post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: vintage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shameful tyres.

I've been meaning to change my rear tyres for a while, and finally got around to it today.

Holy MOJ, they were in a state when I had a chance to inspect them properly off the car.

It's fairly well observed that the inherent suspension/alignment set up on 171s can lead to uneven wear on the fronts - the inner edge suffering badly, but this was the case on my rears too.

After around 18 months and 9k miles on Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (255/35/18) not only was the inner 25% down past the markers, but there were huge chunks of compound missing, and splits across many areas of the tread. Also, the walls seemed to have developed weakness. Hand on heart, I've tried to baby this set of tyres, but inevitably the torque of the 55 is hard on them despite the ESP kicking-in early.

The car passed MOT inspection in April with no advisories, so I'll assume our hot summer accelerated the wearing.

I still like UR RS3s and never expected them to be high mileage tyres on a 55, but my takeaway advice is to check the inners on both front and rear more carefully than just a quick glance. Beware though - several 171 owners have reported shredding their fingers on exposed steel braiding on fronts...

The car feels much more composed again now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 2008 SLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My SLK was chewing out the inside of the front tyres. I got a 3D four wheel alignment done and the technician found that the rear alignment was way out, so much it was affecting the thrust angle. Basically the rear alignment was so far out and the front was fighting against it to keep the car tracking straight, hence the tyre wear.
Once the rear was aligned within specs, the front then required a toe in adjustment. Front caster angle was perfect, camber was well within spec.
What a difference! Easier to steer, much better doing a full lock turn and the front tyres are now wearing much more evenly.
And all this only cost $95 AUD.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:57 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, SLK350
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yep, my rear tires' inner lines were chewed up to metal mesh.
Something with the geometry of the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2011 SLK300 Plutonium (2002 SLK230 Sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Similar issues with vibration & uneven noisy tire wear. Just had a dealer 4 wheel Alignment to fix issues with camber, toe, etc.... Made a huge difference!
Smackrattle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in