E550 Cabriolet, Diamond White, Black top and interior, many options
Girly car? Lol thats a funny one. I hope I DO see single women driving one!!! That way I can hook up with her knowing she is probably professional, with class, likely well-educated, and has her own bucks rather than eating up mine! lol. So those guys who are worried they are driving a girly car (which to me, a confident male shouldn't be even thinking of things like that) should go by themself a Dodge Ram Truck - and get over the girly thing. Did you know in the 80s, the Corvette was used by some Lesbian organization to say that is their car of choice? Thats true! My gay sister told me that years ago. Love my lesbian friends, and they all laugh at those stupid claims.

Want a girl car? Check out a Smart car, cheap mass-produced Miata, or a subaru.

I have a new SLK350. Not a rattle. Pickup and speed. Perfect. The dash and cockpit is perfectlly designed. I'm 5'10 160, and my body melts into that cabin. Compliments from everyone, mostly younger guys, probably envious wishing they could have a classy 2-seater roadster instead of a cheap typical sports car - camaro, mustang, etc. Or their Buick Skylark.

Every single professional evaluation and analysis of the2012 350 - from Road and Track, Edmunds, Car and Driver, you name it, had so much positive to say about the style, design, qualility, handling, and engineering. That helped me make my decision, and damn do I feel lucky.

Everyone has their own opinion. Im sure those with the 170K Mercedes think the 350 is a joke. I would too if that were the case. And some folks that can't afford a 350 would take every opporunity to slam it. Everyone has their opinions. I go with the professionals who evaluate these cars - and since I now own one, I know for sure they are spot-on.

Just my opinion......
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1981 View Post

... Everyone has their own opinion. Im sure those with the 170K Mercedes think the 350 is a joke. I would too if that were the case. And some folks that can't afford a 350 would take every opporunity to slam it. Everyone has their opinions. I go with the professionals who evaluate these cars - and since I now own one, I know for sure they are spot-on.

Just my opinion......
I had an R170 for five years. Loved that car. The styling was classic and timeless. There were many times that I would go into the garage and stop a moment to just look at it. A lot of fun to drive. It went to a good home yesterday. I will miss it.

Having said that, There is no comparison in terms of performance, handling, engineering, comfort and convenience. The technology has sure changed in 14 years. All I can say is WOW! I even am warming up to the styling. That aggressive look to the front end may be a little much but it is eye popping. I never could warm up to the R171. Glad I waited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R172 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in