Considering an r171. What to look for? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all. Also newbie and new MB owner (all of 3 weeks) - 280 from 2006 with 46k km. Fell in love in Italy and drove it home! First 1700 km in it were a dream but yesterday the yellow engine lamp came up on the dash. Will it turn into a nightmare or is it likely to be minor with so few km on the clock? Can a newbie easily start to figure out how to use OBD II? Thanks and fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAslk View Post
just recently, a Bluetooth module.
What is a bluetooth module and as thee cars come with bluetooth already why do you need one?

Also, apart from the increased torque and acceleration is there any other reason for having a 350 over a 280? I can't decide what to get. I started off wanting a £1800 R170 for cheap convertible fun but then I found the R171 and fell in love. From there I moved away from the 200 as it was the slowest (though much quicker than my 1.4 Golf) and also because it was the base model and I wanted to feel special.....even though I'd be getting a 10-12 year old car. From there I found myself being won over by the <6s 0-60 of the 350 but I also wonder if I've let my ego get in the way - after all I only need enough grunt to overtake cars and shift quickly at roundabouts and I was also originally ahppy just to have a basic R170.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburton View Post
Hi all. Also newbie and new MB owner (all of 3 weeks) - 280 from 2006 with 46k km. Fell in love in Italy and drove it home! First 1700 km in it were a dream but yesterday the yellow engine lamp came up on the dash. Will it turn into a nightmare or is it likely to be minor with so few km on the clock? Can a newbie easily start to figure out how to use OBD II? Thanks and fingers crossed.
My first concern would be balance shaft issue - this is catastrophic for the car and is extremely expensive to repair. Check the datacard to see if the VIN number is in the affected range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in