SLK32 Kompressor Clutch Engagement - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 04:31 PM
Don

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
SLK32 Kompressor Clutch Engagement

Anyone have issues with the way the SLK32 supercharger (kompressor) clutch engages? I’ve noticed that the on part throttle accelerations the engine hesitates and stumbles some when the supercharger (SC) clutch engages. Sometimes the hesitation is very noticeable while other times it’s less conspicuous. Some of the folks at the C32 board refer to SC activation sensation as a “BIG “jerk� and seem very upset about it. I’m not particularly concerned, but I’m not sure my “jerk� is as bad as some of the others have reported.<br><br>
<br><br>
The rpm that the SC clutch engages will vary from around 1000 rpm up to 3000 rpm depending upon throttle position. But even at very light throttle settings the SC clutch grabs before the engine rpm crosses 3000. For those of you that haven’t noticed the sensation of the SC clutch engaging, try accelerating VERY slowly from a standstill with the tranny in position “2�. After the tranny automatically shifts to 2nd gear, squeeze on enough throttle to slowly raise the engine rpm to 3000. If you accelerate slowly enough, you’ll feel the engine hesitate as the SC clutch engages at about 2900 to 3000 rpm. If you mash the throttle more aggressively, SC activation will occur at lower rpm and may be less perceptible.<br><br>
<br><br>
How noticeable is the SC clutch engagement for the rest of you? Is it a problem? The more slowly I accelerate, the more I notice the SC clutch grab. I’d say it’s a little annoying sometimes but not a big deal. What do you think?<p>cx467594-a.vista1.sdca.home.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 04:55 PM
Wayne

Ditto! However, I only notice it when ...

I've manually shifted to say 3rd or 2nd though and going slow as you describe. Don't notice it when in D.<p>216-36-60-71-dsl.hevanet.com
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 05:57 PM
Pej D.

I notice the engagement at around 3000rpm on my manual 230, when accelerated slowly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 08:29 PM
JR

Try this

Put you SLK32 in W mode.<br> <br> Then accelerate slowly like you are window shopping, but keep the throttle steady and let the rpms climb.<br> <br> When the rpms pass around 1,500 I get a jerk. It feels as if the car just changed gears...but it didn't. It's still in second.<br> <br> Do any of you have this? Is this the torque converter engaging or the supercharger? I thought the supercharger only activated under heavy throttle.<br> <br> Sometimes the jerk is almost a slam. When the car is cold I can hardly notice it.<br> <br> If you have this symptom please email me.<p>adsl-80-225-191.mia.bellsouth.net
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:23 PM
Don

I tried that...

earlier today before I saw your post. Starting slowly in '2' while in winter mode is an excellent way to feel the SC clutch engage. But if I accelerate very slowly, I don't feel the SC clutch grab until almost 3000 rpm.<br> <br> I will try this again tomorrow and pay more attention to what happens around 1500 rpm. Maybe you're feeling the torque convertor lock-up. But I've never noticed anything violent about TC lock up. Hopefully we'll get some feedback from a few more folks and be able to shed some light on your problem.<br> <br> BTW JR, your C32 message board has been down this evening.<p>cx467594-a.vista1.sdca.home.com
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:34 PM
Don

Do you notice a significant jolt...

when the SC kicks in? I feel the engine stutter a little. But JR (see post below) has reported (on his C32 forum) a significant and toublesome 'jerk' in his C32.<p>cx467594-a.vista1.sdca.home.com
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 06:51 AM
Bruce R.

The probable reason you feel a "jerk" when the blower cuts in is.....

all of a sudden you're drawing a lot of horsepower from the engine. <br> The supercharger draws as much as 60+ hp., if you don't think you're going to feel that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. ;-)<br> You can feel the same thing, though to a lesser extent, on an older car when the A/C compressor kicks in. You can hear that as well when the car is idleing.<p>congo.wssc.dst.md.us
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 08:58 AM
Butch

Kinda makes me chuckle that owners who buy a hi-po car like the C32 or SLK32...

...would complain about a tremendous power surge or 'jerk' sensation or being thrown back onto the seatback when the accelerator is punched!!! These cars are not their fathers old Mercedes Benz's from the 80's (to paraphrase an Olds commercial)!!!<br> <br> How else can anyone expect a high performance supercharged car with relatively low weight-to-power ratio to behave? It'll behave like a muscle car!!! Maybe they should have bought a Jaguar XK-8 instead, IMHO! <p>
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 09:00 AM
Zeppelin

Why don't you un-plug the SC clutch(connector) and drive..

If the jerk is still there then it is Torque converter(as I suspect). I will try this today myself and report back tomorrow.<p>206-pool2.ras11.calan.tii-dial.net
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 09:15 AM
Don

I tried to explain this on the C32 board...

that's why I defined the slow acceleration test to demonstrate the SC clutch engagement at 3000 rpm. But the C32 guys insist that their jerk always happens at 1500 rpm, so I'm groping for possibilities under the assumtption that their observations are accurate.<p>cx467594-a.vista1.sdca.home.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in