post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Roof Rattle Fix

Starting last October the roof on my SLK developed a rattle right over my head whenever I drove on rough roads which are everywhere in DC. It drove me nuts and cheapened the whole SLK experience for me. I took it to the dealer but they only lubed the seals and the rattle returned the next day. I found if I pushed up on the roof the rattle stopped but returned as soon as I let go. I checked every bolt on the roof mechanism that I could get to but none were loose. Finally I decided to try the felt fix mentioned on another forum. While trying to figure out where the felt should go I noticed a bracket that positions the top of the rear glass. I adjusted the bracket down two notches and THAT FIXED THE RATTLE! Life is good once again.
The engine has to be running while you do the adjustment or the roof will not stay in a partially open position.
The first pic shows the location of the bracket in the center of the photo on the driver’s side of the car.
The second pic shows the bracket after I lowered it two notches (note that the adjustment screw is on the back side of the bracket).
The third pic shows the bracket from the front of the car.
The fourth pic shows the bracket from the right side of the car so you can see the position of a bracket that has not been adjusted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLK Rattle 1.jpg (82.0 KB, 7622 views)
File Type: jpg SLK Rattle 2.jpg (54.6 KB, 5565 views)
File Type: jpg SLK Rattle 3.jpg (56.7 KB, 6435 views)
File Type: jpg SLK Rattle 4.jpg (53.6 KB, 6125 views)
JulsM and Humberto Cares like this.

2006 SLK 280, Diamond Silver, Ash, 7G Automatic, Comfort, Lighting, Heating packages, OEM MB Plexiglass Windscreen, Clear Corners, SmartTop Roof Module, 17" AMG Alloys + Pirelli PZero Neros, Green Filters
On Order: 2009 SLK 350, Artic White, Gullwing Red, P1 Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Heating Pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350
SLK280DS - Nice set of pix and description. Will be a nice reference piece for forum members to check when they have a similar issue. Doesn't it make you wonder why the folks at MB didn't know about this fix? I guess their solution for a lot of things is "lube it" and send the customer on their way.

2006 SLK 350. Black/Black; 7-speed AT; Comfort, Heating, Lighting, and Premium packages
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350
Nice of you to post that.

2009 C63 Black/Sahara Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2007 SLK280
I don't have a rattle but rather the more "typical" creaking noise from when the various top components shift when driving over rough roads etc.

It's not horrible but........., I was wondering if anybody had found a way to cure it.

I was thinking of inspecting the various joint faces and seeing if I see any rub marks and maybe using a discreet amount of that thin felt material Lexus dealers use to fix squeeks.

BTW SLK280DS, nice job on the pix and description of your fix.

I can raise the top and stop it "partially open" with the engine off on our SLK280. The only reason I know is I tried it when I wanted to take a picture of the top in that position.

Last edited by danketchpel; 05-02-2007 at 05:33 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 350 AMG
how i fixed my squeek

i have a bunch of felt dots in my car.
Over time.. they crush and dont work as well.

I put mine where the red dot is.

half over the hole and half off.. on the RUBBER mould.
Simple.. but annoying that i need to use felt dots to stop squeaking.. and electrical tape to stop my door from rattling..

Not even on my old nissan 300zx / fairlady did i ever need to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dot.jpg (28.2 KB, 2794 views)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: SLK 350
Smile Felt

After fixing the roof creak with some felt I started getting an annoying rattle from the boot area. I thought the boot lid needed adjustment but the noise wouldn't go away. I finally traced it to the handle mechanism on the boot protector/seperator. I noticed that when the handle was closed it didn't rattle. I opened it up using the two screws and slipped two pieces of large felt into each side. This was the best that I could do as I couldn't open it up fully. Anyway noise stopped immediately and you can't see the felt so I was happy.

I think the car should have been supplied with a roll of felt

If any one has a rattle from the boot I would try a test to see if it is the same problem as mine. Just tie up the handle using string so that it is closed and see if the noise goes away.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Slk 200
I put felt on the varioroof 4 months ago it makes a huge difference... Everyone should try this........
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1989 300 SL (R107)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagey
I think the car should have been supplied with a roll of felt

I agree. I try to make myself believe I'm in an old pirate ship that is creaking and groaning over the ocean.....

A man is just a boy with bigger toys.
Middle age is that perplexing time of life when one has to choose between "why not?" and "why bother?"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2007 SLK280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond007
I agree. I try to make myself believe I'm in an old pirate ship that is creaking and groaning over the ocean.....
LOL

That's the most innovative solution I've heard yet!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel
I don't have a rattle but rather the more "typical" creaking noise from when the various top components shift when driving over rough roads etc.

It's not horrible but........., I was wondering if anybody had found a way to cure it.

I was thinking of inspecting the various joint faces and seeing if I see any rub marks and maybe using a discreet amount of that thin felt material Lexus dealers use to fix squeeks.

BTW SLK280DS, nice job on the pix and description of your fix.

I can raise the top and stop it "partially open" with the engine off on our SLK280. The only reason I know is I tried it when I wanted to take a picture of the top in that position.
When my roof creaks, then the lube thing works for several months to stop it. I'm surprised that your top stays partially open with the engine off. Mine will close by itself after a minute or two.

2006 SLK 280, Diamond Silver, Ash, 7G Automatic, Comfort, Lighting, Heating packages, OEM MB Plexiglass Windscreen, Clear Corners, SmartTop Roof Module, 17" AMG Alloys + Pirelli PZero Neros, Green Filters
On Order: 2009 SLK 350, Artic White, Gullwing Red, P1 Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Heating Pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in