post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bi-xenon headlight aim adjustment

Can the bi-xenon headlights be adjusted to correct the aim? I had my new SLK350 out at night a few times and the driver's side headlight doesn't throw the light as far as the passenger side and it is particularly noticable when going downhill. I'm assuming any adjustment would have to be done by the dealer.

I will take it to the dealer to check, but was wondering if anybody else needed to have this done after delivery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
Send a message via Yahoo to Motzkoman
RE: Bi-xenon headlight aim adjustment

I always thought the drivers side was aadjusted lower than the passenger so as not to blind oncoming traffic...yours may be adjusted right...[:o)]

BTW - if you are available Sunday, we have another SLK Meet & Drive...starting in Redwood City:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1213155&posts=6&fid=27

Hope to see you at one of them...[:D][:D][:D]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '06 SLK55

Does this occur when there are 2 people in the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SLK55 AMG

Quote:
SLK4BD - 6/22/2005 7:24 PM

Can the bi-xenon headlights be adjusted to correct the aim? I had my new SLK350 out at night a few times and the driver's side headlight doesn't throw the light as far as the passenger side and it is particularly noticable when going downhill. I'm assuming any adjustment would have to be done by the dealer.

I will take it to the dealer to check, but was wondering if anybody else needed to have this done after delivery.
That is by design. For the Right Hand drive cars (eg. UK) it is the opposite.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 SLK 350
(Thread Starter)

It makes sense that the drivers side is adjusted lower, but it still seems that the aim is off and the drivers side headlight should throw the light farther than it does. So, is there a way to have the dealer adjust the headlight aim?

Maybe I'm just getting used to sitting lower to the ground.

Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320

I have the same concern. Also, it seems like the passenger side is aimed too far to the right. So, it does a great job of illuminating the shrubbery on the side of the road. The dealer checked it and said it was aimed correctly.

I was able to adjust the aim on my 2001 SLK320 but I can't find any way to adjust it on the SLK350. I've more or less gotten used to the way it is, but would like a bit more illumination further down the road and less on the side of the road.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 06' SLK350

If it helps any.. My Nissan Murano does the same thing. The passenger side lights up further and more to the right. I've asked to adjust it and they said it's setup this way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350

Has anyone found a way to adjust them yet? I do almost all of my driving in and around the city, so I never get to turn my brights on. When I'm driving under the street lights it's okay, but on stretches of interstate without them, I can't see as far as I need to (except on the right side). Considering the amount of trash and debris on the highways around here, I never know what to expect. A few nights ago, a car had just passed me (I let them sometimes) and drove over what looked like a large piece of plastic (maybe from someone's car?) and it flew up into my driver's side mirrow and busted all over the place. It knocked out my mirror and it was dangling by a couple of wires (the one's that power the auto dimming). When I got to a place to pull over and inspect the damage, I was able to snap the mirror back into place, and there was only a small rub through the clear coat on top of the mirror housing (thank God). If my lights were a little better (or the lights on the car passing me), I could have moved over another lane to the right and missed the trash. I'm tempted to just drive with the brights on all the time with all the junk I see on the road (bricks, boards, I even saw an aluminum ladder in the road a couple of months back).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a matter of fact, they DO have both manual vertical and horizontal adjustments. In fact, this is an important part of the procedure for "zero position adjustment", which is still needed even with self-leveling. At long last I found the docs! And it includes a photo indicating the position of the screws and examples of how the light pattern should align with the matte of the aiming tool (positioned in front of the vehicle). Even without one of these, you may be able to adjust slightly to taste. Just be careful!

http://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/me...10_p_8260v.pdf

I haven't included all the sub-referenced documents, but you can see what their document IDs are, in case you need to look them up or want to refer your shop to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in