V1 Detector Install Instructions/Photos to 12V Access. Plug - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
V1 Detector Install Instructions/Photos to 12V Access. Plug

I am very pleased with the V1 installation I've made on my US SLK55. I removed the panel under the glovebox and connected the V1 power supply to the passenger footwell 12V Accessory Plug wiring which goes on and off with the ignition -- I can leave the V1 switched on all the time and it turns on and off with the ignition. Wiring (telephone cords) to the V1 main unit and the remote are almost completely hidden and the remote mounts perfectly between the tach and speedometer.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but I think they will be good enough to provide some help.

Here you go:

-Remove the passenger-side floor mat.

-Remove 3 T20 Torrx screws holding the black panel under the glove box

-Pull rear edge of black panel to in front of the carpet at the firewall

-Insert a large screwdriver from below under the bottom edge of the side of the black panel near where the 12V outlet is mounted. Pry out the spring connector to release the panel (SEE PHOTO)

-Swing panel down and out enough to give access to electrical connections

-Squeeze and disconnect the electrical connector from the footwell light

-VERY CAREFULLY pry off the L-shaped connector from the back of the 12V outlet (SEE PHOTO)

-Strip and solder + and - connectors to for the V1 powersupply or other unit. On my US SLK55 the ground wire is brown; the Positve 12V wire is Black/Yellow.

_Mount the V1 on the desired location (for me this is beside the rear view mirror, high on the windshield). Measure the length of wiring you need before starting the wire installation to be sure you have enough wire. Route the phone-line for the V1 main unit along the backside of the A-pillar cover and behind the moulding at the top of the windshield.

-Mount the V1 Remote between the tach and speedometer -- it is a perfect fit and does not even require any Velcro or similar to hold it in place (SEE PHOTO). Measure the wire length before starting the routing. Route the phone line for the V11 remote in the tight gap between the brushed aluminum piece and the padded dash piece just above the ignition switch and then down along the seam with the center console. Pry off the spring connector for the black panel on the driver side (as above for the passenger side, PHOTO) and route the phone line through that area. Reach through from the passenger side into the center of the dash behind the Climate Control for the remote's phone line and pull it through to connect it to the power supply.

-Reassemble in reverse order. Put the black panel under the glove box up and in the general area of final location before connecting the 12V electrical connector because the wires may limit your ability to wrestle the panel in place.

-Check operation of the V1 and the Accessory Plug before snapping the panel info place and installing the screws.

-You should have a very clean installation with only a short pice of wiring sowing above the steering wheel.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 10:47 PM
CP1
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55 AMG
Send a message via MSN to CP1
RE: V1 Detector Install Instructions/Photos to 12V Access. Plug

Easier way:

Take car to high quality sound system installer. Tell them what you want. Pay $50. Pick up car after 1/2 hour. Plug in V1.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: SLK55 //AMG
Send a message via AIM to SIlver_Lana

Quote:
CP1 - 2/7/2005 1:47 AM

Easier way:

Take car to high quality sound system installer. Tell them what you want. Pay $50. Pick up car after 1/2 hour. Plug in V1.
Some of us like the satisfaction of working with our hands.
Nice job by the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CP1 - 2/6/2005 11:47 PM

Easier way:

Could have. Then I could have stopped by Oil Can Henry's or Jiffy Lube for an oil change on the way home.

Thanks, but I wouldn't trust an audio intaller to do this job without breaking a connector or the like --at least not my town. Of course, Utah is not Texas.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350 due 03/05

Few mechanic's or audio installers will do a job with the same care and attention to detail as the owner.

It also depends on the owner, their outlook and ability. Some will have an SLK and consider it another car, whilst for others it's a machine to treat with care. Some people are just useless at working with their hands or considering practical effort, sooner having someone else do a half hearted job..

I think you can guess, I am with the camp of doing it myself.

And I should add SLK55er, thank you for your post it will be most valuable when fitting my road angel (when my car arrives 4 weeks).

I think a forum is coming together when we place informative posts. The extreme being the guy chipping in on here, suggesting SLK55er should have just paid some guy $50 dollers![xx(]

Not a huge dig CP1, you did caveat your comment with 'easier way', and you have contributed many good posts yourself.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: SLK 55 AMG

slk55er,

Thank you for posting the instruciton. Much much appreciated. I will try to install my V1 in the same way when I get my SLK55 at the end of March (yeah! it is produciton now!).

Cheers
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: SLK350

slk55er

This kind of post is what makes this forum so good. Well thought through, illustrated, and presented with care.

Thanks for the effort mate.

Personally, I will never unleash a someone who has never laid eyes on an slk on this job. Like you, I would have thoguht about it, tried a few things, and ultimately enjoy the success of a job well done.

cheers!
roadsta
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002

Now the trick is to be able to quickly hide the detector if you're stopped by cops...

I'd do this to my car, if the radars weren't illegal over here. This country kinda sucks. It has the lowest speed limits in europe, is increasingly strict in just about everything road wise (30kmh limits inside some cities now, that's like 18mph, although I have nothing against the fact that they dropped the alcohol level down to 0.5 from the previous 0.8).

If I was caught with a radar, I could kiss my ass good bye :\
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:04 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: SL550
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Posting "how to" instructions...

No one should doubt my position on the merits of "doing it yourself". My only frustration with posting "how to" instructions to a normal thread on this forum is that after a short time it gets lost among other threads. My work around has been to post photos to the gallery to supplement instructions in the normal thread. Problem there is that multiple members cannot conveniently post to the same album in the gallery. Also, there is no place for a narrative of any length. I think a separate R171 "how to" or "technical tips" forum would be useful.

Quote:
roadsta - 2/10/2005 5:40 AM

slk55er

This kind of post is what makes this forum so good. Well thought through, illustrated, and presented with care.

Thanks for the effort mate.

Personally, I will never unleash a someone who has never laid eyes on an slk on this job. Like you, I would have thoguht about it, tried a few things, and ultimately enjoy the success of a job well done.

cheers!
roadsta
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

RE: Posting "how to" instructions...

Quote:
fgwinn - 2/10/2005 7:04 AM

No one should doubt my position on the merits of "doing it yourself". My only frustration with posting "how to" instructions to a normal thread on this forum is that after a short time it gets lost among other threads. My work around has been to post photos to the gallery to supplement instructions in the normal thread. Problem there is that multiple members cannot conveniently post to the same album in the gallery. Also, there is no place for a narrative of any length. I think a separate R171 "how to" or "technical tips" forum would be useful.
I know what you mean. What we need is a sub forum where one of us could move threads with instructions and info stuff, and set them as "sticky" topics. A sub forum where nobody else can make new threads...

Oh well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R171 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in