Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1998 SLK 230
Location: Melbourne, AU
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
that box there is a resonator. its job is to cut certain frequencies out of the exhaust note and in cabin "drone".
my car had the AMG styling kit applied to it and it came with the AMG sport muffler and that did not have a resonator and it sounded OK. when i went to a proper straight through muffler (magnaflow). it was VERY loud with no resonator, sounded crap (raspy exhaust note), and the cabin drone (resonance at 3000rpm) was really loud inside the car.
i ended up having to weld in a aftermarket high flow offset resonator (straight through) and it made the exhaust deeper and cut the drone...
i strongly suggest you keep it on the 4cylinder cars...
- ASP pulley kit
- 87mm supercharger pulley
- Ported Eaton M62 supercharger
- Ported supercharger inlet manifold
- MAF screen & throttle body screen delete
- Automatic intercooler spray kit
- Single 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-flow cat
- Magnaflow rear muffler + Lukey Ultraflo resonator
- Shift-I progressive shift light
- Custom ECU tune
- Air box delete (custom) with BMC airfilter
- 10c degree STAR thermo fan mod
- FireStorm igntion coil booster
- 5 Bar fuel pressure regulator